Torx Bit Recommendations

Going against the grain, I'd recommend Wera over Wiha. The quality of the bit itself is a wash but the shape of the Wera handles is a huge improvement over Wiha. Easier to grip and the indexed shape makes it easier to control at the very fine scale of tuning a pivot.

CRKT has a new tool with bits this year. It is really very nice and they provide Wiha bits in it. There are two Scout Leather designed tools.

the one called a "6 bit driver tool" It is a "stubby" and it is very well made. Works great!

I like many others used to think Wiha was best, then I came across Wera. While Wera is the only brand I prefer to Wiha, it also seems to be the only brand that's more expensive, at least stateside. I have far more Wiha tools in general than any other brand, but prefer Wera Torx drivers for knife work. Both brands are German. There's something about that German steel. Wera can be harder to find stateside than Wiha as less is imported.

If available in the USA, I can recommend WERA.

If available in the USA, I can recommend WERA.

You can find some on Amazon, just not near as much Wera as Wiha. Can't really go wrong with either.

I'm trying the Blue Box first; but Wiha is on my radar...

If you can't get Wiha easily, Wera seems to be more common in Australia for example, I think they are a good alternative. I'm going to guess that if they are Czech made they are pulling from the same talent pool of some other companies in an area that know their stuff. (as much as one can make that assumption) So I would not worry about them not being German made anymore. Where I work I do a fair bit of work on little delicate high speed cutting motors, you know the kind of german engineering that is so close to the line that a bad day will break things, and the Wera driver bits are the only ones we have not broken yet (you wouldn't think you could get driver killer torque on a T10 but I work with some apes). I recently got a big cheap set of drivers so I won't be getting anything good soon, but so far Wera is the only set I've come across with hollow ground commons, so when I do need some good drivers for real work, I'll be getting some.

Back