To carry or not to carry?

Last night I talked to CRK and paid for my direct order- small Sebenza 21 Lunar Landing, left hand, dual thumb lugs.
I bought this knife to be a really nice EDC for around the office, home, etc. (hunting, camping, yard work would go to the large PJ).
Out of curiosity, I asked how many were made in the configuration I purchased.
Kayla sent me the following note-

We only manufactured 6 left-handed Small Sebenza 21 CGG Lunar Landing total, including yours. Yours was the only direct customer order, and one of two to have double thumb lugs installed!
Thank you,
Kayla

Now I'm having second thoughts... Should I carry this or hold on to it?

Wow! I would probably order another one. Sounds like ya got something special.

For the tasks you described, I would carry and thoroughly enjoy it my man! That’s a special piece that I believe deserves its use as a letter opener, thread cutter, etc.

Totally a personal decision to carry or save. If you are a collector saving may make sense, but I wouldn't save it just for some sort of potential price increase.

Carry/use it. It comes with a pocket sheath that will help prevent any scratches from getting on it unnecessarily. Even though CRK is producing more left handed knives in the base models, the Unique's and CCG's are still rare. They just don't make that many of them because us lefty's don't make up that much demand in the knife world.
Why get all excited and giddy on such a gorgeous knife if you're not going to show it off and have a smile on your face each time you pull it out to use ?

If it was mine I'd try to bring myself to use and enjoy it, otherwise, what's the point of owning it? It may lose some value, but it will always be special and I'd bet there are plenty of lefties out there who'd pay a good price for something like that whether it's used of not (me, for example).

No one asks what a knife is worth 60 years down the road when it's on a table of a yard sale. These knives we horde and cradle like our Precious really aren't worth that much in the grand scheme of things when you step outside of our little community.

I say use it, enjoy it, and pass it down with scratches and stories to someone who wants to add their own. I may still end up in the bottom of a lake or pawned off for one more crack at the Blackjack tables, but I say enjoy the ride together as long as you can. A good CRK will see several times more owners than us. They are built to weather the adventures we miss out on while resting in box or jar. Add your marks and send it forth with a story etched in its blade.

Definitely carry it and use it. As said above, using the CRK pocket sheath will keep it safe from a lot of the dings that result from EDC use.

My personal experience: EDCing one of the most expensive knives I ever bought (one that I thought was going to be an ultimate, permanent safe queen) was very difficult to do at first, but once I got past the first week or so the reluctance was gone and it became my “new normal.” I remember the first mark I put on a Blue CF 1/20 limited edition Sebenza 21. I almost went into cardiac arrest but looking at that mark now makes me laugh at myself. I suspect a lot of us have stories like that one.

Take a look at the pix that Dcdavis Dcdavis posts here. He EDCs inlaid damascus CRKs all the time and I suspect his EDCs don’t live pampered lives of limited use.

I'm beginning to see the light... I bought it to carry (self justification) but when I saw it I thought WOW. I won't see to many out in the wild and it will be a good conversation starter.

No one asks what a knife is worth 60 years down the road when it's on a table of a yard sale. These knives we horde and cradle like our Precious really aren't worth that much in the grand scheme of things when you step outside of our little community.

I say use it, enjoy it, and pass it down with scratches and stories to someone who wants to add their own. I may still end up in the bottom of a lake or pawned off for one more crack at the Blackjack tables, but I say enjoy the ride together as long as you can. A good CRK will see several times more owners than us. They are built to weather the adventures we miss out on while resting in box or jar. Add your marks and send it forth with a story etched in its blade.
VERY well said, Steely. My thoughts exactly.

There’s been some very good responses here. I get the most enjoyment out of using mine. I work in the trades so my CRKs get to see all kinds of use, so Stumpy72 Stumpy72 is correct. I’ll hop right down in a ditch and have no problem using my knife. A good worn and weathered Damascus blade looks great to me, especially with micarta. I do have a couple wood/Damascus 21s that get carried but they only see light use, envelopes, boxes, packages etc, not necessarily out on job sites.
The first scratch always stings. Still does for me to this day. After that first scratch it’s a bit of a freeing moment tho. You can relax a bit (after you get over it) and really start to use and enjoy the knife.

My first new CRK got scratched while putting into my jeans pocket. Damn rivet! To this day it’s the only half length deep scratch but like someone else said I laugh quietly each time I pay attention to it

Enjoy it however you see fit.

Carrying and using one will bring you great joy for years to come. Every scuff on it that will eventually happen will be an adventure you were on with your Sebenza.

You can also choose to safe queen it and buy another. Many find just as much joy just handling one and admiring the work of art and never actually using it for its intended purpose.

The choice is yours....!

My first new CRK got scratched while putting into my jeans pocket. Damn rivet! To this day it’s the only half length deep scratch but like someone else said I laugh quietly each time I pay attention to it

All of my CRKs have so many scratches all over them that they look stonewashed. I say use it.

Life is short and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. You can’t carry them into the next life with you, so use them and enjoy them while you can.

Years ago I bought a limited edition pocket knife with decorative scales. I kept it safe in its box, removing it only occasionally, just to admire it. After a few years, I decided to give it to my favorite uncle as a birthday gift. After unwrapping it, he immediately removed it from the box, discarded the box with the wrapping paper, opened/closed it a few times, used it to open his remaining gifts, then it went straight into his pocket.

I don’t preserve things anymore l, but I understand those who do.

“There’s no wrong way to eat a Reese’s”

-Sean-

its a work knife, I only own two of the sebenza 21's and one of them is always on me, there's no way I'm going to stick these in a safe just to say I own one, but that's just me.

Back