Recommendation? Tips for Shipping Carbon Steel Knives?

So I’m looking at getting one of my recent pieces sold and before I do so, I want to make sure that I have the shipping process down (I’m terrified of something happening during shipping).

Does anyone have some tips on how to both protect the blade and prevent rust/corrosion? I’ve heard WD-40 can create an unsightly effect on the blade, and am therefore considering using good ol’ 3-in-1. My plan is to coat the blade with oil, followed by a thick wrap with a shop towel. The handle (stabilized maple burl) will most likely get a light coat of boiled linseed followed by an identical towel wrap. After the whole knife is towel wrapped, I’ll do a layer of bubble wrap for cushioning.

This whole assembly will then be put in a zipper pouch and then my actual shipping box.

Any issues with my planned method? Thanks!

I've never worried too much about rust while shipping - just give blade and handle a good coat of wax (I tend to use mostly Ren wax - amazon.com/dp/B003AJWN62/ ) and wrapped as you've got. Should be no problems.

For packaging, I have been using the green foam board from Lowes. I trace out the shape of the knife and sheath and cut it will long razor. For the blade, I use the piece just cut out and cut it in half. One part goes back in, then the knife, then the other half on top of the knife. The board is cut to fit exactly in a flat rate box so nothing moves around.
hv92KoT.jpg

For packaging, I have been using the green foam board from Lowes. I trace out the shape of the knife and sheath and cut it will long razor. For the blade, I use the piece just cut out and cut it in half. One part goes back in, then the knife, then the other half on top of the knife. The board is cut to fit exactly in a flat rate box so nothing moves around.
hv92KoT.jpg
Awesome info, thank you. Also, that printout you include is fantastic! I’m thinking about including a hand-written note due to the absence of a printer in my house

Awesome info, thank you. Also, that printout you include is fantastic! I’m thinking about including a hand-written note due to the absence of a printer in my house
Thanks. Rather than a certificate of authenticity from a no-name hobby maker, I decided to prepare a 'birth certificate' with overload of information that is important to us the maker, so they can feel more connected to what went into it. Each build is like a child where they are all slightly different, whether in the design, different materials, methods, or hurdles that were overcome in the build.

Your welcome

BTW both Lowes and Home Depot stocks it

You mentioned wrapping with a shop towel. I would not let the knife steel come in contact with anything absorbent. It will absorb any oil on the steel and trap moisture. Wrapping in plastic (e.g. freezer paper, stretch wrap, wax paper, etc) works. As mentioned above, the VCI paper is slick.

I coat with boos block board cream which is beeswax and food grade mineral oil. Easy to clean up and protects well. It can also enhance handles depending on the materials.

Back