Titanium Screws do not fit well - Manix 2

Hi guys,

I'm new to spyderco. I have a Manix 2 and I started making modifications on it. So far I haven't had too many problems changing the scales, the cage and the ball (even though it was more difficult than I initially thought).

That being said, I ordered some titanium screws from flytanium and they do not fit in!!! Or rather they fit in but it seems that they require way more torque than the original to go fully flush with the liner. I'm actually uncomfortable applying that much torque since I am afraid to damage the threads.

Am I the only one who experienced that? At the moment I reverted to my basic stainless steel screws because I found that they go inside way smoother and better.

Looking forward to hear your input.

Dont torque them in too hard and use blue loktite. Put it together, and don't touch for 24h.

Never used Flytanium screws. Spyderco sunk screws have a weird angle of 100 degrees, most other screws have only 80. Might want to check if the screw heads look the same.

Clean the threads for residual locktite.
I use a needle with the tip bent at 90deg
to scrap as much off.

If it persists
Contact Flytanium.

I used Brake Cleaner to remove as much locktite as possible but the needle is a good idea. thanks for your input.

Dont torque them in too hard and use blue loktite. Put it together, and don't touch for 24h.

Never used Flytanium screws. Spyderco sunk screws have a weird angle of 100 degrees, most other screws have only 80. Might want to check if the screw heads look the same.

Thanks! I'll look that up.

Everyone seems to use blue loctite. Is that really necessary? Will the screws just wiggle out at some point if I don't use loctite?

I have had an issue with aftermarket screws on certain knives, with certain scales. My issue was the pitch of the screw head didn't match the scales, which left them proud. Might be worth comparing. The fellas above know what they are talking about (good advice).

Unfortunately, with the mod game, some trial and error is inevitable.

I have had an issue with aftermarket screws on certain knives, with certain scales. My issue was the pitch of the screw head didn't match the scales, which left them proud. Might be worth comparing. The fellas above know what they are talking about (good advice).

Unfortunately, with the mod game, some trial and error is inevitable.

That is what I am starting to realize. I spent money on mods that didn't end up working very well but I think that it is part of the game and the learning curve. It's frustrating at times but it's life!

Back