Top Clips - Why?

Ok, so this is probably a niave and obvious question, but here goes ........

What is the purpose of the top clip? The length, depth, degree of sharness, grind, angle etc varies greatly. Are there any technical reasons for this other than aesthetics?

A non-knife friend asked me this question today - my answers included references to sharpened topclips for penetration and upward movement, weight reduction, balance and weight distribution depending on purpose.

But I was guessing - can anyone give a more technical and informed answer?

Thanks,

Stephen:confused: :confused:

All of the above listed reasons, plus they just look better that way.

I would guess that at least 90% of the time clips on knives are designed more for good looks, rather than being thoroughly thought out by the designer as to how it affects the function of the blade. IMHO in most cases for a utility knife it has a very insignificant effect on performance Unless we are talking about double edge knives, or knives designed to back cut, or stab. It does definately look cool though.
Kyle Fuglesten

Ok, more specifically. I want them on my blades, because they make the point just that much pointier.

The clip is used basically to produce a finer more acute point. This is of benefit in doing fine, detailed work with the tip. It also aids with penetration. The finer tip will be less strong, but I have yet to ever break the tip on a knife with a clip point.

Depending on how the clip is executed, It can be benneficial
several ways......

By making the point more nearly centered.

By reducing weight at the tip, making the knife more
easily moved by wrist action, and less dependant on
arm movement.

By thinning the last quarter-to-third of the blade, and
reducing resistance to passing through tissue (slashing).

............And besides, I like the look.

Russ

what Russ said.

I am working on Browning Firearms proto types that had to be ready and shipped on the 26th. I had a short time to do them in so my daughter went and watched my table for me. She knows more about knives than a lot of men. I will have a few pieces for LR.

Back