Tire Hammer Plans by Clay Spencer

BTW, Clay writes in one of the first pages of the plan, to not use a filled tube for the anvil. I was thinking of a schedule 110 tube filled with lead at one point, but decided against it.

Phil

I take it from that that you have the plans then?

What vehicle make, model and year do the tire, spindle and bearing parts come from ?

What vehicle make, model and year do the tire, spindle and bearing parts come from ?

From the Clontz Plans
Part #16 Tire and Rim (emergency T115/70D14 or T125/70D15)
Part #17 Hub and Bearings (On rear axle from front drive minivan must fit rim)
Part #18 Axle (Rear axle from front drive van to fit hub/bearings)

Note 1 Hub and Rim must have same lug circle diameter and number of lugs. Chrysler Corp minivans from about 1982 to about 1987 work well and seem to be plentiful. Remove and discard brake drum and brake parts. Keep lug bolts and nuts. Important: check all rims to see that they fit the hub backwards.

From the Sources section: Axles, hubs and bearings from Northern or other trailer supply may be used--nothing smaller than 1.75" square axle or 1750 lbs capacity.

Last edited:
From the Clontz Plans
Part #16 Tire and Rim (emergency T115/70D14 or T125/70D15)
Part #17 Hub and Bearings (On rear axle from front drive minivan must fir rim)
Part #18 Axle (Rear axle from front drive van to fit hub/bearings)

Note 1 Hub and Rim must have same lug circle diameter and number of lugs. Chrysler Corp minivans from about 1982 to about 1987 work well and seem to be plentiful. Remove and discard brake drum and brake parts. Keep lug bolts and nuts. Important: check all rims to see that they fit the hub backwards.

From the Sources section: Axles, hubs and bearings from Northern or other trailer supply may be used--nothing smaller than 1.75" square axle or 1750 lbs capacity.

Thanks

Attention everyone who is interested in building this tire hammer:
I have personally spoken to Mr. Clay Spencer, and he has requested that I update his contact phone number. The one that is on this post is actually his wife's phone number. He wants everyone to know that his cell number is the best way to contact him (256) 558-3658.
Also, a colleague of mine purchased this exact build manual, and I went and saw it yesterday after he completed the build. It is AMAZING! I would recommend these plans to anyone desiring to build a power hammer themselves. I purchased a build manual for another style of power hammer that has a leaf spring on top and started making it. After seeing my colleague's tire hammer by Clay Spencer I have decided to abandon my current project and start over with this tire hammer. I was that impressed! It truly is an amazing power hammer and very good build manual. Another benefit of this tire hammer versus the one I was previously building is that the tire hammer by Clay Spencer takes up far less room in your workshop. It is an amazing machine that only takes up about two square foot of space. It may even be possible to make is smaller than that. My buddy made some minor size modifications to his, so I'm not sure what the manual called for. He beefed his up a little and made it a little bigger and stronger than the plans called for, but his modifications were not required or necessary. I am purchasing this Ray Clontz tire hammer plans by Clay Spencer today. I would recommend it to anyone who is wondering about it. It does take some basic mechanical and welding skills to complete, but over all it is a rather simple yet effective design.

Back