Tim Galyean engraved Junkyard Dawg flipper

This framelock was my Christmas gift from my wife this year, and it is arguably my favorite piece in my collection. Tim's artistic designs are ingenious, and his workmanship and fit and finish are impeccable.

The engraving is done by CJ Cai of Hawaii, and it is executed perfectly and fully captures Tim's artistic vision. As is obvious from the pictures below, the knife is meant to recall bomber planes from the '50s and '60s. The level of detail here is astounding, especially on the nose art.

1136790258-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_1.jpg

1136790271-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_2.jpg

1136790283-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_3.jpg

1136790355-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_4.jpg

1136790372-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_5.jpg

1136790425-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_6.jpg

1136790438-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_7.jpg

1136790450-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_8.jpg

1136790461-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_9.jpg

1136790476-Galyean_Engraved_Junkyard_Dawg_A.jpg

This piece flips crazy good, as good as a Boguszewski (I have 2 Bogis for comparison). The action is very smooth, and the detent really makes the blade jump out with enough momentum to easily open fully from any angle you hold the knife. Even my wife can consistently flip open this piece, and she sucks at opening flippered knives. The lock-up is like a fixed blade, too.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the handle of the knife is fully contoured, both up and down as well as front to back. It is extremely comfortable and ergonomic to hold. In spite of the contouring, the knife remains very pocketable, and it is easy to forget that it is there when you carry it in your pocket.

Tim is undoubtedly one of the most talented up-and-coming makers around, and I for one am truly looking forward to see what he comes up with next.

Attachments

• Galyean logo 1.jpg
    Galyean logo 1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
Extremely nice--and thoughtful gift from your wife.

Dude, you had better have gotten her something really good if you hope to reach gift parity.:D

BladeGoblin

Banned
That's a beaut, do you plan on making that a user?

I think using that one would be a sin.:eek:

Commodore, judging by the blades you have put up for sale, you must have one hell of a collection.

How many customs do you have currently?

What a beautiful knife,love that clip! :thumbup:
Did ya' get your wife something just as nice? :)

That is absolutely beautiful!! I am an admirer of Tim's work myself!! Wow, what an amazing gift!! Yes, he posted a picture of a beautiful knife that he got his wife!!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

BladeGoblin, I have been carrying and using this piece since I got it. I won't be beating up on it, though, except maybe in a true emergency. Tim says that this piece is actually easier for him to maintain and refinish than most of his other knives, and he was kind enough to say that he will take care of the piece for me whenever I need it. So I feel extremely secure in carrying it and using it due in part to Tim's exemplary business ethics.

The KnifeCollector, you are correct, I did get my wife a nice little JL Williams wharny. I also got her a Rick Hinderer Kubaton pen and the Dior bag that she's had her eye on, so I'd say I've more than evened things up ;)

The artwork on that is amazing, takes a great knife and adds another dimension. Nice to see you finally got one you'd been craving.

Thanks Keith! Here you go:

Blade length: 4 1/8" from tip to handle
Overall length: 9 1/4"
Blade thickness: 3/16" at ricasso
Blade steel: CPM 154
Blade finish: Handrubbed
Edge: Plain
Handle material: Titanium, satin finished and engraved by CJ Cai
Backspacer: Black G-10
Clip: Tip down, titanium, satin finished and engraved by CJ Cai

It's a big folder, a little bit bigger than Tim's standard Junkyard Dawg model.

I just have to say one thing - I'm surprised no one has mentioned this....
YOU SUCK!!!! That is the most ingenious and beautifully designed folder I've ever seen. Use it in good health.... :p I bet it looks good next to the JL Williams pearl handled Iceman. My God, how do you ever put those things away and go to sleep at night... ;)
Steve

LaBella

←JerzeeDevil→
that knife is amazing, does your wife have any unmarried sisters?

awesome piece!:thumbup:

Steve, thanks! The knife sure does look good next to the JL Williams MOP Iceman. Those two are the centerpieces of my collection. I do have a hard time putting them away and going to sleep at night. My wife has had to institute a "no knives in the bed" rule, LOL.

LaBella, my wife actually has unmarried twin sisters :)

Tim does have a website at www.galyeancustom.com, but he's really backlogged (he's a part-time maker with a full-time day job), so he's not taking orders anymore and hasn't been for at least a half-year if not longer. Your best shot at getting one of his pieces is at his table at a knife show or on the secondary market.

LaBella

←JerzeeDevil→
commodorewheeler said:
Steve, thanks! The knife sure does look good next to the JL Williams MOP Iceman. Those two are the centerpieces of my collection. I do have a hard time putting them away and going to sleep at night. My wife has had to institute a "no knives in the bed" rule, LOL.

LaBella, my wife actually has unmarried twin sisters :)

/photos sent!

;)

Perhaps LaBella and I could get a double date with your sisters'-n-law, how about posting some pics (just kidding) :D
Have fun with the Galyean, and make sure you pay attention to that NO STEP sign ;)
Steve