Tomahawks!

them sayocs are pretty sweet,but for a dang good deal, I would get a stormcrow made one. probably next on my list for a hawk.HI for my kukri..

I have been plotting for a long time to start expanding the ax collection, but usually the antiques are taken before i get there, and looking around at stuff like the sayoc, and the CS tomahawks , just trying to find the highest quality, akin to HI. Sayoc looks good, but for that price, thats a bonafide antique or a high quality HI custom, I mean something had better be really good to get 800 bucks out of me.-- should be a pile of blades or one that is very very hard to get otherwise.

Why doen's HI make hawks? 5160 is a suitable steel. They make impact tools. The market seems to me there.

I do hawks from 5160 and to get a hawk from 2-3" wide barstock is pretty labor intensive. It either needs to be hot slit or bandsaw cut, bent, upset to the right head/haft juncture, and then drawn out. It'd be a LOT of work w/o a power hammer (i know, because the first two years I made them my power hammer was a 6-1/2 lb straight peen on a 16" haft).image.jpg

Those look real nice. I kind of like the one without the little hook on the blade. Seems like it would be more useable for other stuff other than tearing heads off.

Wish I knew more about working steel.

those things look great! and same here bawanna, I am pretty envious of people who can sorcer steel, its why I buy stuff they make :D

defiantely agree with ya Bawanna and Gehazi. True talent with steel is a dieing art, but we have some true artists here. I am still saving for a JW blade he priced out for me a while back. I can't wait to finally be able to ask him to start on it for me... or maybe I should find out more about his 'hawks instead LOL. I am way too easily distracted.

Go HB Forge! I just got this franciscan:

330-400.jpg

Serious quality and very sharp

The old HI's are sweet hopefully some come back, I love hawks, dont know why but they appeal to me, I have a few,

Also have a two hawks longhunter but alas no pics

I would like a franciscan to pray for me at the moat of my house. with a francisca in either hand.

The Bancharo is crazy heavy too. I have a newer one that doesn't have the extremely flaired beard. The head alone weighs 32oz. It's a thumper for sure. The only issue is that the eye is round. A glancing blow causes the head to shimmy right or left. Not a big issue, but it might bother some.

After the handle on mine gave up the ghost, I affixed it to a 24" hickory sledge handle:D

Heavy head+round haft is a little nerve wracking. I once met a very heavy, very sharp Chinese halberd like that. Thing was spooky.
The indonesians cut a groove down the haft of pole weapons in line with the cutting edge-I tried it on my little naginata and it works pretty well, but that's not heavy.

The tomahawk pictured was my first custom anything.

Made from a rasp by Ryan Johnson, formerly of RMJ Forge, currently the man behind RMJ Tactical.

Back