Tip Up for the Carnivor

Thanks for all those that gave their views. After this survey and the active one at the last Show (people tried both) Tip up is the winner and my personal preference for this knife. The reason for most liner locks being in tip down is the ball detent. Lock backs always keep a constant pressure on the tang preventing an accidental opening. The new technology in the Rolling Lock allows the cam that is under constant spring pressure to hold the knife close. This is very positive and safe. Sal at Spyderco thinks this allows for a gravity knife. Yes if you pull back on the slide bar it releases the blade so it snaps open very easy.
Some of the comments were very constructive and got us thinking.
Deep Pocket Carry we will place the clip as far back as we can but our clip only allows it to go so far back.
The differences in our design, one screw hole with tab and the three hole designs is the thread size. Most the three-hole designs use a 2/56 and there isn’t much thread there. Our clip uses a 6/32 and the hole is drilled undersized with a #37 drill bit to give 100% thread. In test I can hold the knife down by standing on it grab the clip with vise grips and pull with leg and arm strength without pulling the clip off.
A soft clip is not feasible to expensive for us to do. One trick I can pass along is use heat shrink tubing. This subdues the clip and protects the world from your clip that is what scratches more things than the Knife itself. Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions
Bob Taylor

shootist16

knife law moderator
Any idea when the Carnivours will be shipping again? I know the demand was overwhelming.

------------------
Front Site Communications "web sites with impact" http://www.knoxplace.com/fsc

shootist16
We are in the process of getting them out the Dealers and Distrubitors will be getting them the end of this month.

Bob Taylor

I've tried the shrink tube on a few of my knives, and it does a wonderful job at subduing the glare and protecting objects from scratches. Regardless of these attributes, I decided to remove the tubing from the knives I carry in my front pockets. The reason is the tubing has a fairly slick surface that enables the clips to easily slide off and out of the pocket! What we need is a grittier tube wrapping...does it exist?

Back