TOPS BOB vs Esee 4 vs BM Adamas

Well got my TOPS Brothers Of Bushcraft (BOB) knife today.........
WOW I'm impressed........it actually makes my Esee 4 look like a toy! (sorry Esee) :rolleyes:

I call it a cross tween the Esee 4 and the Esee 5.
It definitely is heavier than the 4 but same size blade.
Has the heft and feel of a 5 no doubt.
Fits the hand much better and feels more like a tool for heavy use.

I like the Kydex sheath cept for the metal clip that's non removable.
Firesteel it comes with isn't the best but better than nothing at all.
I like the longer handle for my large hand....bow drill divot both sides.
I like the heft and edge better than the 4...I would say it's much better for chopping/battoning.
Same grade of steel as the Esee 1095....has very slightly higher rockwell hardness @ 56-58rc vs Esee 4 @ 55-57rc
The BOB is prettier looking knife by far but that's just looks not functionality and not truly important.

Pretty sweet blade and anyone who gets one I think will like it a LOT!
Only gripe might be the heft of it and maybe the sheath.

Here is the BOB compared to my Esee 4 and my BM Adamas

TOPS%20BOB%20Esee%204-L.jpg

TOPS%20BOB%20BM%20Adamas-L.jpg

I'm with you on the BOB knife. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it is now my go to bushcrafter. I tried to like the Shango notch but couldn't.
I have too many black kydex sheaths so I gave this one a quick rattle can camo job. I replaced the anemic firesteel with a hefty 3/8 X 3 model.
The old firesteel is easily removed to utilize the original cap.

Yeah I wanna do that and replace that damn crappy metal clip on the sheath.
That's a big goof far as I'm concerned. Gotta figure a mod for it!

All three are knives I would buy, and though the BOB is a lot better looking, I like the blade geometry on the ESEE 4 better. At least, from what I can see in those pictures. I've handled neither of the three.

All three are knives I would buy, and though the BOB is a lot better looking, I like the blade geometry on the ESEE 4 better. At least, from what I can see in those pictures. I've handled neither of the three.

The Esee 4 (1095 High carbon) blade is thinner and flat but small non-ergonomic handle.
The BOB (1095 High carbon) is a do all survival blade not a specialty blade.
The BM Adamas (D2 Steel) is the beefiest folding knife I've ever seen and it built like a tank.

All 3 have their place and are EXCELLENT... if I had to grab just one in a hurry in a emergency.......
I have no idea which it'd be...probably the BOB cuz it's a all purpose. <<shrug>>

I like these handles on the 4.I think the improve an already decent knife.That BOB looks great.

I like the Kydex sheath cept for the metal clip that's non removable.
Yeah I wanna do that and replace that damn crappy metal clip on the sheath.
That's a big goof far as I'm concerned. Gotta figure a mod for it!

It's gotta be removable somehow, right? In the image below (lifted from woodsmonkey.com) there is a patch on the face of the clip - is that removable? If so, there should be a screw/fastener beneath it that holds the clip to the kydex, easily removed.

DSCF1188_800x600.jpg

Once removed, you can add an alternative suspension method. OR you could clip the sheath to a pocket and use cord or leather or whatever to secure it to your belt. Lots of options...

kyhunt, nice looking ESEE-4 :thumbup::thumbup: The alternative handle is a huge improvement too.

It's gotta be removable somehow, right? In the image below (lifted from woodsmonkey.com) there is a patch on the face of the clip - is that removable? If so, there should be a screw/fastener beneath it that holds the clip to the kydex, easily removed.
Once removed, you can add an alternative suspension method. OR you could clip the sheath to a pocket and use cord or leather or whatever to secure it to your belt. Lots of options...

kyhunt, nice looking ESEE-4 :thumbup::thumbup: The alternative handle is a huge improvement too.

Yeah I see that.....just gotta see what'll fit there on the narrow hump.

Yeah I see that.....just gotta see what'll fit there on the narrow hump.

If you do get the clip off, here is what I put on my sheaths to make them ride lower:

IMG_0617.JPG

All that it requires is 2 holes spaced 3/4" O.C. along the edge of the sheath, same as for a tek-lok. You might need to drill another hole along the edge of the BOB sheath for it to work - 3/16" brad-point drill bit works great for that. Drop me a PM if you think this might work for you.

From what I've found the custom ones with the Green/Black and Grey/Black G10 were dealer only.
Is this true? Cuz straight from TOPS they have Brown Micarta.

Back