Time (Zone) Travelling Micro Bowie

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by SingleGrind, Aug 9, 2015.

1. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Ok, so it may not be real time travel, but 3 hours behind me is about as close as this little knife is gonna get!

Though my collection is fairly small now, my Mini Micro Bowie by Bhakta is currently the only HI knife that I carry and use everyday, and is absolutely my favorite for that reason among others. I made a kydex sheath for it, and did some light reprofiling work on the main bevel/edge (basically a convex zero-grind) so it stays hair popping sharp. It's taken about 2 hours to get the edge to where it's at, and there's still a bit more to go. It stays attached to me from the time I wake up til the time I go to sleep, sometimes longer. I did not think I would ever part with it.

Bawanna has generously offered to do a checkering job on my beloved MMB, and it will be making the cross-country trip starting tomorrow (or maybe Tuesday). I'm both excited and anxious to part with it, but I know it will come back lookin sweeter than stolen honey. I still had to put it in the box Saturday, just to ease into the goodbye :D

Being the curious bugger that I am, I asked if we could try to do a little more than just a before and after thread, and include a couple shots from during the checkering process. He was all for it! So here are a couple shots of the knife, the first being most recent, and the others from after I made the sheath. I know they're not the best shots of the blade, but they do a great job showing the handle.

I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

-SG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dobe_1

Dobe_1

Jun 19, 2013
    Nice looking blade, and I like the sheath too. I need to learn how to make a kydex sheath.

3. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Nothing like putting on the pressure buddy. Like your sending your first born. But I understand, mine is with me sunup to sundown and beyond too. I'm already chanting don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up.

I made a kydex for mine too and I have a couple Pugs nice leather sheaths. Your kydex looks way more better than mine, nice and clean.

I'm anxious to see and hopefully not feel the edge you put on this bad boy.

The handle looks really good, from the picture I doubt it will ask for a whole new handle unless of course you decide you want one.

I'll keep thine eyes peeled for it.

Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up.

4. PappaCutter

PappaCutter

Jul 24, 2015
    Very nice set up. I too dig the sheath. Simple but looks great and fiunctional.

5. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    I am hoping you two have discussed possibly not cutting quite deep enough to give perfect artisan pyamids with sharp points, but instead opting to leave little flats on top?

I have hated to do it, but most every perfectly checkered item i have ever owned which was subject to recoil or hard pulling/pushing with hand has ended up having those perfect artwork points sanded down just a hair to blount them as they were just too abrasive to even calloused skin.

The handle on that knife, the wood, the grain, the shape, the wide expanse of bare wood, does indeed call out for checkering, fleur de lis even....

6. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Bawanna: No pressure man! I'm sure it will come out great. I think we stick with just checkers, since I really like these wood scales too. Feel free to play with it, but you'll definitely want to tape the blade up after, maybe double :)

Thanks for the kind words about the sheath guys. Took me a couple times heating and pressing but I like how it came out. The goal was to ride on my belt at about the same height as the one it came with, but just not extend as far. The point on the other one was always poking out from my shirt. The clip plate on this one turned out to be reversible too, which was not totally intended.

mtngunr: Funny you should mention that. I am aiming to avoid the sea of tiny diamonds that is all too popular. Found a couple pictures of a more spaced out checker pattern that I really liked, and sent them as reference. He says it's called "skip line" and that he can probably do something similar (don't wanna add too much pressure, artists interpretation you know?). We had a good discussion via email and I believe we are on the same page.

7. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    I seldom bring the diamonds to a full point to avoid that cheese grater finish. Some prefer it, I had a detective that says if it doesn't wear a hole in his shirt every two weeks it's not agressive enough.

He doesn't use my grips, think he uses VZ's which is fine and dandy with me.

It also takes twice as long to achieve that perfect pointed diamond finish so it's a win/win for me.

I had my leather sheaths made and did my kydex sheath so the point of the blade is barely below belt level, it rides high, which is best for me since I'm a full time sitter. I used the stretchy bungy cord through my grommets so the sheath has some flexability. If I get caught on something the knife will just move and flex until I'm not caught.
    I wear it on my left side even though I'm completely normal.
    We call it the get off me knife as I use it to stab the hand that is trying to grab my 1911 on my normal side. Hopefully never ever happen but I spent too much time in the boy scouts to not be prepared.

The skip line also helps in avoiding the agressiveness but still improves the grip immensely.

8. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    I like that bungee cord idea. I prefer clips myself because I like the ability to put on or take off the knife quickly, plus some of my hiking pants don't have belt loops :/

Mine rides on my right hip since my flashlight goes on the left (made a kydex holster for that too). Then my trusty Emerson CQC-7AW, that's the one with the drop point blade, stays in my back pocket for casual use. That one comes out first, unless I'm with people who know about the bowie. The CQC-7 is just a tad more sheeple-friendly, even when I draw it with that all-too-satisfying "CRACK!"

9. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    Skipline sounds great...very familiar to those of us who remember the 60s and 70s....to those unfamiliar, think checkered-diagonal-plaid....perfect pyramids still rule in some circles but a handful of rubberbands coating a handgun grip used to mark a pro, too...when i think of the perfect pyramids i had to sand, and the work involved to put them there, i still wince....they were so beautiful...and useless for me...maybe perfect for a bullseye gun.....and i REALLY wince over some of the checked steel on custom handguns...talk about a cheese-grater for a handle...

10. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    I love front strap checkering but it has to be fine. My Dan Wesson CBob is too course. I had to flatten it a bit.

Wish I knew how to checker steel, I have a bunch of front straps that I would surely be checkering.

They say it's easier to do than wood but sure don't seem like it to me.

Guess I'll go set by the mailbox and wait for this knife to show up.

11. mtngunr

mtngunr

Apr 10, 2005
    May as well set up a lemon aide stand while out there and make a little money or practice fending off muggers...if you want practice, a big jar stuffed with play money helps...

12. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Didn't make it to the post office today, this darn "work" business got in the way. Gonna have our wonderful secretary mail it tomorrow when she goes to the post office anyways. I'd say expect it Thursday or Friday, but if lemonade is still an option, count me in!

I feel like I'm putting some serious trust into the United States Postal Service...

13. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    You are indeed putting a ton of trust in the USPS. If it ain't expected till Thursday or Friday I might just as well mosey back up to the house for a few days. Go to work and such.

My mother carried the male for 38 years I think it was, nobody had less faith in the system than my mother but thankfully they have never failed me on incoming or more importantly outgoing blades and gun handles.

The bigger risk of course is the checkerer person becoming attached to closely to the subject and struggling to put it back in a box for it's trip home. Always pulled that off too but there were a few close ones I clearly remember.

14. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    The Time Travelling Bowie made it to the NW today fine and dandy, all is well. It was quite well packaged and I'm certain even the USPS's biggest gorilla couldn't have harmed it.

One of the nicest 2nd generation Micro Bowie's I've laid eyes on. I've seen quite a few too. Bhakta did a beautiful job on this one for sure.
    No pictures yet but I will strive to do so as the operation begins.

Generally the first step is flat sanding the side to flush up the pins, smooth things out and create a nice surface to start whittling on.

On first observation I think I can easily skip that step as the handles are perfect, the pins are perfectly smooth the attachment seems rock solid. Everything looks really good.

Hoping to get going on it Saturday or maybe even a bit tomorrow evening. I'm kind of anxious to get at it.

The thing is wicked wicked sharp. I'll definitely have to apply a couple layers of painters tape to protect my delicate hands. I think it would lop off a finger with little to no effort.

Oh and the sheath is quite nice, much prettier than my kydex efforts, more on that and everything else later.

Mods, I'm fine with moving this to the Cantina if you feel that is more appropriate. I know this is Auntie's showroom.
    This will be a work in progress so whatever you feel is bestest works for me.

15. kronckew

kronckew Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2003
    bawanna quotes:

1. ...I'm completely normal. i refer you to your signature line. :)

2. ...even the USPS's biggest gorilla couldn't have harmed it. aw, c'mon - it's an HI, an abrams m1a2 would have trouble harming it. ;)

looking forward to seeing pics of more of your excellent work...hopefully a few progress photos as you, er, progress.

16. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Glad to see you liked my homemade box :) Don't think I could have stuffed any more newspaper in there..

Thanks for the update, can't wait to see more pics!

Mods, I'm also fine with moving this to the cantina. I figured a thread about an HI knife was appropriate for the main forum, but it's obviously your call.

17. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    That's true, I could easily pry the door off the mail truck with this thing and not even scratch it.
    I'm really gonna try and focus on pictures, I get going and most of the time completely forget the camera.
    I'll do gooder this time. I hope.

18. Bookie

Bookie

Mar 25, 2014
    SingleGrind, were I you, I'd have myself worked up into a lather waiting on Bawanna to return your IBBB back to you already! He really does outstanding work and I won't even rag on him concerning this topic. I have a super-duper, one of a kind, extremely personalized, IBBB lounging around in a pair of Pugs Pants close at hand. It looks so sharp, pun intended, that I'm loath to use it on anything other than a confronted cat-burgler. Yes, A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N of it's arrival will be driving you crazy, but fear not. We forumites understand such diseases as this as well as the dreaded KLVUK, and are standing by offering our support while you decline into insanity, froth at the mouth, and send hate mail to Bawanna telling him to hurry up already. Yes, brother, we are there for you, feel for you, and just want to remind you that it will be worth the wait! Cheers, Bookie
    P.S., When you die, can I have it?

19. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    I got pictures of that Bookie IBBB. Shall I post em iffen I can find em?

I had a lot of fun and enjoyed doing that one. Sort of a free for all like when the kami's get to build whatever they want.

20. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    Ok, couldn't help myself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, that's enough, just showing off now.