to mod or not, APOC Wayward Camper

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by deltablade, Jan 8, 2021.

1. deltablade

deltablade Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    I just got this in hand, and really like the size and blade shape, grind, thickness. Yet I need your expert advice on the handle. The upswept pommel shape on the top of the rear of the handle feels uncomfortable, so I am considering rounding it off. Is there a reason or specific use for that type pommel shape?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 25, 2014
    The whole APOC line revolves around aesthetics as a driving force for their products, not utility. If the flare bugs you at all, grind it down, it's just something to make it look like a sword pommel.

cbach8tw and Evan Mattherson like this.
  3. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    Not an expert here, but I would assume that the "fishtail" shape of the butt of the handle is to either bias one's hand forward during use, or provide a more secure grip when pulling it from it's sheath, or both.

Or it could just be aesthetics.

Of course if you don't like it there's no law that says you can't change it.

4. deltablade

Jul 29, 2006
    I rounded the top side of the pommel, and it works and feels much bettewr to me this way. The original pommel dug into my hand, and would not be comfortable with extended use. Rounding it off makes the handle much more comfortable to use. With the thick spine and flat grind, log drop point blade shape, O really like this knife. Orta be great for camp, and would do find with some fish and deer chores.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Sergeua and killgar like this.
  5. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    Seeing it in your hand I can better see what you mean. It definitely looks like it would be more comfortable now.

Don't ya just love how a simple mod can make a knife so much more enjoyable to own and use :).

6. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Maybe the handle is too small for your hands?

7. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Spray the sanded area of G10 with WD40 to return the color to its original shade.

8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My Sykco WS 1020 had exactly the same issue with its reseprine handle. Hurt like hell. If I didn’t round it off, I’d have to send it back.

9. deltablade

Jul 29, 2006
    I dont think it is too small for my hand.
    with some grips the pommel isnt a problem, tho with others, it is much better rounded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]