Titanium screws?

While I love my Sebbie dearly, a thought just hit me. Would it be possible for CRK to use titanium screws on the Sebenza? I realized how cool it would look if the screws were bead blasted to match the handle slabs. Is titanium not strong enough or is cost the factor? Any thoughts on this?

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

Why not anodized, for plain or decorated Sebenzas????

Michael

If I recall correctly, Tom Mayo once told me that Ti screws cost something like $6 each. The SS screws cost next to nothing. Using Ti. screws would increase the cost of the knife by at least $18. Plus you'd not only want a Ti screw, but also a Ti piece for the screw to mate with, probably another $6 ea. THis would bring the cost up about $36 total. Maybe it's just not practical.

Although, I could be wrong on those Ti hardware prices (I'm just going by memory) so CRK or someone who knows better about Ti hardware can correct me.

~Mitch

Guys, I don't know where you got your Sebenzas, but all 4 of mine have Ti screws. As far as I know they have always had and still do have Ti screws. Even the new shiny ones are polished Ti I believe. The Chris Reeve Knives website is a bit confusing on this since it says "Pins: 303 stainless steel". But I think the screws are T. That's why you don't have to use LocTite to keep the screws tight. The galling of the Ti keeps everything snug. The only thing steel on your Sebenza should be the blade, stop sleeve, and the bushing the blade rides on. I believe the stop sleeve may even be Ti on the Umfaan. So there you go, you got your wish!
Paul

I believe the screws are stainless or should be. Ti screws would cause major problems and would require special care, because Ti on Ti will cause the two pieces to eventually "weld" together due to natural reactions. You will need to lubricate the Ti screws to prevent this and I don't think that you want to lubricate the screws on any knife.

jj

Paul, I'm pretty certain the screws and pins are SS, galling between handle of Ti and the SS is what keeps them tight.
JeffJ is right about the galling between the screw and the pin. (the pin is what CRK calls the nutplates)

To set the record straight, all of the pins and screws are made of stainless steel. Titanium would be too costly, not to mention the gauling aspect.
Thanks,
Mark

Back