tire plugs??

was at the hardware store today and saw tire plug kits. the also have refills that are just the black, goopy, string-like things. they would fit nicely in a straw and was wondering about their use in firestarting. they are 'highly flammable' as stated on the package and contain heptane. this is where my question is. anyone know what heptane is and is it hazardous. the package has a warning about inhalation, but i imagine that inhaling petro soaked cotton isn't that great for you either. again, just a quick brainstorm, and looking for more info??

I can't comment on the heptane, but the fact that the plugs are sticky they will burn very well once lit

Having worked as a tire tech you piqued my curiosity so I did a search on heptane. Here is a partial excerpt from Wikipedia.com--"The straight-chain isomer n-heptane is the zero point of the octane rating scale. It is undesirable in petrol, as it burns explosively, causing engine knocking, as opposed to branched-chain octane isomers, which burn more slowly and give better performance. Its choice for the zero point of the scale was due to the availability of very high purity n-heptane, unmixed with other isomers of heptane or other alkanes."
If it burns explosively on the tire plug you might want to test one out by throwing it in a fire and see what happens. You might be on to something here

I wonder if burning explosively is anything like exploding combustively ! L:O:L

Heck I even have a couple of those out on the range . If I happen to go out that way I can try one when its frozen . I wonder if a frozen one would heat cooly ! L:M:A:O

if i get a chance i may try lighting on from a distance, say, with a match on a broomstick end. then if it seems safe, maybe a firesteel to see if it'll ignite from spark.

125987760.jpg
125986938.jpg
125986861.jpg
125988469.jpg
125988209.jpg
125988745.jpg
125985609.jpg
125986422.jpg
1. Equipment for Test Ferro rod,hobo stove,cotton pad's, vaseline,sisal fiber,bic lighter,tire patch strip's,TAK knife. temp's in the 20 degree with wind's at 15 mile's per hour.2. Sisal ready. 3. fiber with one strike of FR burn's rapidly. 4.Strip ready.5.many strike's NO FIRE! 6.Direct Flame from Bic, nada ! 7.cotton pad with vaseline strip just melted. The rest are treated and untreated cotton pad's both with one strike of ferro rod. The treated burn longer.

Can't really comment on anything else here, but heptane is a simple hydrocarbon, like for example propane, but the carbon chain is longer (seven carbons vs propane's three). So it should not be toxic or particularly hazardous.

Back