Top 10 blades everyone should own

I guess I'll take a stab at this. I'm thinking I'll also go for a bit more breadth as far as flavors of sharp stuff goes.

In no particular order.

1. A good all-round kitchen knife. I mean the good stuff, nice handles, good blade steel. Anything from say a simple Kanehide Gyuto to something as extravagant as a Towner Cutler Chef's in Damasteel.

2. A folder 3.25" or larger (max blade 4"). This will probably fit the bill for most EDC use. Super broad range here, obviously.

3. A sub 3" folder (min blade 2.5"). So one can learn from experience that a larger knife is better. Nah, I kid, sometimes a smaller blade carries better and is pretty much all you'll need for the day.

4. A scandi blade. Mora would be good choice to see if one likes this style of grind (way better for bushcrafty stuff, IMO).

5. Something with micarta. I prefer canvas but I think it's a good material that everyone should at least experience once; buffed or blasted texturing, doesn't matter. It's a fantastic handle material regardless of how it's finished.

6. A multitool. I'd go with a Leatherman-style multitool over a SAK-style. Though, each have their own pros/cons. Outdoor, Leatherman-style, you'd be surprise how useful a small saw can be. EDC/city, yea, SAK-style, smaller, easier to carry, a bit more classy to carry, more useful tools for daily tasks.

7. A traditional. Be it a Buck 110, a Case Sodbuster, or even a Higonokami. I'd say modern traditionals could fit in this category, as well, even customs.

8. A friggin' cheap beater fixed blade. I'd say cheap would be around 100 bucks or so. BK&T BK7 would be pretty good choice, mine's a Condor Hudson Bay.

9. A quality fixed blade. Anything from BRKT to LT Wright to CPK. You know it when you see it.

10. A true custom. One that you design, pick materials, lock type, etc. Pretty much short of making the darn thing yourself.

I'm not the most well-versed when it comes to knives just yet, but I've been a knife nut for a long time (Since the Boy Scout days). I couldn't really come up with a full list of 10 MUST GET knives, as we're all different and have different needs/wants in a blade. But I can list a few that I have experience with that are great for just about anyone and everyone:

- Spyderco Delica: Already mentioned plenty in this thread, alone, but a truly great knife to have. Mine has brown FRN scales and stays in my work bag. Lightweight, simple, sharp, and easy to maintain.
- Bradford Guardian 3: I recently acquired one (green micarta, nimbus finish, with a sabre grind), and it's been interesting carrying a fixed blade as opposed to a folder. Ergonomics are great, it's small and easily concealable, and comes to you VERY sharp out of the box. So far, it's just been a great change that comes with its own pro's/con's (just like seemingly everything else).
- Swiss Army Knife: Really, any variant of the SAK's is a good addition, IMO. I keep a "Tinker" on my keys, and probably always will. The Tinker is just about the perfect combination of "tools vs size" and has saved me a few times.

Obviously, with all the options we're afforded these days in the knife world, I could make this list a few pages long... but those 3 stick out.

Of course we're cool. Thank you for this response, understanding the point, and taking it in stride! Good show lad! Only good things can be gained if we don't exclude the opposite sex in our language when we discuss this fine hobby!

On the topic of the Endura package, it is a fantastic amount of blade length in a tight package. Check the new Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N. Same package but super lite at a 2.6 oz vs the regular Endura at 3.6 oz. A few tweaks to the blade and handle to make it a salt.

Jncs9Uqh.jpg
I’m relieved to know that. :)

Wicked black blade at the bottom there.

not2sharp

Gold Member
For what it’s worth:
1. An modest EDC folding knife. Mine is a simple stockman, but that doesn’t matter so long as you are comfortable carrying the same knife everyday and everywhere you happen to go. It gets to the point that using it is a purely mechanical process and you are barely aware that you have it on you - unless you misplace it and realize that you can barely walk straight without it.

2. A full size multi-tool. Something that rides around in your glove box or luggage to get you out of thousands of little annoying problems that arise while you are away from your tool box.

3. A fixed bladed hunting knife. Something about the size of a steak knife that can be equally at home in the kitchen or field.

4. A folding hunting knife. Like a Buck 110 or any other kind of modern tactical folder. Mostly used for all forms of utility tasks around camp, home and office. Ease and speed of deployment is secondary to a sound and comfortable design.

5. A automatic folder, speed assist, flipper, balisong folding knife. If it’s a practical design you can use it in place of item 4. I have included it mostly as a stress relieving fidget device for knife enthusiast. Frankly, they are lots of fun.

6. A Swiss Army knife; the bigger the better. A Swiss Champ works great here. The knife should be carried in the backpack as an emergency problem solver. It is also a great form of entertainment, as people tend to get sucked into testing and playing with the numerous gadgets. It is far better to have someone sit there playing with one of these, while you get yourselves oriented, then to have them panic and run off into the woods where they can hurt themselves.

7. A camp/bushcrafting knife: a sturdy medium fixed blade that can be used for carving and detailed wood processing. Such as making tools, snares, traps, tent stakes.

8. A fighting knife, whether a Bowie/tanto or similar. Something large, light, fast, pointy and sharp with a solid hand guard. Not the most practical thing; but, as a knife nut, it is the one you would reach for when something goes bump in the night.

9. A full on chopper, Becker BK9, RTAC, Junglas, khukuri, bolo, or larger. The kind of knife that can be used for just about everything around camp. This can easily take the place of a hatchet, while retaining the ability to clear trails and brush.

10. A true classic machete. Something with a relatively light 14-18” blade that can make an easy task of clearing green growth. Sure, you can probably do it with the camp knife, but if you are going to do it for any length of time your arms and back will appreciate the machete.

n2s

hhmoore

Gold Member
Contented deleted - way too many words

Everybody should own a folding knife (I initially listed that as a pocketable knife; but I pocket carry fixed blades from time to time, and didn't want to lose a category). Most people should also own a smallish fixed blade (2.5-4" blade). Some people should own larger fixed blades. Some should have a chopper. Some should own a machete. I only got to 5, and not all of them are knives everybody should own. I suck at this game.

Last edited:

Dergyll

Gold Member
My first knife (after much thought) is a kershaw blur with half serration and the GB, it's a knife where speedsafe kind of make sense and my favorite Kershaw, had it for years.

Rat 2 (how to make a good cheap knife), anything from Civivi (good things from oversea), CRKT minimalist (dont boo me, the D2 bowie is the perfect necker), a Case (to appreciate where we came from), a victorinox (so you appreciate good steel).

I dont think the $300+ ones are "you must try", the extra quality you get once you reach a certain price point diminishes (alot). That being said, I think everyone should take some time and customize+buy a full custom piece. It gives you the feeling that you "made" it, at least you're the reason for its existence and just makes it so special.

YOLO, life's too short to just buy a bunch of the same stuff, have some variety. Try some carbon steels, try some Maxamet, try some triad lock, try some liner lock. It's your knife, theres no right answer.

Sorry to get so profound.

Makael

Books temporarily closed on sheath orders.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Makael

Books temporarily closed on sheath orders.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The question was aimed at Boys, so for my sons it would be.
Buck 110
Buck 124
Sypderco pm2
CRK 21
Becker 16
Leatherman any
SAK any
Ruana any
Busse any
Behring made any

In my honest opinion, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have owned every highly recommended knife under the sun including the 110 in multiple variations. The knife sucks. You literally wrote a paragraph on how to fix the dumb thing and that was your argument. Sorry, the stock 110 that ships in garbage 420HC is a lame, outdated knife and everyone knows it. Just a bunch of people in denial soaking in nostalgia.

BTGuy

Gold Member
This is pretty much what I was about to write:
1. A good all-round kitchen knife. I mean the good stuff, nice handles, good blade steel. Anything from say a simple Kanehide Gyuto to something as extravagant as a Towner Cutler Chef's in Damasteel.

2. A folder 3.25" or larger (max blade 4"). This will probably fit the bill for most EDC use. Super broad range here, obviously.

3. A sub 3" folder (min blade 2.5"). So one can learn from experience that a larger knife is better. Nah, I kid, sometimes a smaller blade carries better and is pretty much all you'll need for the day.

4. A scandi blade. Mora would be good choice to see if one likes this style of grind (way better for bushcrafty stuff, IMO).

5. Something with micarta. I prefer canvas but I think it's a good material that everyone should at least experience once; buffed or blasted texturing, doesn't matter. It's a fantastic handle material regardless of how it's finished.

6. A multitool. I'd go with a Leatherman-style multitool over a SAK-style. Though, each have their own pros/cons. Outdoor, Leatherman-style, you'd be surprise how useful a small saw can be. EDC/city, yea, SAK-style, smaller, easier to carry, a bit more classy to carry, more useful tools for daily tasks.

7. A traditional. Be it a Buck 110, a Case Sodbuster, or even a Higonokami. I'd say modern traditionals could fit in this category, as well, even customs.

8. A friggin' cheap beater fixed blade. I'd say cheap would be around 100 bucks or so. BK&T BK7 would be pretty good choice, mine's a Condor Hudson Bay.

9. A quality fixed blade. Anything from BRKT to LT Wright to CPK. You know it when you see it.

10. A true custom. One that you design, pick materials, lock type, etc. Pretty much short of making the darn thing yourself.

A specific example to #3 is the Spyderco Dragonfly. Before I got that knife I was certain anything under 3"-3.5" would never work for me as a regular day-to-day knife. It made me realize you can still have good ergonomics and deal with the majority of cutting tasks with something so compact. In the end, everybody should try a few things outside their predispositions to get a true idea of what works for them.

soc_monki

Basic Member
Actually, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have owned every highly recommended knife under the sun including the 110 in multiple variations. The knife sucks. You literally wrote a paragraph on how to fix the dumb thing and that was your argument. Sorry, the stock 110 that ships in garbage 420HC is a lame, outdated knife and everyone knows it. Just a bunch of people in denial soaking in nostalgia.

No, I wrote a paragraph about all the different variations that exist already.

I don't care how many knives you've owned, or how expensive they have been. The 110 is a great knife, for a price anyone can afford. Just because you have a problem with it doesn't mean it's a bad knife. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

Lee D

Basic Member
If the 110 is “lame outdated knife”, why did you bother buying multiple variations?

You're mistaking your opinions and preferences for facts. You used the word 'objectively' early on in the discussion, I recommend looking up a good, in-depth explanation about the difference between subjective opinions and objective facts. I'll help with the first bit, 'good' and 'bad' are value judgements and, as such, are never objective facts.

You're mistaking your opinions and preferences for facts. You used the word 'objectively' early on in the discussion, I recommend looking up a good, in-depth explanation about the difference between subjective opinions and objective facts. I'll help with the first bit, 'good' and 'bad' are value judgements and, as such, are never objective facts.

It may be a fact that you don't like the 110. It's just your opinion that it's a bad knife.

Obviously, everyone doesn't "know it", or you wouldn't be getting so much push-back on your statement. It may be a bad knife for your needs and preferences, which is a perfectly valid opinion, but obviously enough people like them that Buck keeps making them and people keep buying them.

It actually is objective that the standard 110 lacks most of the features that people currently weigh as valuable in a modern folding knife. That's why it's so ridiculous that people keep recommending it as if it isn't a clunky boat anchor with an edge. One of my favorite parts about expressing how overrated that knife is is watching you all squirm and try to dog pile me. I know what objective vs subjective is. Objective: the knife weighs half a pound, has below even budget Chinese blade steel, has no pocket clip, cannot be easily manipulated with one hand. Subjective: it's a an outdated and irrelevant folding knife.