Time for an Introduction

Hey Guys, I have been reading these forums for a while now, and posting only very occasionally (I don't have much to add yet), but it's probably about time for an introduction. My name is Steve Nicholls, from Perth Western Australia, just graduated with a degree in History and now have some spare time after work to focus on learning to make better knives. I Have a Coote grinder on its way in the post so when it arrives I'll probably start posting some more "how do I...?" threads :p

On that note - does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to set up a coote grinder? I have very limited space and it's a bit of a concern as to how I will set it up to be able to allow for tilting the unit back for contact wheel work. I'm thinking that perhaps a small grinder-stand will be a good option to free up bench space? Anyone done the same with their Coote?

In the mean time, thanks to everyone here who provides all of the great info on these boards - it's always a pleasure to read and learn from your posts.
Here's hoping we all have a great year and by the end of it know more than we knew last year :D
Cheers everyone,
Steve.

g'day steve, its always good to see another Aussie ..... i'm a newbie here too mate ,so i'm sorry i carn't help with ya grinder but i'm sure someone will be able to ;)

G'day Steve,
An idea for people with limited space in the shop (or those who work in the garage) is a movable grinder base.Make a sturdy rolling cart with locking wheels.Bolt the grinder on it.You can roll it out into the fresh air and grind outside in good weather.The under area and sides of the cart can be used for storing the wheels and belts.Use heavy duty wheels with good locking mechanisms.You don't want it moving about while grinding.Tuck it in the corner out of the way when not in use.I have several pieces of equipment set up like this.My forge is on such a cart, too.The propane tank stores underneath.
Cheers Mate - Stacy

Hey guys pleasure to meet.
Great idea about the moveable cart, I would be worried about movement/vibration but as you say, if it was heavy duty enough it would probably be a non-issue.
I share the garage with the dog at the moment :eek: , so grinding outside could be a great idea. ...set it up next to the barbie, wheel in an esky, quench in the fish pond.. happy days :cool:

Still, to make things easy I might just clear some room in the shed - I've got an old lathe that's been sitting in there for about 5 years that I just can't bring myself to sell, always figure I will use it again. Might just have to bite the bullet and sell it to make room.

I'll look into the cart idea and maybe weld something up to try.
Cheers,
Steve.

Welcome Steve.
I have a Coote mounted on a movable table. Since the Coote is top heavy, I mounted mine on a scrap piece of 1/2" steel plate. Here's a quick sketch.
Coote%20base.JPG

You will want the contact wheel to overhang the table. I used the steel plate, in place of wood, for the weight and that the metal dust can ignite due to sparks.
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Steve,
Good to see you here.
Your intro is like a 12 step program.
I love it.

Here is mine.
My name is Darrel Ralph.
I am a tool junkie and I never been able to stay on the wagon:D :D :D
Once I started making knives my addiction go worse.
Now my addiction has grown to the point that I am expanding my shop AGAIN.
Please give me strength!

Welcome Steve, I have a similar addiction to machinery, like most who hang out here. I'll be talking to you, Fred:thumbup:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, nc_cooter that drawing is great, cheers for the offer to email you I'll take you up on that in a couple of weeks when I start mounting the grinder :eek: I like the idea from Raymond to mount the motor underneath too, I'll see what materials I can scrounge and then try and get stuck into it over the weekend.
Thanks again guys, have a good one,
Steve.

Back