Tikal, Guatemala

kgd

Finally back at home from my Caribbean trip, at least for 1 day but now I'm off for a buisness meeting up near TO. Anyhow, I had a great time on our Tikal trip tour, a day trip from Guatemala city on Sunday. Tikal represents a rather famous set of Myan ruins known for their placement in the middle of the jungle. They were, dressed up in Lucas effects, featured as the pyramids of the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi for you trilogy fans out there. Lots of howler monkeys and spider monkeys about. You can't help but get a sense of awe looking at these massive ruins, created 300 BC - 500 AD out of shear muscle and sweat.

Our tour started out with a 40 minute flight from Guatemala city which left at 7:00 am. This is the local airport where we caught are flight. The plane we used was bigger than this one, but still only sat about 15 people. The second pic shows a shot of the volcano prominant from Guatemala City.

DSC_0002-10.jpg

DSC_0005-11.jpg

A couple of shots out of the plane window. The first is a cool bridge spanning the rising mist. The rest are of the countryside.

DSC_0009-10.jpg

DSC_0018-4.jpg

DSC_0024-5.jpg

This is a large lake just outside of the park. Apparently is has some pretty sizeable crocs.

DSC_0026-3.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

The park was about 30 minute busride in from the air port. Just as we entered the park, I noticed this big tigar spider. While zoomed in on, the spider was about half the size of the palm of my hand - quite sizable.

DSC_0028-4.jpg

A tucan - a bit smaller variety then your typical 'fruit loops' model

DSC_0041-2.jpg

kgd

Unfortunately a bad shot of a howler monkey who was facing away from us not towards us

DSC_0048-5.jpg

This spider monkey was much more willing to pose for the camera!

DSC_0131-1.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

A cool tarantuala coming out of its burrow

DSC_0208.jpg

A large Ciaba tree estimated at 150 years old. These trees span well above most of the jungle canapy and are considered sacred by the Myans. Even today there is considerable trepediation to cut them down, so in farm fields you will see them growing unhindered while everything else has been cleared. I'm the guy with the hat for scale.

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0217-1.jpg

This shot captures the jungle pretty well I think

DSC_0036-1.jpg

On to some of the ruins

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0066-2.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing these pics. That's amazing stuff right there! :) :thumbup:

I really enjoyed the pics, Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Just awesome!

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
That is incredible. I hope to visit there someday, simply based on your pics! Thanks.

Awesome pictures. I have a lot of the same ones from my trip there. Quite an amazing place.