Top 10 blades everyone should own

If you're saying you don't feel a 1911 on your belt, you're full of poo.

I carry a Glock and it annoys me.
The 420 keys (4.5 pounds) for all the different locations the company I worked for had (includes storage) plus 6 or 8 personal keys hanging from a belt loop didn't bother me either. :)

The 1911 government was carried in a S.O.B. holster, with a same size Soviet Tokerov 9mm or S&W J frame .38 Spcl/.357 Mag in a shoulder holster.
(some days I reversed them.)
I also had a Locerin .380 ACP in my fanny pack, along with a couple spare mags for the Locerin, 1911, and Tokerov, and a speed loader for the S&W.
The latter two pistols were always lock n' loaded with one in the pipe. The .380 had a funky hard to flip safety so none in the pipe, but a full mag.
The revolver when carried, had a full cylinder.

Surgery on right hip back in 1976 may have something to do wight the weight not bothering me. That thigh don't feel much ... nerves are kinda dead since that operation.
I don't feel the Buck 110 on my hip or the knives in RFP when sleeping, for example. (as former OTR truck driver, I haven't broke habit of sleeping with clothes on yet. ... don't see no reason I should ... I single and in assisted living now ... S'not like some her is gonna be joining me ...)

I weighed 130 pounds without the 3 arms, keys, a 7OT on my belt, and two large slipjoints in my RFP.
160 pounds in stocking feet with them, according to the doc's scale. (leather Army boots added another 4 or 5 pounds)

I got fat driving over the road truck years later. I'm up to 158 in my skivvies this A.M., down from a high of 180 when I retired in 2017.. :)
I still wanna lose another 30, but seem stuck at 158 ~ 160 with a spare tire the last couple years. :(

The 420 keys (4.5 pounds) for all the different locations the company I worked for had (includes storage) plus 6 or 8 personal keys hanging from a belt loop didn't bother me either. :)

The 1911 government was carried in a S.O.B. holster, with a same size Soviet Tokerov 9mm or S&W J frame .38 Spcl/.357 Mag in a shoulder holster.
I also had a Locerin .380 ACP in my fanny pack, along with a couple spare mags for the Locerin, 1911, and Tokerov, and a speed loader for the S&W.
The latter two pistols were always lock n' loaded with one in the pipe. The .380 had a funky hard to flip safety so none in the pipe, but a full mag.

Surgery on right hip back in 1976 may have something to do wight the weight not bothering me. That thigh don't feel much ... nerves are kinda dead since that operation.
I don't feel the Buck 110 on my hip or the knives in RFP when sleeping, for example. (as former OTR truck driver, I haven't broke habit of sleeping with clothes on yet. ... don't see no reason I should ... I single and in assisted living now ... S'not like some her is gonna be joining me ...)

I weighed 130 pounds without the 3 arms, keys, a 7OT on my belt, and two large slipjoints in my RFP.
160 pounds in stocking feet with them, according to the doc's scale. (leather Army boots added another 4 or 5 pounds)

I got fat driving over the road truck years later. I'm up to 158 in my skivvies this A.M., down from a high of 180 when I retired in 2017.. :)
I still wanna lose another 30, but seem stuck at 158 ~ 160 with a spare tire the last couple years. :(

I was a truck driver also. You definitely have to be careful around those all-you-can-eat buffet tables. :D
I never slept with my clothes on, except on rare occasions - too uncomfortable for me.

This is mine:
1) 240mm Gyuto since that's really the knife I use the most. My daily user is a 240mm Tsourkan 52100 workhorse
2) A good bread knife since they are also great for slicing things like tomatoes. I have an inexpensive Tojiro ITK 270mm. It's so sharp my wife is afraid to use it :)
3) Vic Alox. Pick the one you want but for me it's the Rancher
4) Stockman. If you have only one slip joint then this is the king
5) Spyderco PM2 simply because it is a great knife that is made in the US and crazy smooth
6) Spyderco Delica or Endura as they are classics and you can experiment with a variety of steels
7) A good flipper. My choice these days has been the Gen6 Hinderer XM-18 including the regular and skinny
8) Becker BK9 for backyard or camping
9) CRK Sebenza
10) Some really good kitchen sheers. You would be amazed at how useful these are

The best thing about the kitchen shears is that they happily do cutting that will mess up your kitchen knives. Or edc knife, for that matter.

You stated it was an objective claim. That means you need to provide hard research...
Nope. Sure don't. I'm not trying to break a 30 year old math equation or identify a dinosaur bone. I have been active in this community for over 15 years and read 100s of opinions and see 100s of EDC pictures every day. I don't need to provide you a 10 year study on knife popularity in the enthusiast community to prove that there is very, very little representation for the 110. You also know that 7 point however many ounces is close enough to half a pound to call it half a pound. Is the fraction of an ounce I'm rounding up the hill you really want to make your stand on? Lastly, Opinels and Victorinox knives are also outdated and I would never recommend them. Sure the ones we have from our past are fine and loving them is also fine, same with the 110, but these knives are outdated and fervently defended by a very vocal minority of older enthusiasts that are actually being pretty dishonest about what you should expect from a decent quality knife in 2021.

Nope. Sure don't. I'm not trying to break a 30 year old math equation or identify a dinosaur bone. I have been active in this community for over 15 years and read 100s of opinions and see 100s of EDC pictures every day. I don't need to provide you a 10 year study on knife popularity in the enthusiast community to prove that there is very, very little representation for the 110. You also know that 7 point however many ounces is close enough to half a pound to call it half a pound. Is the fraction of an ounce I'm rounding up the hill you really want to make your stand on? Lastly, Opinels and Victorinox knives are also outdated and I would never recommend them. Sure the ones we have from our past are fine and loving them is also fine, same with the 110, but these knives are outdated and fervently defended by a very vocal minority of older enthusiasts that are actually being pretty dishonest about what you should expect from a decent quality knife in 2021.
Yet again you demonstrate your lack of comprehension of the terms you're using. You stated that it was an objective fact that the 110 lacked features most people value. That absolutely requires that you back it up with hard numbers or admit that it's simply an assumption you've made based on your experiences.

Again, if we are discussing OBJECTIVE FACTS the 110 is NOT half a pound. That is an objective fact. If, again, you had simply stated that it was half a pound and had not brought objectivity into it, fine, I have no problem with a quick estimate, but again, you claimed it as an OBJECTIVE FACT while being, objectively, wrong.

Lastly, the idea that enthusiasts are the ones keeping Victorinox and Opinel popular is simply laughable. They both outsell every other knife manufacturer in the world by an order of magnitude. There aren't enough knife enthusiasts in the world to buy 40 million Victorinox knives every year. Those knives are being bought, in the millions, by people that simply want a tool that fits their needs and the reason they continue to sell is that they continue to meet those needs.

The Buck 110 is far from my favorite knife, but it is still a useful knife for a lot of hunters. Knife forum members are not like most people. Most people couldn't care less what steel is in their knife, or if it flicks open with one hand. What they care about is whether, or not it will cut well for it's intended purpose. The 110 still does a fine job of field dressing deer. I have never seen a dead deer that was impressed by exotic steel, or thought a hunter was cool because his knife flicked open with one hand. Forum members are the minority. Just look around where you work. How many people have a knife clipped to their pocket? In twenty-five years I have seen very few.

Hey my friend,

Much respect to you. My father was a truck driver too. You guys don't get the recognition you deserve.

Sorry about your hip, but maybe it's a good thing? I have something going on with my back that causes me intense pain down through my hip, all the way to my ankle. I haven't slept well for months. Going to start making phone calls about it tomorrow, I'm desperate now lol.

Sounds like you're an experienced carrier, and have some awesome tools. Gotta love the 1911. All the 1911's I've ever shot were beautiful, and shot point of aim.

Have a great night sir!

I'm glad you've made peace with the fact that you don't understand the words objective and subjective. I would, of course, suggest you actually learn it and you won't find yourself eating crow nearly so often.
I know exactly what the words mean. Our disagreement resides in applying those definitions. You want to apply objectivity to something like being able to observe the knife enthusiast community for what it is in the same way that a scientist applies test result tables. You are actually the one being silly right now. You and I both know I'm correct. OBJECTIVELY, more people in any knife enthusiast (and this is important, otherwise you would be defending gas station knives too) community would much rather carry a PM2, Rat 1, Bugout, etc. than a 110 or Opinel. That's just a fact. I'm not eating any crow, big guy. But I am done discussing this with you. You can have the last word.

I know exactly what the words mean. Our disagreement resides in applying those definitions. You want to apply objectivity to something like being able to observe the knife enthusiast community for what it is in the same way that a scientist applies test result tables. You are actually the one being silly right now. You and I both know I'm correct. OBJECTIVELY, more people in any knife enthusiast (and this is important, otherwise you would be defending gas station knives too) community would much rather carry a PM2, Rat 1, Bugout, etc. than a 110 or Opinel. That's just a fact. I'm not eating any crow, big guy. But I am done discussing this with you. You can have the last word.
You keep making it clear that you don't know what those words mean. I also wasn't the one that wanted to apply objectivity to that observation YOU claimed that you HAD applied objectivity to it and you continue to make that claim in the very post I'm quoting, which further shows that you lack a basic understanding of what objectivity is. You're making an assumption based on your experiences. That hardly meets any standard of objectivity, particularly since you're using it to try to reinforce an argument for your own preferences.

The best thing about the kitchen shears is that they happily do cutting that will mess up your kitchen knives. Or edc knife, for that matter.

Exactly. There are times when I think about using an abusing my EDC knife when my shears are really the best solution.

Reactions: DMG
Wow, didn't know there were such strong opinions over the buck 110.

Full disclosure: I'm 30 and I do like the 110 but I like the 55 more though, it just looks like the 110 had a more pocketable baby lol.

My top 10 (My opinion and taste of course)
1. Sebenza (any iteration and size)
2. Spyderco Military
3. Spyderco Endura or delica
4. Spyderco Native 1 full serrated (best serrations I have ever used)
5. Victorinox pioneer
6. Leatherman Wave
7. Randall Model 1 (talk about iconic)
8. Douk Douk large or small (interesting history behind them)
9. Mercator K55K (also has a very long history behind them)
10. Opinel (interesting locking mechanism and their french historical and cultural significance)

Bonus. One of those pocket stanley blade holders (I have one from Magnus and its pretty useful)

Of course we're cool. Thank you for this response, understanding the point, and taking it in stride! Good show lad! Only good things can be gained if we don't exclude the opposite sex in our language when we discuss this fine hobby!

On the topic of the Endura package, it is a fantastic amount of blade length in a tight package. Check the new Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N. Same package but super lite at a 2.6 oz vs the regular Endura at 3.6 oz. A few tweaks to the blade and handle to make it a salt.

Jncs9Uqh.jpg

WHAT. IS. THAT??? Is that an Endura sprint run? What the hell man, that's the best color/pattern I've ever seen in that material, and that its glow in the dark... like.. I'm low key mad I've seen this. Were Dragonfly 2's ever made in this combination? If so I have a new mission in life and I blame literally everyone in this thread

Personally, I expect a decent knife in 2021 to cut well... Unlike some of the two pound folding prybars I see some people paying $500+ for.

This bad boy is in my pocket every single day (along with another knife that I use for actual cutting) and I have yet to find a tool that is as convenient or useful. I certainly wouldn't call it outdated, even if it is discontinued.

slmuErF.jpg

Personally, I expect a decent knife in 2021 to cut well... Unlike some of the two pound folding prybars I see some people paying $500+ for.

This bad boy is in my pocket every single day (along with another knife that I use for actual cutting) and I have yet to find a tool that is as convenient or useful. I certainly wouldn't call it outdated, even if it is discontinued.

slmuErF.jpg

While I agree with him about the Buck 110, I do strongly disagree with him on SAK's.

It's an amazing amount of utility in such a small, easy to carry package.

I saved the day, just last weekend, at a cookout. Nobody had a can opener. My Alox SAK worked pretty damn good on those cans of baked beans!

Gonna have to agree with that sentiment about the 110. It’s iconic, and a cool display piece, but not one I think is in any way a necessary knife for the modern enthusiast. I bought one about ten years after scouring pages of these types of threads and articles. All of which failed to mention its drawbacks for practical use. It’s probably the only knife in my collection I’d willingly give up because it just isn’t practical for most of my uses. Not saying anything about the slimmer/lighter variations cause I haven’t tried them. But when you’re backpacking 10 miles into the wilderness, the last knife you want is a half pound, two handed folder. You’d be better off with a fixed blade and a quality light weight folder.

my current list would be in no particular order:

- esee izula/3/4/PR4
- CR Sebenza
- Benchmade bugout (I prefer the new carbon fiber)
- Benchmade Tengu flipper
- Leatherman Wave

Gonna have to agree with that sentiment about the 110. It’s iconic, and a cool display piece, but not one I think is in any way a necessary knife for the modern enthusiast. I bought one about ten years after scouring pages of these types of threads and articles. All of which failed to mention its drawbacks for practical use. It’s probably the only knife in my collection I’d willingly give up because it just isn’t practical for most of my uses. Not saying anything about the slimmer/lighter variations cause I haven’t tried them. But when you’re backpacking 10 miles into the wilderness, the last knife you want is a half pound, two handed folder. You’d be better off with a fixed blade and a quality light weight folder.

my current list would be in no particular order:

- esee izula/3/4/PR4
- CR Sebenza
- Benchmade bugout (I prefer the new carbon fiber)
- Benchmade Tengu flipper
- Leatherman Wave

I can get on board with that. I absolutely love the Buck 110. But looking at it purely as a tool, I agree it's outdated and that there are many better options for an EDC. I do still think it's a great hunting knife though and they do a great job skinning and dressing deer. The reasons I love the Buck 110 doesn't really have much to do with it's ability to be used as a cutting tool though. I love it for all the other reasons you mentioned. It's iconic. Both my Grandfather carried one and my Great-Grandfather was buried with his. There's just so much history behind them. I also think it's beautiful knife with wonderful lines. I love the build quality to price ratio. I love that they use natural ebony. I love that they took an affordable steel and with the BOS wizardry, got just about every bit of performance out of it that was possible. I love the robust feel in the hand. I love the different variations. Lots of stuff to love! But yea, as cutting tool that I want to carry on a daily basis... I think there are much better options.

I dig your list too.

Opinel 8
Any SAK
Buck 110
Spyderco Shaman
Benchmade G10 Griptilian
Ka-Bar USMC
XM-18
Emerson Commander
A big stag handle Bowie
A nice puukko

Reactions: DMG