To anyone building a homemade belt grinder

I'm in the process of putting together a home made 2x72 belt grinder, and I have been looking for a good motor to power it. I went to sears today and found a professional bench grinder, 8in, 1hp, variable speed 1750rpm-3450rpm. I couldn't believe it and only $119 and it comes with a coarse wheel, wire wheel and a light. This should be perfect, Look out burr king!!!:cool:

do you think that you could post some pictures of your grinder? I am too poor to buy a burr king and I would love to have a grinder. maybe I can learn to make my own too.
thanks

Let us know how it works out. Sometimes Sears has an interesting interpretation of the term "Horsepower". :confused:

Rob!

The grinder isn't finished yet I will try to post some pic's when i'm done. Search this fourm and the archives for homemade belt grinder, lots of info & pic's , also many good links. that is were I got my info to start with..

So are you using the sears grinder as your motor? What are you using for the contact wheel and idler wheel. Asking because I have a homemade grinder and always looking for other idea's and parts to improve on mine.

check out northern tools web site and punch in item # 143392. Nice little belt grinder/bench grinder looks good enough to start with. Only $50..

I most strongly recommend using HF's buffer/grinder combo
as foundation for any HMG. It has the HP (3/4, I have no
difficulty hogging 1.5"x2" sections when flat grinding) AND
you will have another shaft available to be used as buffer.

Alternatively, you can use 2 HP grinder from HF - but you'd
need to extend one of the shaft's ends so it will useful as
buffer.

Both are $109, but go on sale ENAT for $79

Atlas Knife Company

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yes, I agree that Sears has an interesting definition of Horse Power! My neighbor just bought a 4x36 from there and it is rated at 1HP. However, it draws only 3 amps. Basic physics tells me you can't get 1HP from only 360 watts. He works for Sears as a repairman so I didn't want to push it. I'm using my PerforMax from Menards and it is working very nicely, except the wheel I am using isn't exactly centered.

I built my own grinder and used a Delta variable speed bench grinder for the motor. It's worked flawless for several months. Love it!