Recommendation? Tops war Prather general use

Hello, I’m curious to hear your guys opinion of the tops war Prather Bowie.

I’m looking for a knife that is handier and more “fighting-ish” than the cold steel drop forged survivalist (gen 1).

my requirements would be a knife able to prep food, make kindling, do some lighter weight batoning (only every once in a while) and still be light and handy enough to carry on my person and defend myself from Bigfoot and cattle rustlers.

my current set up is the before mentioned cs drop forged survival knife and a green river dadely on my belt and a tomahawk on my ruck sack.

my drop forged survivalist works so well at a batoning that I may ditch the tomahawk and just carry the cs in my rucksack for wood processing.

I love the look of the tops Bowie, especially if I would be able to remove the finish of the knife so it develops a nice “natural” looking patina. so I’m curious to hear your guys opinion on the tops Bowie.

I’m looking for a knife that is handier and more “fighting-ish” than the cold steel drop forged survivalist (gen 1).

my requirements would be a knife able to prep food, make kindling, do some lighter weight batoning (only every once in a while) and still be light and handy enough to carry on my person and defend myself from Bigfoot and cattle rustlers.

my current set up is the before mentioned cs drop forged survival knife and a green river dadely on my belt and a tomahawk on my ruck sack.

my drop forged survivalist works so well at a batoning that I may ditch the tomahawk and just carry the cs in my rucksack for wood processing.

I love the look of the tops Bowie, especially if I would be able to remove the finish of the knife so it develops a nice “natural” looking patina. so I’m curious to hear your guys opinion on the tops Bowie.

I’ve never owned the Prather War Bowie, but I’ve owned lots of other Tops knives. The steel is great - holds an edge a long time for what it is, and it’s plenty tough.

The coating comes off easily. 1095 looks nice with a good patina. I’d say go for it.

I have this knife. It's great. Its definitely thick enough to baton it. I think you'll enjoy it. I carry a Cuts 4.0 half the time and after a year it still looks great.

The Prather Bowie is on my to do list. Love the looks and TOPS is good to go. I wouldn’t consider it a top contender for batoning though it is plenty thick enough. The swedged top would be hard on the baton. The sheath sucks but I believe the knife is a superlative fighter.
If it speaks to you, I say go for it. I can’t think of a better a Independence Day knife.

Welcome.
Sounds like a nice trio. Should be able to cover most tasks.

I have both - Prather and the Gen 1 CS Survivalist. Prather has so far been left stock but the Survivalist has been modded. Stripped, clip drawn back/lowered, guard bobbed, choil added and lightening cuts in the handle to change the balance slightly, patina forced (until I get around to rust blue it).

Both knives are good solid blades. You can go wrong with either.
oQ2Ck6V.jpg

In that case, the Prather should be right up your alley. Its a fighting knife par excellence and would excell in that category. Its a dedicarted fighting knife after all contrary to the CS.

The Prather would be fine for food prep in the sense that for example when chopping vegetables, your knuckless wont hit the cutting board due to the tall blade. In spite of the thick blade, it should be able to slice/cut meat just fine (that was after all, what it was designed for).

The Prather how ever is not suitable for batoning, not only is it a safety consideration due to the long curved clip, but also because the clip made for penetration is a weak point (the Prather is a solid knife and most likely wont break but if abused, thats where itll break). Last but not least, the Prather clip would chew up your baton in short order.
(though if only be for light batoning, as you say, that should pose no big problem).

For carrying, one doesnt have an advantage over the other, as they are both big and relatively heavy knives. One shouldnt outdistance the other in this category (or at at least wouldnt for me). Youll do equally well with carrying the Tops or the CS.

Im not a knife fighter but due to the long drawn out clip of the Prather, IMO it would have the edge over the CS for fending off Sasquatch and intimidating cattle rustlers. The Prather wins in the SD department.

As for steel, both the proven 1095 and 52100 are fine.

Good point. Not least because you are talking about two heavy knives (Prather and Survivalist). Saving weight for when hiking is imperative IMO and some smaller more light weight knives might be alternatives but that wasnt what you asked for and outside the scope of this thread, so Ill stick to the two knives mentioned.
The CS does indeed work well for batoning the stock configuration. The stock Survivalist blade does after all have the lines of the proven CS Trailmaster.
The CS wins in the wood processing department IMO.

For woods bumming, Id pick the CS Survivalist (in spite of CS' OTT marketing and stigma associated with the brand). The Prather is better for SD and for chopping/slicing some foods but overall the CS would IMO be the better knife for general 'bushcrafting' of the two and will be adequate for when chopping/slicing food.

tl:dr Some of CS' marketing I cant abide and CS turns out some models, which are tacticlol and quite frankly horrible. Though some of the CS blades are silly, the cheapish CS Survivalist is not one of them.
For a general woods bumming knife, one could do a lot worse for the money than the CS Survivalist, if the choice is between that or some other equally heavy knife at the same price point.

Last edited:
Hey, if you like it, by all means, get it! This is one TOPS knife I never got. I agree with you that it should have had no coating. Somehow, the black coating on this one just never appealed to me. It must be the aesthetics overall. A naked steel blade, especially on a bowie, is usually better looking.

Back