Titanium Pivots?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this? I have seen and used titanium for liner locks, backbars, handle scales and leaf springs in automatics, so why not a pivot? It should hold up to wear and also be lighter than atainless ones, not that they add much weight to the knife.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Chuck,

My thoughts.....
Titainium is extremely difficult to lubricate for smooth bearing applications. This really helps out when used for a locking liner because it "sticks" better that other materials...but for bearings where you want smoothness...forget about it. IMHO the best choice is hardened/ground tool steel 56-60Rc Hard.

Rob

I think the ideal steel would be 440C because of it's stainless qualities and also because it can be heat treated. I'm not sure what the available SS step pivots are made of, but I suspect they are not 440C. It would be worth an email to Jim Poplin to find out since I think most of the supply house pivots come from him.

Thanks Guys. I have discovered that most of the pvots are 416ss. This is not good because I don't think that you cna harden them. I have found a company selling hardned pivots but they are $3.95 each! Ouch! I am planning on visiting a locak knifemaker at the end of the week so i'll be using his lathe and turning some out of O-1. I've been told that the action of the knife will dramatically improve in smoothness if I use a hardned pivot, that's the way Bill McHenry does it.
Chuck

I'm using 1/4" sealed bearings O/D 1/4" I/D 1/8" x .112
in one I use everyday
I've been using it for the past 4 + months no problems yet.
if I do have a problem its easy and fast to change.

chuck you going to the NCCA Mass show on the 11Th?
if so, see you there. necka meeting after the show in the bar.:D

Hi Dan,
I'll be there, i'll bring along a couple of new knives for you guys to check out. I know a few makers use the closed ball bearing pivot system but sometimes it is actually too smooth! It can be dangerous, I didn't like the one that I had played with.
Chuck

Back