Review Tops Apache Falcon

I recently acquired a Tops Apache Falcon. Tops gives a generous military discount and I've liked the design for quite some time so I bit the bullet and ordered the blade. It comes with a basic black ballistic nylon sheath with a plastic insert. I found it to be over sized, blocky, and not up to my standard (plastic not formed to blade, glued in so you can't remove it, and only uses velcro for blade retention on handle). I immediately put it in a Spec Ops Combat Master short (had to remove the rivets on the insert and it worked perfect).

0-CCCC308-E5-B2-4553-9446-67685-F5071-E6.jpg

On to the actual knife. It is awesome. The design is very stout but it cuts very well. It was easy to make hair popping sharp (love Tops 1095 steel) and maintained its edge so well that I was shocked. In fact, the only thing I don't like about the blade is the writing all over the thing. We all know Tops loves to do that, but it just detracts from what is otherwise I beautiful and well executed knife. The handle lends itself to use and stays locked in your hand in any position you can imagine. No hot spots were had during use yet and I used it pretty hard the past few days.

Some glory pics:

47-F01-AA4-E01-A-4394-AE86-800-B84-EDE56-A.jpg

4-C3-D7-FD6-98-BE-400-B-B0-EF-11-C78-C99-BAAC.jpg

A83-D0514-A74-A-4990-A01-F-C84-F84-C5473-D.jpg

When all was said and done, it could still shave and that made me very happy. Tops definitely has their heat treat done right. The heavy choil allows for an easy choke up grip for fine work and it can be used easily in a field/utility knife role. Obviously, you can see the merits in the bowie design for combat application.

If you have been on the fence about this knife, I would recommend it highly. I doubt you will be disappointed. It is stout and gives you a sense of confidence that you cannot destroy it. Tops did a great job on this one.

334-A91-AA-DAD2-4-E85-94-DE-948-B3-FD6-E55-B.jpg

It is a fun knife. I'm using it in a military role (ie, soldier's knife) and it actually does field tasks well. In fact, much better than I thought it would. For its intended purpose of knife fighting/combat, I am sure it would do just fine in that as well. I am sure I'll never find that out (God willing), but it's nice to have confidence in your equipment.

Nice review and pics. And like you, I wish tops wouldn't write all over a beautiful blade. I would own more if they didn't.

Craytab,
It’s just a shame. It takes something that has beautiful form and function and makes it seem tacky.

I am not so fond on the knife itself but pictures are great. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Great review as well.

Mikel

jacksterp,
hahahaha. Yes it is quite the ATV for sure. I'll tell you what, it is a darn expensive one and repairing it takes some muscle.

Mikel,
Thank you.

The adventures continue. This blade is still going strong. Took some pics doing some recon recently during a training exercise:

Found a little predator skull, one of the racoon dog things or a fox, not sure:
E4787429-0-F04-470-D-A704-169-BA244-B12-E.jpg

I wear a size XL glove for reference. The moose here are pretty large. You can see the size compared to the deer print above as well.
D95-B8789-1-B67-4773-9-E5-B-016-F65959-C0-B.jpg

Back