TOPS Knives

Like many of you I am sure, I am frustrated bt the lack of availability of Busse and Swamp Rat knives. Models I have lusted after are no longer available and what is available seems impractical, to me at least. Busse and Swamp Rat availabilty seems as closely controlled as the diamond market.

Seeking an alternative, I have taken a look at the TOPS lineup. I have always liked the Busse Mean Street and hoped I could find a TOPS "Mean Streets." Alas I fear there is only one Mean Street. I did buy the TOPS Sea Wolfe, however. This is a slender 1/8 inch 154CM blade with blue Micarta grips. While it has no where near the beef of the Mean Street, there is something to be said for a light weight slim pofile for carrying in one's waist band.

What do guys think of TOPS Knives? What do you like and what concerns you about them?

I have 3 TOPS knives; a CQT Magnum, a Scalpel, and a sm, Wolf Pup. I like them all very much! With that said, I would also suggest you check out Fehrman.

the tiny Prairie Fox. It's well made but their bigger blades strike me as a bit pricey. You might check out Justin's Ranger Knives, though. They've got quite a following.

Frank

G3

Via con dios
Gold Member
Basic Member
I was thinking of getting the Armageddon. Has anyone ever used one of these? Thoughts?

Hey there Willieboy,
In terms of Busse's I believe that www.bladeart.com has a lean mean street in stock as well as some anorexic badgers. As far as TOPS goes I can only speak on behalf of their Interceptor and I think it's great. Anyway, good luck to you on your quest.

-Lindey

Walking Man

BANNED
Tops knives are one of the only companies that actually return emails.
That speaks volumes to me.

I've only had 1 TOPS, the Firestrike and the edge has been convexed.

I don't normally got for knives like this, but this one sure is a tough knife!

There is a fair amount of TOPS bashing that goes on here, but I think it is uncalled for. I have a total of six of their fixed blades and feel confident in all of them. My Armgeddon is a great knife, capable of any task you could ask of a large blade.

t1mpani

Platinum Member
I may have just missed it, but I haven't noticed a great deal of TOPS bashing here. There has been some questioning regarding the prices they charge, and the utility-to-flash ratio of some of their designs, but I don't think anyone would argue that they're not solidly made. My personal opinion is that you can do better but you can also do far worse. From what I understand their customer service is quite good.

Edit: spelling.

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
Walking Man said:
Tops knives are one of the only companies that actually return emails.

They didn't return mine when I had problems with the Steel Eagle with the saw teeth and then tip breaking.

-Cliff

madcap_magician

Platinum Member
I haven't seen any TOPS bashing outside the pricing on their large fixed blades. The reason I like them is their small fixed blades in any case- awesome designs for neck or keychain knives. S4 Supply has most of them, and they're good to deal with, too.

Can anyone explain to me what purpose the holes in the blade of most TOPS knives serve? If any?

I have a Firestrike which I have used very little but it seems like it's pretty tough.
I have a Bush Ranger made of 52100 which I like very much, especially with the rotating belt clip.

I also have a Pasayten of 154cm steel which did not come with an edge that would cut even a piece of paper. It is hardened to 59-60 Rc which is very hard for this steel. It took diamond tools for me to get an cutting edge on it, it seems to defie any removal of metal by just about any means. Once I can get the edge profile I like and sharpness I like it will probably be an okay knife too.

FWIW, the Busse Country Store has the "Hell Razor" knive in stock and you can buy it now. Jerry just told me via email that it should ship in 2 to 5 days.

Don't ever count out the Fehrman knives either I have the Last Chance and 3 more models on order right now.

Ciao
Ron
:thumbup:

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
bailes said:
Can anyone explain to me what purpose the holes in the blade of most TOPS knives serve? If any?

They make it appear "tactical". They are very annoying in use, brush gathers in them and causes the knife to hang. On meats and fish they fill up and are just another place to clean. They are sometimes used to lighten a blade but they are a poor method to do so, tapers and fuller are much more mechanically sound.

-Cliff

I'd check Ranger Knives too, you can even ask Justin for a custom for a good price and awesome quality.