Tomahawk vs Kukri?

I know this prolly goes somewhere else, but being as hows its more of a general question it felt appropriate here.

Anyways, this could be debated forever, so some parameters. Basic hiking, camping, some survival stuff.

Thanks for your time.

I am by no means an expert, but you can do so much more and varied tasks with a Kukri. As far as i can tell, tomahawks are good for chopping (but a hatchet probably does that better) or fighting (if you lived 200 years ago).

Kukri all they way!

If I am doing trail clearing, I think the kukri is quite superior. For general camp chores, I could use either. More a matter of personal preference there.

DancesWithKnives

If both were of top notch in quality, built with the intended task in mind, and used by a skilled person -I would call it a draw.

however, the environments that they are used in may change that.

A khuk is better for khuki tasks. A tomahawk is better for tomahawky tasks.

Not all khuks are the same and not all hawks are the same. For example, a 1lb vtac does not have much in common with a 4lb chopping Khuk and a large work-oriented tomahawk doesn't have much in common with a lightweight martial-arts oriented khuk like the kobra.

I like a blade with a large cutting area so for my personal preferences a khuk is a better fit.

really depends on where you are if i was surrounded by jungle or soft woods idd likely like a khukri but if you are around hard woods you probably want a saw an axe or a hawk

The Crocodile #71870 machete made in the UK can pretty much do it all.

Other thana mid sized utility blade, I used a khukri for EVERYTHING in the woods. That is, until a piece of cedar took a bite out of it. I bought a Ranger RD Hawk as a trial replacement. I got it late in the season so I haven't put the hawk through it's paces yet, HOWEVER, it seems less functional so far. I wrote that off as learning curve.

So informally:
1. Hawk is ALOT tougher, but less useful.
2. The point on the back of the Hawk scares the hell out of me.
3. Warranty. Break a ranger, get a new one vs. Break a Kabar and you're S-O-L.

I know this prolly goes somewhere else, but being as hows its more of a general question it felt appropriate here.

Anyways, this could be debated forever, so some parameters. Basic hiking, camping, some survival stuff.

Thanks for your time.

The Cold Steel Kukri machete is one of the best camp, hiking, survival knives ever made end of story.

A tomahawk will chop fire wood better but the kukri has more utility. I like to have both with me as the kukri lacks in the fire wood chopping function. When sharpened properly the Cold Steel Trail Hawk tomahwk is an awesome chopper and light enough for hiking! Also check out S.A.Wetterlings axes and or Fort Turner tomahawks.

Last edited:
A tomahawk will chop fire wood better but the kukri has more utility.

In my opinion any heavy thicker-than-a-machete khuk is better for chopping fire wood than a tomahawk.

In the defense of those who disagree with me I do have crap depth perception so my efficiency with smaller heads is sub-par.

In my opinion any heavy thicker-than-a-machete khuk is better for chopping fire wood than a tomahawk.

In the defense of those who disagree with me I do have crap depth perception so my efficiency with smaller heads is sub-par.

Have you actually tried both chopping a log in comparison?

If so something must be wrong with the tomahawk's edge!

My little CS Trail Hawk will out chop a Kukri on logs anytime! If put in comparison chopping logs to a Wetterlings hatchet or small axe the Kukri is laughable at best!

I have extensive experience with both.

My choice hands down is my H.I. M-43 kukri. Not som kukri like object such as the cold steel kukchete. I used mine over a severall years long period of basic survival living. It excelled in procuring fuel, peeling logs, processing game, etc.etc.etc. I even used it to build two trapper style log cabins. It is still going strong. Once when chopping out a notch on a log I flexed the blade well ove 30-40 degrees and it went right back to true.
It also excelled at drawknife work.

I also have a tomahawk. It to is hand forged and is excellent for what it is. But sadly it is no match for the kukri either in cutting ability or versatility.

Someone saoid above they had a kukri which a cedar tree took a chunk out of. They should have let you k now what kind of kukri it was (where it was made, what company,model etc). None of my H.I.'s has ever had any problem with either hard or soft woods. I prefer my kukri over an axe due ti its much greater versatility. The M-43's chopping performance is unbelievable as it easily ouitperforms even axes in the same size range.

Whichever you like the most! A hawk is going to be a better splitter and a khukri is going to be better at clearing brush so pick which one you do more of. In reality anything will work if the user is a skilled one.;)

Yes.

It could shave just fine.

What khuks exactly can you outchop with it? The tomahawk I have used the most is the trail hawk so at least we have that common ground.

I have a few Cold Steel Kukri and a couple from Indonesia which are heavier than the CS but still no match for the tomahawk or hatchet when chopping logs, all are razor sharp. Perhaps its technique? I use a lot of speed rather than force and let the tool do its job ; )

Yes.

It could shave just fine.

What khuks exactly can you outchop with it? The tomahawk I have used the most is the trail hawk so at least we have that common ground.

i agree with you that a trail hawk is a poor chopper but you put a kukri against a riflemans hawk or an axe and it will lose every time when it comes to chopping

skill set has a lot to do with things as well i can do almost as much with my axe as i can with a knife

Other thana mid sized utility blade, I used a khukri for EVERYTHING in the woods. That is, until a piece of cedar took a bite out of it. I bought a Ranger RD Hawk as a trial replacement. I got it late in the season so I haven't put the hawk through it's paces yet, HOWEVER, it seems less functional so far. I wrote that off as learning curve.

So informally:
1. Hawk is ALOT tougher, but less useful.
2. The point on the back of the Hawk scares the hell out of me.
3. Warranty. Break a ranger, get a new one vs. Break a Kabar and you're S-O-L.

So you are talking about a Kabar? That's NOT a khukri, that is a bent knife made from stamped steel.

Get your hands on a real khukri from Nepal that has been properly forged, heat treated and convex sharpened and then see what your experiences will be like. You won't be losing chunks of the edge from cedar.

I would suggest the same for owner of CS bent knives.

Back