Too much, too little?

Excellent post, I agree that people generally have an idea about what their kit should contain based on where they are, their experiences and many are based on what they read or hear.

So my two cents, a FAK can be a survival kit IF you think you or someone else would need it and you aren't concerned with needing fire or a way to acquire food or water.

I see survival as a daily affair, I drink water, eat food, defecate and urinate, I sleep and I find something to do with my time when I'm not working.

So If I go to the woods, I carry food and a lighter, water and purification tablets/canteen, TP a space blanket a tent and a sleeping bag, that covers the basics for survival, the stuff I can't plan for so the knives come, a deck of cards, paracord, flashlight with spare batteries and whatever else I think I might need if it doesn't go as planned.

FAKs, they're another story, I don't see them as survival, I see them as comfort, aside from quik-klot/bee sting kit every thing else can be handled.

I don't see food as much of a necessity either because I take a good deal of it and if something does happen that limits mobility, food is just going to make getting water that much harder and more energy consuming.

As a mental exercise, traipsing through Alaska mid-winter, my survival kit has been drilled into me, road flares, portable CB, paper towels, socks, thermal shirt/pants, grocery bags(plastic) etc. the list varies by mode of transportation and where I'm going. this is years and years of experience and observation, I'm sure there are guys who go out with nothing more than a bic and a pocket knife and I'm doubly sure that there are guys who go with everything packed in their camper shells or trunk. It's an insurance policy that you pay into and hope you never have to redeem.

Big city survival, knife, gun(if it's an option), wad of cash, good shoes for running and a light backpack with apparel appropriate for weather possibilities. I'm sure everyone has other options or opinions. I suppose I should add cell phone to my list.

I believe in the survive in place motto. i have all I need at home, and can throw some of it in a bag and take off if needed. My survival kit is based on my continued movement to home if I am out and about. I have encountered on a couple of occations where storms have blocked roads. In the ice storm of 09, we had to bug out. I took my "oh crap" bag and we went to a central location and pooled our resources. Stores were closed, gas stations were dry in a day. We did just fine though. No power, no water. But, if we had been out, I would have had to get home. Luckily the storm hit early in the morning and I was home already. With in a few minutes the ice took out the power lines and blocked the roads. A few hours later, it was too cold to stay at home. Thats what my kit is based on. Its also seasonal. Some items are there always, others change with weather. I do keep a small axe, a folding saw, and of course a knife or two in the bag, along with water carry (nalgene bottle, metal cup, water purification tablets) and cooking items (hobo stove and sterno and a few cans of chilli or other high calorie food). Mechanic's gloves are nearly a must, I keep my ballistic shades on me anyhow, along with my casio pathfinder watch, and SAK. Comfy shoes are needed as i wear dress shoes most of the time to work. I also keep a small tarp and a cheapo hammock. The trip home may take more than a few hours. I also have basic first aid items and a small survival book. No way I can remember it all. Standard items are present, space blanket, compass, etc. I always remember that two is one and one is none. I double up on the most basic items, cutting tool, direction devise, cordage, fire making...

To top that off, I even keep my mountain bike in my trunk too. again, the idea is that I can always move forward no matter what. Or at least make it back to base camp (Home)

Just my 2 cents. If you think it sucks, let me know... it may.

I believe in the survive in place motto. i have all I need at home, and can throw some of it in a bag and take off if needed. My survival kit is based on my continued movement to home if I am out and about. I have encountered on a couple of occations where storms have blocked roads. In the ice storm of 09, we had to bug out. I took my "oh crap" bag and we went to a central location and pooled our resources. Stores were closed, gas stations were dry in a day. We did just fine though. No power, no water. But, if we had been out, I would have had to get home. Luckily the storm hit early in the morning and I was home already. With in a few minutes the ice took out the power lines and blocked the roads. A few hours later, it was too cold to stay at home. Thats what my kit is based on. Its also seasonal. Some items are there always, others change with weather. I do keep a small axe, a folding saw, and of course a knife or two in the bag, along with water carry (nalgene bottle, metal cup, water purification tablets) and cooking items (hobo stove and sterno and a few cans of chilli or other high calorie food). Mechanic's gloves are nearly a must, I keep my ballistic shades on me anyhow, along with my casio pathfinder watch, and SAK. Comfy shoes are needed as i wear dress shoes most of the time to work. I also keep a small tarp and a cheapo hammock. The trip home may take more than a few hours. I also have basic first aid items and a small survival book. No way I can remember it all. Standard items are present, space blanket, compass, etc. I always remember that two is one and one is none. I double up on the most basic items, cutting tool, direction devise, cordage, fire making...

To top that off, I even keep my mountain bike in my trunk too. again, the idea is that I can always move forward no matter what. Or at least make it back to base camp (Home)

Just my 2 cents. If you think it sucks, let me know... it may.

+1

no suckage in there. seasonal responses are important. Here, the summer and winter requirements are drastically different. But a "get home" kit is a great idea- and I'd consider it crucial to have it as at least a part of the planning.

I have wife and kids. Get Home- or Get to a meeting point- are very big deals for me.

Back