Ton of firewood

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Square_peg, Jun 28, 2013.

1. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Jan 11, 2013
    That could make lots of handle scales.

2. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Half way done splitting it. I go out in the evening for a bit after work some days. Good way to unwind.

[​IMG]

I realize that this isn't very good firewood. This was more about just having something in the backyard to play with. What could be better than having a big ol' log to whack on? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Lookin' good Pegs :cool:

4. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    nice work. Looks like that rafting axe is treating you well.

5. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    If it was a ton when you got it you should net around 300 pounds after about 6 months. Don't worry, it will burn fine. It's particularly good wood for burning early in the season before the real cold sets in, no need to overdo it then.

E.DB.

6. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It sure is. It's such a beast. But I suppose any 5-pound axe on a 36" haft will put a lickin' on a log.

That's about right. [​IMG]

I've burned it plenty of times before. Our local black cottonwood actually burns pretty good so long as it's dry. And I don't get any odor coming back out of my fireplace. For those unfamiliar with cottonwood, when you burn it on an open fire it smells like some one peed on the fire. The stuff we have in Eastern Washington smells very strongly compared to the stuff on this side of the state. Must be something to do with the drier climate over there.