1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torture testing My latest W2

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Josh Rider, May 17, 2017.

1. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm working on a new w2 knife
    3/16" from Aldo
    Thanks for looking and any criticism or feedback.
    I would honestly love to hear what custom knife guys dislike or what you like in a camp style or all around knife.

[​IMG]upload an image

Creaky Bones and Sneakypete like this.
  2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Looks like you've got a great start my friend. Going for a hamon on this one? :)

3. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Yes Dudley, I don't know how to stop myself from working on my hamon.:)
    My next one will be 3v though.

Dawkind likes this.
  4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    nothing to dislike there. looks like it would do most tasks. nice and pointy :)

Josh Rider likes this.
  5. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005

I hate the blue you used here. Totally destroys the credibility and intent of the tool, in my book. Plus, it would clash with everything in my wardrobe. Don't you have anything in a pastel?

6. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Haha:thumbsup:

7. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    if you tighten the radius forward of the index, you can choke up just a little further, which would be handy for a knife this size. What's it, around 5.5" blade?

Josh Rider likes this.
  8. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    Great looking blade my friend.

Josh Rider likes this.
  9. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks guys, I normalized and thermal cycled it and then applied some more satanite. I haven't had great success getting the hamon to follow the clay so I'm trying to get a little better at doing it by eye in the forge with a magnet. Definitely not an easy feat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I tempered it 2 hours each x 2 @400 ,425

10. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    How do you mean, Lorien?
    Thanks for the advice, this is what I'm looking for.

11. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    the rough idea;
    [​IMG]

12. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    I gotcha. That can easily be remedied.

13. Park Swan

Park Swan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 15, 2016
    This. Commonly see near symmetrical handles (front to back), but your hand registers better in front with something to bump up against. Knife will feel more under control. Looks great though!

Josh Rider likes this.
  14. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Bring the grind higher, even all the way to the spine. .1875" is still a lot of steel, you've got plenty of strength to do anything a knife like that should. Maybe even distal taper...

Josh Rider likes this.
  15. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    All of this advice was perfect. Lorien, the knife feels way better with the choil change, the full flat grind feels better as Matt said, it looked weird on the spine before the distal taper. It changed the look of the profile, but I'm happier with it like this.

Banana micarta handle and carbon fiber tubes and pins.

I still have some cleanup, but it's almost done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Creaky Bones and SpySmasher like this.
  16. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    looks great, man

Josh Rider likes this.
  17. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Great job and a fine hamon....nice! :cool:

Josh Rider likes this.
  18. bloody_pawprint

bloody_pawprint Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Good looking knife, my friend. I like how the feedback was taken into consideration while not deviating from your original work. I like that banana micarta, too.

v8r and Josh Rider like this.
  19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Good feedback.

I like the look of saber grinds a lot. But in practice prefer full flat for use. I usually end up buying full flat (or full convex to zero, or combo there of.... Flat to convex).

That knife turned out great!

Josh Rider likes this.
  20. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks guys! For me, knife users and collectors know WAY more than me on what makes a good camp knife so I like to hear what guys want since I don't camp or get outdoors nearly as much as I'd like to.