To Balisong or...eh...not to?

The last time I dickered with a 'butterfly knife' was highschool. It was fun, of course.

I currently find myself looking for a folder for EDC use (I've been fixed blade exclusive for years, now)

I'll admit, I like things that are 'unique' and different. I've also noticed that in order to getin into a quality balisong, you're going to pay around 200.00 plus.

I suppose I'm just picking the community brain. Pros and cons, advice, reccomendations.

Thanks for your time.

Benchmade Morpho. It's like the Air Jordans of Balis.

Course, I highly reccommend going someplace where they sell them and putting your hands on them. These places seem rare, but when I lived in Jacksonville they had all the 200-300 (and beyond) brand balis, including Benchmade, microtech, etc.

I'll admit though, I ordered the Morpho 51 after extensive research and reading positive review after positive review without ever touching one. and I do NOT regret it.

I played with some microtechs and they were obviously quality, but just didn't have the sexy feel of the benchmade. personal preference though.

My FIRST bali was a 30 dollar Bear & Sons. like twice as heavy, but hell, I still play with it.

Because Balisongs are illegal in way to many places to EDC legally and many people don't actually know the laws for them and assume they are just illegal, I would not EDC one. BUT this doesn't mean you shouldn't but one! They are a load of fun, just make sure you practice on a trainer :thumbsup: I'm acually searching for a good budget trainer now :)

Benchmade Morpho. It's like the Air Jordans of Balis.

Course, I highly reccommend going someplace where they sell them and putting your hands on them. These places seem rare, but when I lived in Jacksonville they had all the 200-300 (and beyond) brand balis, including Benchmade, microtech, etc.

I'll admit though, I ordered the Morpho 51 after extensive research and reading positive review after positive review without ever touching one. and I do NOT regret it.

I played with some microtechs and they were obviously quality, but just didn't have the sexy feel of the benchmade. personal preference though.

My FIRST bali was a 30 dollar Bear & Sons. like twice as heavy, but hell, I still play with it.
I'm torn between the 51 Morpho and the BRS barebones. That zombie green Morpho speaks to me though, for some reason...

Because I get super-into my hobbies, if I get a bali, i'll want to flip it...

I'm also eyeballing all Flytanium parts (They even offer a blade!) and assembling my own 51. Don't know if this is feasible, however.

I bought a Bali-yo pen, and then bought a small Bear and Son butterfly. I would never edc a Bali-song, but I think a BM is in my future. Almost thirty years ago, a Benchmade Bali was my edc when was working in the Horn of Africa. I cut up more watermelon and other fruit with that knife than I could count.

I love balis (though I suck horrendously at flipping, other than the basic opening/closing :mad::D), but they are legal to carry here in AZ, so I carry one for "edc" purposes from time to time. Usually either a Benchmade 32 or 51, as they come with pocket clips. I'd like to get a BRS Replicant, as they can also be outfitted with a clip, but they've been out of stock for forever everywhere. No idea when the next run will come out. And yes, you want to spend in the $200+ range (now that Bradley is out of the game). I highly recommend the BM 32, 51, and 60 series (I have the 62). :thumbsup:

bmb.jpg

Last edited:
The benefits of a fixed blade with the benefits of a folder. It makes great sense. But it's illegal in many places. If it isn't illegal where you intend to use it, take advantage. When you learn the techniques you'll get great pleasure out of your bali

i sure like 'em, and i can legally carry and use them, and i do sometimes..... which is a huge advantage to many....but the price points keep me to limiting what i own. sure miss those kimuras.......

I like my Morphos, especially my 32 with Flytanium scales. Due to the "scary" factor and legalities I don't carry it as much as I'd like to though.

NNUwMG0iRxF244T1XFfy8mklf83BlbG-mD_97_WYF-NoZs3cfnqAYRN6quSicZss-cArABFCRAxWcpkvXtyC_s-8VaRWWUntecZvy4jNpaMgt6QbzzAY0FBSCi9Gj1D-WLUycwM8IVm1SBzjV1vJ671l3Dq7a0CWVaxHuZ8YyTbFDvDZwv5PJPoDdKb1RY-HpiQRhagUT2iEF_rEZ-Z-X-A1YBDzCBS52lnTp3v1B1utV8NCMBpb0kDmNzIRndAzrL3A-NTSXbn5U6X9QuWW80vbjdWx3rLltp8h_FumToINMU_e_mTA7ghAhxXP9b2ULhdb61CJCJK8Yy8HpxnbNMRNecNPGMlHo8j7DUkmMq3MfnKOo5gEmjnaSF91FhCk7O33dxJWJCCWvX_11avBagnfgZ5I6E3tOngnzbm12Lh6bbv7OXKOU55eAmswF78HWM9K3rDODb1Vc2nEDj5q7lTohB9OCDqRZusc2L1v-qy6fZ5b3BXyajzxY9j5Nz-cXJmUZFLamrppTXmMUwC04TQfX-O0V6zhpvBJ761I7byvofxOk09T2kZgUMCoqrxUNcMgKeI5fKH1zI7eSPUh52oLo1FNjvDWFNo93pSwJSK6p4sZplp21vE6=w1024-h684-no

uD9pC46M0f0FGFpY14A81HGIDRakR-qig5xY7r_2-bSAnL2OIiTGIxp70nw21-ELJBx-oy2-VUwWCoCbiVjrILnS_eCuXujOv0OcHuTMQ1hD17G2FMwdBXlPVSHX_1z3pKPc42P0Q4swcBKptaDz-W8P-5xNIz6q93iAjOCCFvD0C2_EESTQYKlOaifX8DjTUtLhCKUUXuLdHS8hSLu9KwuXcTicCvbtuVvGWYZEHplGSCOba-5k-UZrrwrlWq7f_nA90kT2MovKOjhAoELil_Smyas9r6jKtUSjHysy2XqNKxda7dvPxSqd6D1Vu_czXgcIHVwUjUUUVGKvFTx0QQxoAeYPT5XLPewcGGoTm6UWyxcj774ud9CQPTa5w6BsWovCoTN9cIRAS0LwCYtsYThA6lnVb4vp-1YsXra01llXFXa_nqXBmLoFfxa7nJ2dBDiDkPhIhEBlgjeR0RZRphrCPgXhNm41uEVJyKp6pSU8Z4bpAB3oIjbKzBtr1llHr2deUMHbye7vMPxRv1Mn2BPFAakc_-EUzHqNssB9WgghFqFJjbgoIfdC9l4OKeXUBqGv5ZXDqmoOO3Mozsc6qCVWSb918_12qdaK0kA62QS4lMCePlQNTtiu=w1245-h840-no

Plenty of solid recommendations here. I have a 62, 63, 87, and had a flytanium 51. BRS has some very nice offerings as well. Just accept that you WILL get cut handling it eventually.

I'm torn between the 51 Morpho and the BRS barebones. That zombie green Morpho speaks to me though, for some reason...

Because I get super-into my hobbies, if I get a bali, i'll want to flip it...

I'm also eyeballing all Flytanium parts (They even offer a blade!) and assembling my own 51. Don't know if this is feasible, however.

....zombie green morpho calling to you.....ANSWER.

I mean, again, get your hands on both if you can, feel them out, but bali buying anxiety leads to high blood pressure so lucky for you, I'm here to advise you to just get the Morpho because it's totally rad.

And I don't really understand all these "Balisongs for EDC is BAD......mmmmkkayy??" Hell, I had about 15 knives before the morpho and after accidentally over tightening the pivot pins, I flipped it out without realizing the handle flipped but the blade did not and my finger went down on it and I literally could not stop the bleeding for 3 days unless it was compressed.

But the razor edge isn't the reason it can be a good EDC, for me, I EDC'd the hell out of it (still do) super low profile, deep pocket clip, and if you can whip it out fast enough and lock the latch, the thing is stupidly rock solid, ZERO give with the latch (how do they do that???)

So I dunno, imo, EDC away with it.

Carry my HK Patrol auto now, but also the morpho, but primarily for playing around with while driving and such.

I had a Morpho back when they first came out. I'm good at flipping, too. Great EDC. I was really young back then, like 19 or so. I didn't care that it was illegal in Ohio, but I eventually sold it after a few interactions with police that would have gotten me in trouble if they would have noticed it for any reason.

I think balis are an awesome option. They arguably have the strongest open position lock up of any folding knife. The only downside for me is just how limited the options are.

If you can find a Benchmade 53 (discontinued) it is a great edc Bali-song. Great blade for use and flipped great for me as I just like opening and closing it. No tricks for me. I sold it and kind of regret it. I currently have a 32 which is great as well.

I think I'm going to jump on a Morpho next paycheck. Balisongs are legal to carry here, and that pocket clip seems incredibly convenient. Great, a new addiction approaches... I've been doing a ton of research into the history of the balisong in general as well as its introduction to the U.S.

I came across one particularly interesting Jared West (Quartermaster) type story. Can't beleive I havent heard any stink of it on the forums, as he still operates a quartermaster-type operation. Just an aside.

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

That's all we need.......another direction for our addiction to run wild.......and that durn Photodude just HAD to post those pics, right????
He enables with pictures!!
Can you say heartless and shameless???
:D
Joe
photoman12001 photoman12001

I think I'm going to jump on a Morpho next paycheck. Balisongs are legal to carry here, and that pocket clip seems incredibly convenient. Great, a new addiction approaches... I've been doing a ton of research into the history of the balisong in general as well as its introduction to the U.S.

I came across one particularly interesting Jared West (Quartermaster) type story. Can't beleive I havent heard any stink of it on the forums, as he still operates a quartermaster-type operation. Just an aside.

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

I love balis (though I suck horrendously at flipping, other than the basic opening/closing :mad::D), but they are legal to carry here in AZ, so I carry one for "edc" purposes from time to time. Usually either a Benchmade 32 or 51, as they come with pocket clips. I'd like to get a BRS Replicant, as they can also be outfitted with a clip, but they've been out of stock for forever everywhere. No idea when the next run will come out. And yes, you want to spend in the $200+ range (now that Bradley is out of the game). I highly recommend the BM 32, 51, and 60 series (I have the 62). :thumbsup:

View attachment 741571
Same here. I own balis from Microtech, Benchmade, and Protech. I will use the 51 on occasion or the Tachyon 2. Each being over 4" blades they do catch attention, even though legal to own and carry.I do want to get a 62 at some point before they stop production.

Back