tomahawk came the other day ! :(

After reading all the comments about the tomahawk training that some of the folks here went to. I just had to get one, well it came, what can I say except the quality is excellent, the finish was very good and the price was great compared to knife prices these days. The only thing that I'm not too thrilled about is the wood handle was rather slippery in my hands, after awhile "I sweat" Anyone experience this problem? But anyhow, I realized that this could be a pretty scary weapon in the right hands, and might be a superior weapon than any big knife. Any thoughts about this? Oh the thing that I'm kinda of tic off in is that I can't seem to find any books or videos or a website on ways to use this tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was it one of our Hawks? If so, I would not totally disagree with you on how a wood handle can feel slippery when wet.

Our Next Generation Handles are knurled and hatched to get away from that kind of experience.

If you like, just file a few grooves in the butt where your hand goes and problem solved! :)

Also, if you want to, cord wrap the handle with a leather thong or 550 para-cord. make gripping it more comfy.;)

I dunno too much about Andy's hawks, but most wood handled tools I've bought come with some kinda handle polish or coating.. try knocking it down with some 220 or 320 grit sandpaper first. Otherwise I'd go with Andy's suggestion.

Yes Andy, it was from American Tomahawk Company, I got the regular ranger . I plan to get the new updated ranger next year the all black one. I'm trying to figure out a way of making it less slip prone, and still keep its good looks. I think that putting a leather case on the handle would ruin its good looks. Para cord is out of the question in my book in real life situation, I suspect that after long usage without a glove such as chopping or what not your hands would swell up. I'm thinking of putting checks on it like on my 1911 I wonder if that would help the issue. Any thoughts from the more experience wood workers out there?

Originally posted by hannibal lecter spyderco
Any thoughts about this? Oh the thing that I'm kinda of tic off in is that I can't seem to find any books or videos or a website on ways to use this tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try www.combattech.com --they have a tomahawk video but it's not listed on their site. Call their phone number and ask--I think it's about $30. Haven't seen it myself but Keating's fans have posted about how great it is. Hope this helps.

Back