1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

TOPS

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PMCsoldier, May 30, 2019.

1. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    :eek: wow! Nice to talk to you, this is pretty cool! :D I love my Tibo, I think you did a killer job on it. I have had mine for years now and its held up perfectly through everything Ive put it through. Ive used it for small game hunting quite a bit and its seen use on the trapline too. I have used it when out boating and fishing. Ive used it as a pocketknife to do normal everyday stuff too. Lol Ive used it alot and carried it even more.
    After years of use I just have to say, great job! :cool: Heres some feedback if you want it. I like that its pointier than most neck knives (makes it better for opening up squirrels and fish and such). I like the powder coat, its excellent, especially since I live in a salt marsh on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The jimping is great, though a little rough on bare hands. The knife fits my hand very well, though I cant find any scales for it (those blue ones you have in that picture are sweet!). :( The steel is great, even though you didnt get the heat treatment you wanted apparently, it is still done very well. I like the fire striking choil thing too and the sheath is solid. My favorite thing about it is that its thin. The Tibo cuts like crazy! Overall its one of my favorite knives, and it wasnt even too expensive.
    How did you want to tweak it? Id be interested in a version 2.0! That sucks that TOPS wouldnt cooperate with you. Also, the knife in that picture is really cool!
    Sorry to go off topic on the OP and get longwinded.

B Griffin likes this.
  2. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you! You actually nailed a lot of the more utilitarian thinking behind this knife, I grew up fishing and trapping commercially. But I should probably do a separate thread to discuss the GFO elements and the rest of the thinking behind the design. Here I'll just stick with what's relative and say that no I actually got the exact heat treat I did want on the Tibo. I honestly do like their through-hardened 1095 on the smaller narrower-bladed knives. I just personally prefer a good stainless because I grew up in south Florida. As for scales, get on face book and look up Joe Snarski and LMF Knives. He makes the scales for the Tibo

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  3. PMCsoldier

PMCsoldier Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2019
    I have a couple of the TDI knives. I find they are fantastic for skinning and cleaning game and always just a nice little back up knife

4. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I put a Spyderco G clip on mine for the same reason. I trashed that lame metal clip.

5. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Makael and Jocephus 1 could you please tell me more about the Backpacker Bowie?? This knife peeks my interest!!:D Thanks..:D
    John

6. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I have the Prather War Bowie from TOPS and for a thick knife it cuts great. Its handled everything I have used it for with out any issue. TOPS does offer some crazy looking designs though. Their models that are intended as outdoor or hunting knives seem more useful than their tactical models.

7. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I've owned 4 Tops knives and I sold all of them. My main problem with them is that they are too over built. Meaning they are heavy and too thick. I also didn't like all the writing otherwise they were made well and very easy to sharpen knives. But the friends who bought the knives love them.

B Griffin and BladeScout like this.
  8. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Great little knife, kinda small handle in hand but very comfortable.

jmh33 likes this.
  9. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Here is their Camp Creek Skinner. Purpose built thin flatgrind and sharp. First class fit and finish.
    20190602_105237.jpg 20190602_105259.jpg 20190602_105309.jpg 20190602_105336.jpg 20190602_105418.jpg

jmh33 likes this.
  10. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Yes. And the reason for this is because their Flagship model, the Steel Eagle came about because Mike Fuller had a few stick tang knives fail on missions in Vietnam, and the main goal of TOPS starting out was to make knives soldiers could trust to handle extremes. So all of them were full tang, thick, and had low saber grinds to leave a lot of mass in the spine. Essentially, and intentionally, sharpened pry bars. Which could help explain some of their growing pains and QC issues when they started venturing into thinner blades for more practical applications.

PMCsoldier and hunter55 like this.
  11. fielder

fielder

Jan 25, 2011
    I really like my Desert Nomad. It isn't too thick behind the edge.

PMCsoldier likes this.
  12. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Only tops knife I’ll probably own but it’s a good one. Good edge geometry and ergonomics no matter how hard you press in to something it doesn’t generate any pain into your hand. Slight I’m guessing unintentional recurve but whatever.
    As far as price like you guys have discussed I think the price point on this particular model is right on. 49F19D9F-8CAA-4C7D-A119-D91973ED6687.jpeg

beaverballs, Makael and jmh33 like this.
  13. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Have not bought one a couple of years, but I did like the Rouge wolf, Tomohawk Hunter and Hog 4.5 - still have all there, plus a regularly use an MSK 3.5 as a backup pocket knife for when I am wary of handing out my other EDC to folks who might field dress their bagel on a rock....or some cutting task sure to mangle the edge a little.

Lately, the Little Bugger has caught my eye - I like warncliffe blades, and it's thinner stock, looks like a handy EDC...

Also, I think the latest kitchen offering, the Dicer 3 Paring knife would fit into my outdoor user quiver - thin stock, high primary grind and what looks like a useful handle and overall blade shape - knifeworks has this model for $129 in s35vn w/ included kydex sheath.

14. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I have two TOPS knives, a Cut 4.0 and a Lion's Toothpick (LTP). Both have a very thick stock but are otherwise great knives. The LTP didn't cut well when I got it, I had to resharpen it at ~15 degrees on a KO worksharp blade grinder, now it's a cutter. I like the Cut 4.0.

I wish they would make smaller versions of their knives with thinner blade stock and CPM154/S35VN. Their sheaths are serviceable, just not refined.

15. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    I have two of those. Great little knife.

Tops does a great job staying current. Keep a eye out.

16. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    I really like it, but my wife LOVES it. She carries it quite a bit when we go backpacking. She loves the ergonomics. Its hard to explain. The knife isn't a bushcraft knife, and it isn't a survival type knife. Rather, it's in its own category. Its a solid knife. I'd buy one again.

jmh33 likes this.