Too special to carry or too special to not carry?

So Thursday, my daughters 16th birthday, I carried the 65'-69' Case 53087 that she gave to me for Christmas. This is a VERY special knife to me and it's only been carried a couple of times to dinner with the family and such. I told her I was carrying it to work that day because " a special day deserves a special knife" and I recieved a big smile and hug from my no longer baby girl.
This morning at breakfast she asked me if I liked my 303 that I carry everyday better then the Case. I told her no, I absolutly love that stag Case stockman. It has without a doubt the best walk and talk of any knife I've ever owned, It's fit and finish is a reminder of the quality you can only get from a hand built knife from the past, the stag has aged to perfection and those CV blades are as sharp as razors. I carry a 303 because over the last 40+ years it's proven to be damn near indestructible and if lost or stolen or given away could be replaced easy enough. I told her that the Case was just too special to carry as my daily driver and I'd be heart broken if something ever happened to it!
She was silent for a few moments and I could see her thinking about what I had said. She then asked if I really smiled and thought of her every time I pulled it from my pocket, and when I held it in my hand and saw it next to my wedding ring that I thought about how blessed I am to have my family as I had told her? I said yes of course! She then told me that I should put it in my pocket and use it as the tool it was created to be. I should have something with me to make me smile all the time not just " special days" and I don't leave my wedding ring at home and it's pretty special isn't it? Then she told me that if anything ever happens to it she will just buy me a new one!
I love that kid!

So here it is, the knife that will be in my pocket bringing smiles and reminding me of the many blessings that have been bestowed on me for (I hope) for the rest of my days.
3a6dd23d86ee1037ad2daf20591b7f2b.jpg
7c2387c1940e5e34c40face94a3df411.jpg

Wow, what a heartwarming story, Clay. You've helped start my weekend with a big, bright ray of sunshine. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you'll be carrying your smile factory.

Clay, that's a great story and a beautiful knife. You are truly blessed! BTW, I'm carrying the 301 with me today :)

I think she's on to something, there. I had a pair of Aviators that my dad had flown with. One day, I had a friend who was hurting really badly, so I gave them to him to brighten his sky. He ended up loosing them, and when I told that story to another friend, the second guy said, "I've got something for ya," and he gave me a pair of old Aviators that his dad had flown with. Instantly had the same sentimental value to me because of the story that came along with them.

Point being - if it gets lost (and that's a big "if"), my hunch is, she'd find a way to replace it with something equally as special feeling, and then there will be a story to go with it.

I'm not usually much for stag, but that's some sexy looking deer right there.

I think you made a good decision here, Clay. Sometimes it can be a struggle deciding which knife to carry but in this case, how could you not choose the 53087. Besides that, it's a gorgeous knife and you seem to like it a lot.

I hope to read a post from you 10 years from now about how a great a companion that knife has been.:thumbup:

Great story Clay. It goes to show how smart our children really are. It's not the object but the thought.

Clay awesome story she really loves her daddy. Got my 303 you gave me in my pocket as well it's getting more use that my beer scout right now that sits in my other pocket! And because of you I have my 500 post GAW going down next week hopefully lol I know I'm close to the mark, I just don't like to post random for just the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on raising a good kid!
I'm sure that when the time comes, she'd much rather get a well used knife handed down than a safe queen.

Clay

That is a great story and shows how logical and perceptive kids can be. I love my kids too and, every once in awhile, especially when they were growing up the would surprise me with how wise they can truly be.

You're blessed my friend. Cherish it. I know you do.

Clay,
I have 3 young daughters who I love so very much. Your story touched me. My little girls are often wiser then me. Carry that knife every day. That's why she gave it to you. She knows better than you.

Congratulations. Well done.

Clay-sounds as though you raised a pretty smart young lady there. Great story! Just get a slip maybe. That way it'll stay nice looking and it might be a bit harder to lose-specially if you get a "rough side out " type. $.02
Thanks, Neal

Fantastic, thought-provoking story, Clay!! Sounds like you and your daughter have a priceless relationship! :thumbup::cool:
FWIW, I used to struggle with the same issue you addressed here: can I really carry my knives with the most sentimental value when there's a risk that I could lose or break them? I decided that the total amount of joy I could derive from regular carry, even if something eventually happened to a knife, would be far greater than keeping a knife "forever" but mostly neglected on a shelf. So now the knives that mean the most to me for personal reasons are the ones that I carry most often.

- GT

Clay, my friend, you are blessed! It appears that your daughter is wise beyond her years. Not to mention excellent taste in Cutlery. :thumbup:

I think your daughter gets it more than most of the people on this forum. What good is it if you don't carry and use it?

That is a wonderful looking knife, and it is even more special that it has so much meaning attached to it. Sounds like you've raised quite a nice young lady.

That seems like quite a quandary. I understand not wanting to lose the knife, such a special gift. But just thinking about your daughter every time you use it should outweigh the fear of something happening to it. I used to feel that way about rare or expensive knives, but then I realized I was missing out on an opportunity to carry really great and unique knives. I'm still protective of some, but I carry a lot of them more than I used to.

BTW, stunning Case in stag!

Back