timeline of tang stamps & dates

hey guys. i was checking thru this site and a few others, looking for ways to figure out the age of schrade/schrade walden knives. i seen on a earlier post, the way to date by the "N.Y. USA" STAMPS, but it seems that N.Y. USA & N.Y. U.S.A. are just general timelines or should i say guides to the age. it says in a earlier post that both stamps range from 1946-1973, with plain N.Y. ranging from 1946-1950's. i have heard that there is no absolute way to age them short of it being a calenar knife, wonder if this is true?? also, i have looked to see what the exact timeline for this company is, was it schrade that bought walden? what years was that? sorry if this all seems trivial to some, but i have keen interest in the dates and such. i have several schrades schrade/waldens. i also aquired a case bare-headed jack knife, real nice knife, and its tang is stamped case xx over U.S.A. its model # is 6202 1/2. any help with it would be appreciated also. and finally, can anyone tell me of a updated book about schrade? i have heard of one from 1974 i think, but that it didnt offer much history. sorry for the long post guys, the forum is slow today!!!

Hi fireman, you seem to be new at schrade collecting, as I am. I believe that Schrade became Schrade cut Walden in 1904. I will be happy for someone to correct me if I am wrong. Nice meeting you.

This would be a great thread for the 'Sticky'. Does anyone have some good, very clear illustrations of the various stamps/years? If not, I will probably copy those shown in Jimmy Sargart's book and use those.

Phil

I have a chart from an article printed in Knife World. I will try & post it tomorrow. Photobucket is down for maintenance and I can't upload it right now.

textoothpk said:
This would be a great thread for the 'Sticky'. Does anyone have some good, very clear illustrations of the various stamps/years? If not, I will probably copy those shown in Jimmy Sargart's book and use those.

Phil

Phil; Could/would you post what you have?? Right now, according to what Dale posted, about all I have is a bunch of scrap iron.... :)

tanx...

dannyb

Don't panic dannybee.

The one sure thing about Schrade is there are no (or few) absolutes. I posted the source so that others could use it for comparison with the lists they have. I am sure there are several on this forum who could add to this list of stampings.

This article was written before the close of the Schrade factory. It may be that the writer was given this info by people in the factory, who were busy getting ready to close the factory,(it was published the month before Schrade closed), with little or no attention to the thought of establishing an exhaustive list for history's sake. I think Codger said something to the effect that exceptions are the rule with Schrade.

I am not familiar with the writer of the article (B.K. Brooks), but perhaps Phil, Codger or LT know him and his credentials as regards Schrade. He certainly knows more about the stampings than I do. :eek: I see it as a starting point, not as the final word in Schrade stampings.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the stampings you have that are not on the list. What do you mean when you say; "about all I have is a bunch of scrap iron....?" Do you mean that most of yours are newer knives? If so, welcome to the club. Most of my Schrades are the newer ones, 1973 or newer. I don't consider them scrap iron, but they are GREAT users.

Keep looking, you will probably find your stampings. Who knows, maybe you have a rare one or two. :cool:

That is but a glimmering of the stamps used. As far as I know, those are correct, but far, far from complete. And exceptions? Those of you who have a 41OT Maverick, turn over the knife from the usual stamp side, and tell me what you see on the pile side. No, and there are no Ulster markings, Imperial markings, NYKC markings, where is SCHRADE+? I mean, the ones they show are good, but.... I need to get Goins stampings book myself.

Codger

Sorry.. That's kind of one of those so called "no-brainers" I should have figured out...:foot:

Most of what I have would be the newer ones I'm most certain, but hey, been known not to know my own collection...:eek:

The SCHRADE + variations as Codger mentions is most predominate in what I have..

As for "pic-posting" - definitely need/intend to.. Gotta try my hand/luck using the scanner !!!

dannyb

hey guys! u are right charlie878, i am total rookie to schrades! but i have found that they seem to be quite easy to obtain here in the upstate of s.c.! i even found a ducks unlimited in a pawn shop saturday for $30. not to bad huh? the area i live in is farm country, mostly peach, corn, cattle, or hog farmers. so it seems that there is a abundance of schrades available if u know where to look. i recently got a schrade cut co. walden ny, and i have no idea of the ate to this knife. the stamp is just like the second from the left, top row in orvits post. neat little knife no doubt.

Back