1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Titanium alloy plate axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Mecha, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello all,

Here is an axe prototype/tester, cut and forged from titanium alloy plate. The cutting edge is heat-treated. The handle is elliptical, and tapers from thin to thick as it approaches the axe head. The entire circumference is filed into a bevel (except under the handle).

OAL is 30.5" with an 8" cutting edge, and a weight of 2 lbs 3 oz, balanced right at the top of the handle. The handle is rubber, nylon, and leather.

This axe worked great, so I will make a finalized version. Probably a little bit thicker and longer.

Thanks for looking!

Before testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During testing:

After testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worked great, stayed sharp!

GeofS, FortyTwoBlades, CoryMc and 7 others like this.
  2. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Pretty Cool it looks light the way your swinging that beast around. It seems to be very sharp also. The Mad Slasher strikes again! :D I like it and weather resistant also, what's not to like. :thumbsup:

Mecha likes this.
  3. protourist

protourist Gluaiseann an ba'd, ni' ghluaiseann an cuan Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    That is seriously cool.
    I want one. I will say that I would be missing some limbs if I tried your testing method though.

ithinkverydeeply and Mecha like this.
  4. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Does not look like an axe to me. Also, you need to work on your axe skills as far as safety and woods etiquette.

A17, Mecha and Square_peg like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't see what portion of it is 'forged'. It simply looks cut and ground to me. What am I missing?

At any rate it makes for a good brush axe. Like any axe that thin it gets stuck easily in larger wood.

When I split that red alder I set it on the block and simply show it that I have an axe. Then it falls in two on its own. ;)

The choreography was interesting.

6. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Busted. I'm not much of an axe man, more of a machete type.

Not sure what else to call it than a bearded axe.

7. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

Ha! Yes the alder splits nicely. This thing would not be the best tool for use on the heavy stuff, but it sure is fast and easy on the lighter targets. Sort of a thick axe-shaped machete that can split wood. The finalized version will be a bit thicker than this very thin one.

The plate was rough cut and cleaned up, then the entire handle shaft was forged into an elliptical shape which makes the handle more stiff. The curves of the handle shaft were adjusted through forging also, and tapers to be thinner toward the handle. The entire axe cutting face was forged, flaring it out and beveling both sides. Forging refines grain size in titanium alloys and increases toughness. The forged parts were ground after forging, following the planes. Then the cutting edge was heat-treated.

Forging the shaft on this was a one-time deal to get the prototype to the right shape, and on the finished ones only the cutting edge will be forged.

One thing about this axe, it would really be a good one to bring into a Mad Max style death dome.

It always looks scarier on camera. :D

8. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    as far as stiffening the handle goes - I can see why you would want it stiff - to avoid it bending side to side - since the whole thing is one piece and its pretty thin and pretty long - seems like there would be a tendency to bend or warp to one side or the other or both, I know if you had a similarly shaped piece of steel that thing would look like an S after not a lot of rough treatment. I don't know anything at all about titanium though.

I think the guy did a great job. whether I personally am into that style of chopper, or whether he technically forged anything. He did make something that chops the heck out of some stuff (for better or worse) and is better than I could make from scratch.

10. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Pretty good video.Like the beat and your hat.Glad you didn’t loose any toes.Looks like a good brushwacker and if you find one of them death domes post up the address I would like to see how it treats ya.

Moonw and Mecha like this.
  11. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Yes the handle is very thin, and the extra dimension helps keep it from being too boingy. And thanks! :]

12. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013

I've been forging titanium alloy blades for over 6 years. The techniques are different than with steel. Yes it's hard to do. I broke a hammer face apart once while forging titanium alloy. It has also damaged or concaved trip hammer dies more than once. My anvil is chrome-moly but there is no "reaction" to carbon steel.

The handle was forged: distally tapered, forged into an elliptical cross-sectional shape, and the curves were adjusted a bit through forging by hand with a hammer and anvil. The cutting face was also forged: drawn out wider and beveled. The grinds follow the forged planes.

13. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    That is a funny video. Keep providing your service.

Mecha likes this.
  14. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Love the music and the axe is cool as well for what it is. You remind me of the "Scumbag Steve" meme with that hat :D but as an (early) 80s kid loved the whole vibe of the video.

You'd also make a better ninja than me, glad to see you didn't lose anything valuable while making the video :D.

Square_peg likes this.
  15. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks. It's definitely not supposed to be a serious video, just for fun and also to give an impression of what the axe thing is like to use.

HAHA! Yep, that's the American Gladiators theme, ca. 1989-1991. That hat is my old welding hat! It's "clean" and has been washed, believe it or not.

FortyTwoBlades and Moonw like this.
  16. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Another thing, is that the axe thing has had a bevel filed all the way around the edges. In the photos it looks like flat, square plate stock, but that is only one of the planes - it's sort of an optical illusion. The beveled circumference didn't show well in a photo.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  17. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    An interesting piece that seems to use the properties of titanium to make an axe-shaped tool that handles more like a heavy cutting sword while having a thicker cross section than you could normally get for that size/balance/weight. Looks kind of dadao-like.

J.Davey, Square_peg and Mecha like this.
  18. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Hey, somebody had to do it. You know, that's one of the reasons for the long beard, just to give it more edge since it ultimately IS more like an axe-shaped heavy cutting machete sword thing / bladed speed-basher futuristic neoViking weapon.

19. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Whatever you technically call it, it's cool as all get out:D Well done, as always.

Loved the Gladiators music. They had a traveling show in their prime, and it was coming to town. I was in 5th grade and so wanted to go. My dad was going to take me, but he worked late and broke his promise.

My dad and I now work together (often late). I still rib him about never getting Laser's autograph:D Now if my daughter wants to go to Disney on Ice, I drop what I'm doing and we go. I don't need that guilt hanging over my head 30 years later:D

20. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    That's awesome and you are a madman. :eek:

Mecha likes this.