• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

TOPS knives C.A.T. Series

I'm looking hard at one of the CAT series neck knives. Anyone out there have any experience with the CAT series or TOPS knives in general? Or for that matter, any other neck knife makers? The CAT series seems well priced for the product they are making. I've never worn a neck knife, but it seems like a good back up since my boss frowns on second carry firearms. Thoughts, advice and opinions are all welcome.

Mutt

Mutt,

I have a CAT series knife, the hunter point to be exact, the knife is bomb proof. I love the feel of the handle, and the blade steel takes and holds a very good edge. The only problem I had, and one the was easily fixed, is the kydex sheath released the knife too easily, I just heated it and reformed it. problem solved. They also have a very good warranty on their stuff, no questions asked.
I bought mine from the makers themselves at a show in MT, they were very interested in what people who were buying the knives had to say about them, and about the intended uses, I carry mine for bowhunting, and thats about it. Overall I feel its the best knife for me...for the money.

------------------
Take care of the tools that take care of you

I have handled the Tops C.A.T.s and I really liked the looks but thought the steel was too thick.I'm not sure but I think it was 3/16" thick.For a neck knife for daily wear I believe this is to thick and heavy.My local dealer carries TOPS and Newt Livesay's knives.I always end up going in and handling the tops knives,decide they are way to thick and heavy for me.Then I buy a couple of Livesay knives and my knife jones is satisfied for a couple of weeks.I realize they want the knives to be bombproof,but if TOPS would offer their small knives in 1/8"steel,I would start to add TOPS knives to my collection.
troy

MtHunter,

Thanks for the info. How do you carry your knife? Did you get the handles? It's my intention to carry mine over my body armor and under my uniform? How bulky a knife is this? Ben says they are pretty damn thick. Thats great for tough, but how well does it conceal? I hate sharpening a chisel grind so I'm opting for the hunter point. Speaking of kydex MtHunter, have you ever had a custom sheath made?

Mutt

Mutt,

I did get mine with the handles, but soon learned that if you remove the handles you get the same exact knife as without them, this adds more versatility, as you also get the belt clip this way. They are thick knives, but also very durable!! The trick to getting the fit right once the handles are removed is some careful trimming and heating to reform the kydex. I have never ordered a custom sheath, but I have done some of my own. I hope this helps.

------------------

Hey I just ordered an Interceptor by Tops.

You guys make me feel like I am getting one hell of a knife. Thanks

To the guy who wanted a thinner neck knife there are so many who use 1/8" Lynn griffith, Al Polkowski, Ed Chavar, etc.

I am really happy it is thick then of course I am a Busse fan.

Thanks
Chris

tactical knives has an issue with the T.O.P.s steel eagle in it, around like 2 months ago I beleive

Mutt,

You asked about how I have carried my knife...I have carried it in all sorts of ways! If you just make new holes in the kydex you can set it up to carry in just about any way imaginable! I have carried it around my neck, this is not the way I would like to carry it, but then I do not like to carry any knife this way. but I must say that if I had to carry a knife around my neck as a last line of defense, I would choose this one! No matter how heavy, I think the trade off in weight is worth the extra trust I would put in the knife, and I feel that is what counts.

I hope this helps

------------------

Back