Today is a day!! (Sobriety)

Well done. Quitting was the hard part for me. In fact, I couldn't quit. It took me a month-long stay in the hospital for near-death acute liver and kidney failure (peaked at 11.4 creatinine level) due to drinking to get me sober, but it's been 6+ years now. I do miss the taste of certain beers and a good margarita, but I definitely do not miss feeling like shit, and the money saved allows me to spend it on more permanent things like knives/toys/gadgets rather than literally pissing (or puking) it away. And then there's the additional years you'll get to spend with the people in your life.
Glad you made it through and are still here.

And the time with people you care about is all that really matters in our short spin on this beautiful planet.

F’N A man keep it up it only gets better. I didn’t believe it until I’ve lived it for the last two years.
I can't help but agree. After the first couple of weeks most of the want kind of evaporated, but there's still days that either because it's hot, or I'm stressed I think I could use a beer. I just pound a cup of coffee or a red bull* and the drive goes away. I'm back down to 225 after nearing the 270 mark, and I've gotten off the blood pressure meds. It's pretty nice. 😁

*I know those aren't any good either, but I'm not super human, I can only tackle one crippling vice at a time...

Remember that, one thing at a time, i remember the first treatment facility i went to when they were doing their intake on me (circa 2016) along with quitting the alcohol they asked me if I wanted to quit smoking and come off the klonopin I’d been on for years. My reply was lets work on the alcohol we can get around to the rest in a bit..

Congrats to all the quitters!
And keep up the good fight!
Just passed the 25 year mark myself. Also just passed the point where sober years are longer than booze years. Yay me :)

It may never go completely away but it DOES get easier.

Good on ya! Life is too short for all this madness we cause ourselves. Ive been through it too.

Those first couple years are a struggle most days, but it gets better. Life gets better. It can be done!

Over 8 years now clean and sober. I never expected to reach 30 and I'll be 40 next year.

Keep on keeping on!

Congrats Brother!

This was my 1 year mark. View attachment 2344055

Love it, last week when I hit my 2 year mark I got a busse I really wanted so that’s always something to keep you on your toes, I just try to remember what life was like during it and then how much better it’s been after, I’m not one to preach about this or that. Do what works for you!

Love it, last week when I hit my 2 year mark I got a busse I really wanted so that’s always something to keep you on your toes, I just try to remember what life was like during it and then how much better it’s been after, I’m not one to preach about this or that. Do what works for you!
Amen!
Like you I try to never stop remembering. I actually get a bit of a smile every morning when I pour my first cup of coffee and I don’t top it off with Jim Beam.

Be Well Brother,
Clay

Congrats! Y'all can do it. My uncle has been a drinker, but after his wife shot herself in February, he started to drown himself. He's finally turned the corner, and he is a better person for it.

I haven't had a drink since May 2016. I had never been a "regular" drinker or anything, but as my marriage got worse I started drinking more. When I found out my great aunt, the patron of my family died suddenly, I chugged a 1/3 bottle of very strong tequila I bought in Mexico. That much in about 15 seconds and I pretty much blacked out.

When I came to, I told myself two things. "I'm never drinking again and I'm getting a divorce."

I was divorced 2 months later, and was diagnosed with liver failure (not related to drinking) a month after the divorce.

I had a liver transplant in 2018, and don't ever plan on drinking again.

I've grown up around smokers and alcoholism my whole life. Told myself at a young age I would never be like that. It wasn't until my mid 30's and a short but terrible marriage did I start to understand why many of the people in my family were severe alcoholics.

My brother in law stopped drinking in 2019. He was drinking when no one was around, but it was craft beer and with 3 kids (now 4) he was putting them in to debt. When $600 in beer lasts you less than two weeks, you have a problem.

So he and I are brothers in sobriety, though he occasionally drinks the craft non-alcoholic beers.

Ever notice how other people would take advantage of you when you were drunk?

Only having a conversation about important things....when you were a sloppy drunk?

And if they wanted something. They'd bring alcohol for a gift, or as what your drunk alcoholic brain thought was a gift. It wasn't a gift. It was never a gift.

Then practically recording every drunk word you uttered. Like a court reporter.

I didn't notice then but I damn sure do now.
Divorced are ya ?

Last edited:
Back