Tomahawk from Sleipner Steel

Hello everyone, I got a tomahawk I have been working on for quite some time finally ready.
This is was my second try making a tomahawk.
First time I created from a 10mm thick stock which turned out to be unwieldy and heavy. I ended up destroying it to uncover other mistakes in order to make it right the 2nd time.
This one is made out of 6mm thick sleipner steel heat treated at 58 hrc with the temper drawn back on the shaft. The handle is made out of black canvas micarta which was then patterned to assist in griping. Copper pins and kydex sheath with a kydex loop belt. The sheath came out amazingly good with a very tight and snappy action.
This is the second handle I installed on this tomahawk because the first one was a multi piece construction that broke apart after a few throws.
The balance needs some getting used too but it throws surprisingly well.
Cheers everyone, I appreciate all the comments and opinions.

IMG_8138 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8136 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8129 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8205 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8213 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8218 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8253 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8254 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8260 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8262 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

Hello everyone, I got a tomahawk I have been working on for quite some time finally ready.
This is was my second try making a tomahawk.
First time I created from a 10mm thick stock which turned out to be unwieldy and heavy. I ended up destroying it to uncover other mistakes in order to make it right the 2nd time.
This one is made out of 6mm thick sleipner steel heat treated at 58 hrc with the temper drawn back on the shaft. The handle is made out of black canvas micarta which was then patterned to assist in griping. Copper pins and kydex sheath with a kydex loop belt. The sheath came out amazingly good with a very tight and snappy action.
This is the second handle I installed on this tomahawk because the first one was a multi piece construction that broke apart after a few throws.
The balance needs some getting used too but it throws surprisingly well.
Cheers everyone, I appreciate all the comments and opinions.

IMG_8138 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8136 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8129 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8205 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8213 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8218 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8253 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8254 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8260 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

IMG_8262 by Panos Evripiotis, on Flickr

I also like it very much. Just curious how did you destroy the 10 mm thick one.:eek:

Thanks man, glad you like it. So I ll explain how I destroyed the 10mm thick one. You probably assume, that it is to thick to be destroyed but I will post here some pics of how it is now in order to explain it better when I get back from vacation.
In order to move the center of mass closer to the head so it could fly better but also to make it lighter, I had to mill pockets in the shaft it self. Those pockets turned out to be quite to big for the stresses I put it through by chopping logs, throwing (not always successful of course) and smashing some metal barrels to check how it would hold up.
I wanna point out that I heat treated the spike and edge and the rest of the hawk was not heat treated (o1 tool steel).
After using it as I said and because of the stresses, the shaft started to bend a and the g10 handle and pins started to peel off slowly.
In the end that piece could not be saved because of those bends and that happened because a left very little material near the pockets that could not handle the stresses.

Back