To Strider or not to Strider

I was torn before I ordered my first Strider folder. For the cost of my SnG DGG I could have bought a descent pistol. When I first got the knife I was not at all happy with it. It wasn't the knife it was the price that bothered me. I decided to carry it for a couple of days before making a decision. It hasn't spent much time not being carried since. It is well worth the cost. Don't worry about using it either. Strider's warranty is top notch, they will fix it or replace it if you are able to damage it.

So many knives to consider. Thanks for all the input & keep it coming. I am just used to getting production blades at cost. Even CRK I can get at dealer pricing but not Striders.

Jump, there is NO folding knife like a SNG! Not from Custom to production ;)

DGG SNGs and CC SNGs are where its at... Super light, really thin... Super tough! What more could you need in a EDC folder?

When someone says, 'sharpened slab of steel' I think of Strider, not that there aren't other knives that fit that description also.

For their fixed blades I might say that but their folders are a different animal. So many small touches that add up to a very well thought out knife. Definitely not a mere slap 'O' sharpened steel.

Last edited:
Striders are horribly overpriced for what they are, and I have yet to hold one that feels good in my hand. You're better off with any number of less expensive knies, but if ya just gotta have one, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I am a Strider Cult member, I say Get an SMF. But If you don't have the Funds. Just as good,(Subjective) IS the Blackwater Lum Folder. Ti Framelock 4' blade 5' closed for only $150!!! It's will probably be more valueble as time goes on. Only 250 where made. Many we sites have them and vey greatly in Price. If you get a Strider you won't be disapointed either. If you are they retain their resale and trade value even when well used. Mili Is a great knife too, But if you want something special, not the everyday can get anytime type go for a SMF. Or 2-3 of these Lums.
http://www.savsonswordsandknives.com/blboblumlied.html

Originally Posted by mhawg View Post
When someone says, 'sharpened slab of steel' I think of Strider, not that there aren't other knives that fit that description also.

For their fixed blades I might say that but their folders are a different animal. So many small touches that add up to a very well thought out knife. Definitely not a mere slap 'O' sharpened steel.

Thats very true. I'd also add that it's hard to Beat the Awesome Cutting ability of a Full Flat ground Strider Folder. And Some of the New FBs designs, especially the Spear point or Drop Point with GG grips or G-10 DO NOT fall into the sharpened pry bar catagory.And are Extremely sharp AND tough. And Like it or not The Re-sale/Trade Value is always Great. Similar to a Seb or any Custom.

Also, Ti is Getting Very expensive, Incase you guys didn't know Emerson is no longer making HD7s or 12s and BM isn't making Skirmishes anymore, Yet the Price for SNG/SMF has remained the same for years.
Thats another good reason to choose maybe the Blackwater Lum Ti Frame lock if you don't go SMF. It's the same length, Ti slabs and Limited. I's actually an investment if you ask me. Very Nice Knife all around too, Keep one NIB and EDC the other for less then a Strider.

Last edited:
Striders are horribly overpriced for what they are, and I have yet to hold one that feels good in my hand. You're better off with any number of less expensive knies, but if ya just gotta have one, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I have had Many Striders and Loved them all. I wouldn't call anything Ovepriced. It's Like a Nice car Or a Pimped out AR15. You can get around in a beat up honda with great MPGs, and still shoot 223. with a $500 mini-14 insted of a 2500 pimped AR. If the Strider Knives where Complete Junk Then I'd say they where over Priced. Strider folders are the only knives that I actually still Get Hyped and excited about when I know one is on the way. An it Still feels the same as when I got my First SMF Tanto. I feel almost the Same about Emersons and people always say they are over priced, But It's Subjective. If it was complete junk, yes then it would be over priced, But state of the art materials( And A Lot of material in 1 SMF,LOL) Is hardly Junk, and a Warranty that Follows the knife,NOT the first Buyer is Unbelievable!!!No Warranty beats Striders. And I challenge anyone to contradict that statement. You Beat the complete crap out of it, sell it or trade it almost for what you paid, and the next owner can send it in no questions asked. Same with you, You can Break it because you are mad that day and still get it fixed. No Crap warranty like BMs take it apart and void the warranty.

I am a Strider Cult member, I say Get an SMF. But If you don't have the Funds. Just as good,(Subjective) IS the Blackwater Lum Folder. Ti Framelock 4' blade 5' closed for only $150!!! It's will probably be more valueble as time goes on. Only 250 where made. Many we sites have them and vey greatly in Price. If you get a Strider you won't be disapointed either. If you are they retain their resale and trade value even when well used. Mili Is a great knife too, But if you want something special, not the everyday can get anytime type go for a SMF. Or 2-3 of these Lums.
http://www.savsonswordsandknives.com/blboblumlied.html

I have 2 of those Blackwater Lums I got for $100 each.

I have 2 of those Blackwater Lums I got for $100 each.

Nice!!! aren't they!!?? They say on almost every site that only 250 where made. I don't know if it's true, But if it is it will be worth a heck of a lot more in a year or 2. What Other all ti slabs and Ti frame lock with High quality steel, and a great design by one of the best makers ever can be bought for that cheap? If it was 250-300 I'd still say it was great, especially if only 250 where made. If not, then it's a $150(Give or take, Still a great deal) Big nice Lum Designed Ti Frame lock folder still. Great deal for the materials and Quality and Size. The OP is a BIG Guy and this is a Big Nice folder.

I have had Many Striders and Loved them all. I wouldn't call anything Ovepriced. It's Like a Nice car Or a Pimped out AR15.

No, they're like an okay car (honda) with a nice car (mercedes) price tag. Or like a mini-14 with the price tag of a pimped-out AR15.

Not saying they're junk, but they are most definitely overpriced. Unless they come up with some more ergonomic and less-expensive designs I'm not interested.

No, they're like an okay car (honda) with a nice car (mercedes) price tag. Or like a mini-14 with the price tag of a pimped-out AR15.

Not saying they're junk, but they are most definitely overpriced. Unless they come up with some more ergonomic and less-expensive designs I'm not interested.

Thats why I said it's SUBJECTIVE. So they aren't for you, but they are for many many people. Just Like Sebenzas Value is SUBJECTIVE. Like it or not, Thats what they cost, I think they are worth it and then Some. And FACT is that they retain their Value Used or not, the same as any SEB or Custom. They have many designs. CC SNG for example. I don't know what your particular subjective defination of "Ergonomic" is, Maybe fits your hand like a glove? or something less Box like? But Everyone has different hands. For me, the double choils are a comfortable as can be, and Knife retention in my hand is extrememly important. For me they are perfect.
People Will call SEBS Over priced when you can get a Skirmish or Bradly with the same exact materials for 1/3, but people Love sebs and People Love Strider. And the Fact is, It's Not like if he got either one it would be"Overpriced" If he Loved it like a lot of people do, or they would be out of buisness. And the FACT that they keep Their Re-sale/Trade value even when used you can't go wrong. I see trade post with people offering 4-6 production knives,Spydies,BMs, Emersons, ect, Just for 1 Strider or Seb. So how Can it be over priced if thats the Facts????? You don't like them but atleast half of the people would trade off 3-5 of their Spidies or BMs ect for 1 Strider folder or Seb.
So the aren't for you. They aren't for a lot of people. But Many LOVE them. and since they retain their value even when used, How could you go wrong?

Stolas223 email sent :cool:

Ergos? For me the SNG is perfect in ergos.... Second only to a IMHO to a XM

Yeah, what He said, DUDE Your BIG, Get an SMF!!!!

SMFT.jpg

smftanto3.jpg

quarter2.jpg

72826430_tPV7TL87_IBSO2.gif

While I may think that the Strider folders are a weeee...and I mean wee bit overpriced. The only thing on the market that has everything the Strider has in the way of refinements is a Hinderer XM-18. And try to get one of those. And yes I have a ZT301. Its good but not the same.

Really. When I bought my first and picked it up I though.."Big whoop". But as I carrried it and used it and just plain fiddled with it, I started to see what all the hype was about. Its subtle, but in todays knife market where competition is stiff to say the least, its all about subtleties.

While I may think that the Strider folders are a weeee...and I mean wee bit overpriced. The only thing on the market that has everything the Strider has in the way of refinements is a Hinderer XM-18. And try to get one of those. And yes I have a ZT301. Its good but not the same.

Really. When I bought my first and picked it up I though.."Big whoop". But as I carrried it and used it and just plain fiddled with it, I started to see what all the hype was about. Its subtle, but in todays knife market where competition is stiff to say the least, its all about subtleties.

DGGs and CCs are half as thick as a XM and weigh about half as much also.

I have a couple XMs and a few SNGs... and I carry the DGG SNG the most...

Sold the RC, and SMF just to big for EDC IMHO.

Just say'in :cool:

Last edited:
Thats why I said it's SUBJECTIVE. So they aren't for you, but they are for many many people. Just Like Sebenzas Value is SUBJECTIVE. Like it or not, Thats what they cost, I think they are worth it and then Some. And FACT is that they retain their Value Used or not, the same as any SEB or Custom. They have many designs. CC SNG for example. I don't know what your particular subjective defination of "Ergonomic" is, Maybe fits your hand like a glove? or something less Box like? But Everyone has different hands. For me, the double choils are a comfortable as can be, and Knife retention in my hand is extrememly important. For me they are perfect.
People Will call SEBS Over priced when you can get a Skirmish or Bradly with the same exact materials for 1/3, but people Love sebs and People Love Strider. And the Fact is, It's Not like if he got either one it would be"Overpriced" If he Loved it like a lot of people do, or they would be out of buisness. And the FACT that they keep Their Re-sale/Trade value even when used you can't go wrong. I see trade post with people offering 4-6 production knives,Spydies,BMs, Emersons, ect, Just for 1 Strider or Seb. So how Can it be over priced if thats the Facts????? You don't like them but atleast half of the people would trade off 3-5 of their Spidies or BMs ect for 1 Strider folder or Seb.
So the aren't for you. They aren't for a lot of people. But Many LOVE them. and since they retain their value even when used, How could you go wrong?

Can't argue with that.

A lot of people see SnG's and SMF's like they do their Buck cousins. It doesn't follow for a lot of reasons - Ti is hard on machine tools, and not cheap as a material. It just costs more to make any Ti framelock.

The S30V blade - same, hard to shape, grind, and finish. These blades are laser cut from a single sheet, not stamped from a coil, or cast in a mold. That forces the grinding of the full flat, which is the most expensive way to shape a blade. Sabre cuts and elaborate grinds always leave a thicker blade with less ability - sharpened pry bars. Not the SnG/SMF - they cut, and they have all the thickness you can get without resorting to a weaker hollow grind.

Ergos on the grip are all about duty use, not weekend warrior EDC. Strider grips are better with gloves, because that is what they are optimized for. Barehanded EDC's that are popular over the years all share a smooth grip. The G10, shape, and stiff lockup work together to reinforce confidence when used under stress. The exaggerated features give much better control than the smaller, dainty barehand studs and slick grips of a popular knife.

Style? Lots of stuff markets to the wannabe commando - but they don't have government contracts, either. Strider supplies to soldiers - not Walmart, or the PX. You have some of the same requirements for any soldier use item - subdued finish, color, and what appears to be inexpensive finish. Two years down the road, you find the Ti still hasn't worn its finish, the bead blast still preventing reflection, and that finish was integral with the material - not a coating of paint, teflon, or other junk that wore off leaving a shiny mill finish surface.

Strider's don't look like they are worth it because bling isn't their thing. The quality is still there years down the road when lesser knives start looking like chew toys.

Back