Tour of Horsewright Knives at the Pro Am

Great stuff Dave. Looks like the event was very successful. Must make you feel pretty good seeing your products being used. Good times right there.

Cambertree I used lots of water buffalo horn for a long time. Enough that I was importing it directly from India. I kinda backed off. Had lots of problems with it wanting to go back to being curved. Nowadays I will only use it with Loveless bolts or some other type of mechanical fastener like Corby bolts. Using these I've had very good success. I do use a lot of sheephorn. I've never had as much problem with sheephorn pulling away. I really don't do anything special to it or other horns except shaping, sanding and polishing. Sometimes with years of use it'll get a little dull and a guy could rebuff but that's about it.

Dave, thanks for the rundown on your experiences with buff horn. I appreciate it. Yeah, I once asked a guy who sells a lot of custom and handmade knives out in Seattle what his first choice in material for a durable, tough, hunting knife handle would be. Without skipping a beat, he said 'sheep horn'.

Thanks guys!!

Yep Jake it is great to see something you made being used. Also cool to meet folks face to face that might of been customers for a while but you've only talked on the phone or something.

Good deal Sacto. Several good customers on staff there.

Good deal Chin you are welcome. Hope it helps some.

Tom its blue dyed and stabilized Box Elder burl. Left over from making this guy:

eajUhTD.jpg

Thanks for following along. Been out doing our own fall works for the ranch but I've a little time after feeding the horses this morning.

So the girls third run was right after. Woody got it headed pretty quick and Janine nailed the heels. Nichole jumped down to do the groundwork. Here she's "tailing" down the cow:

B7MG6Uf.jpg

She fixed the head rope first by taking it off and putting it around the crossed front feet. Then she jumped on the flank to help prevent the cow from kicking her and fixed the back feet.

rXTJOe2.jpg

So with two good times out of their three runs they were on the hot seat. They could still make the finals depending on how well or not so well folks did in the morning. The top 50 teams out of the total of 155 will comeback on Sunday for the finals. We went and closed up the booth and went to dinner.

Next morning we opened up the booth and business was brisk. I kept on collecting pics. This young lady stopped by:

iQr1lMj.jpg

Janine and Stan stopped by. They were in and out most of the day. My son was roping today and so they were keeping us informed of when to come out and watch. Nichole made Janine's purse too:

W7QuLqk.jpg

Stan had his water buffalo belt on with a Buckaroo knife in a roughout sheath:

CM4zIS2.jpg

uWpxESe.jpg

This gentleman was walking down the aisle and while it looked like one of my knives I hadn't made any sheaths that way so I stopped him and asked him about it. It was one of my knives and sheaths and he had modded the sheath. Normally that sheath has a belt loop on the back and is carried horizontally on the belt right there were it is shown. He'd put a belt loop on the front so he could carry it under his belt. He'd done a pretty nice job of it too:

bms9RyA.jpg

So it was time for my son Logan to rope. He and his nephew Easton are always a team to watch. They have made the finals every year except once. Easton is one of the younger competitors as he is a junior in high school. But he is a vacuum cleaner with that rope!

Logan on Downtown Mr Brown coming in for his first go followed by Easton. Purely by coinkadink they drew Woody as their Pro too.

fgXs4cv.jpg

NWwHHHO.jpg

Easton went in first to head and it didn't take him long to nail it:

8TwDPLg.jpg

Well they got a good time on their run and would come back again for runs 2 and 3 that afternoon. Back to the store I go.

Every year my friend Bruce stops by and buys a knife or two. He'll usually stop by on Thursday to get the pick of the crop. Here he's wearing the one he bought Thursday on Sat. This one had a water buffalo sheath:

McrhgnO.jpg

He'd bought a Buckaroo with ironwood handle.

xdcbGGj.jpg

This gentleman stopped by and he was wearing one of our Beltless Sheaths. See how it snaps around the belt loops and so can be worn without a belt or over a belt as he was doing here.

m97cDhS.jpg

He called me about two weeks before the show to make sure I was bringing some more Beltless Sheaths and knives to the show. He told me kinda a funny story. He was at the Walmart in Helena Montana. After a while he became aware that a guy was following him around. After this continued for a little bit he turned around and asked the guy: "Is there something I can help you with?" The guy says: "Can I see your knife and sheath? That's the coolest thing I've every seen". I brought 3 knives with Beltless sheaths to the show and he did buy one. He told me that he'd bought this from me at the show two years ago. He'd worn it everyday since and he felt it was the best sheath he'd ever worn. His original one came with a Compadre with a mesquite handle:

EhnjV23.jpg

Fernando stopped by and visited for a bit. He's a friend of ours from Tehachapi our home town and he helps on the ranch sometimes. A retired Judge, he has several of my knives and varies which one he wears depending on how dressed up he is. Here today with the tie and tweed jacket he's gone with his mammoth tooth handled Gordo:

oiNoBGY.jpg

86F3nCj.jpg

Well I've got to go and get ready. We're branding a few slicks today and processing the whole herd with wormer and a vitamin/mineral supplement injection. It'll be a big day. Keep on coming back and I'll add more as I can. questions and comments always welcome.

Dave, you take nice pics. Very clear and fun to see. What a great life you lead out there!
I was "struck" by that pic of the "beltless sheath" that the one fellow is wearing. Never saw anything like that, and I missed it the first time I read your thread. It looks like that particular design will hold down the sheath (by the knife tip) more effectively that more standard designs. I realize there are a couple of snaps, but still, very interesting.
Glad your family performed well in the arena...must be fun just to watch, and to meet all your friends from time to time.
best to you,
Don

Another great post Dave, a real treat to read, and you certainly take fantastic pics :) I'm excited for more my friend, going to end up like my bow-legged grandpa at this rate! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Here's a link Don that covers the evolution of that Beltless Sheath some. Give me a call when ya can.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/beltless-sheath-revisited.1296529/

Jack, keep working on those legs buddy. I got that deal going on. Nichole and I on the catwalk this past Saturday helping to push cattle up into the squeeze chute for processing.

LuIsuKA.jpg

I got em this a way:

leQ8wEx.jpg

Know that song well Bill. Look up Pedro Marquez's version, played often in my shop.

Well Logan and Easton had a good second and third run. They made the finals going in as team 26 out of 50. Scoring was extremely close this year. Logan was on another team too and came in 67 so missed the finals by 17 teams. However, there was only 3 points difference between team 50 and his team 67! Sunday morning the finals start and its a clean slate on four head.

Logan and Easton on one of their runs Saturday afternoon:

C9LBsJE.jpg

Always cool when your pro has to get down and do the groundwork. Means ya didn't miss:

VQpPFoA.jpg

A Compadre with blue jigged bone handle and a Horizontal sheath:

jhl3v9D.jpg

i4JwhkY.jpg

My ranching partner Steve might be ready for a new one, but he likes rusticity a word he coined:

frZeRzm.jpg

CcU2ZoU.jpg

An older Buckaroo in Sambar Stag. I haven't used Sambar in some years:

VGwJQxe.jpg

x7ZVvY3.jpg

This guy bought this one Saturday. Buckaroo with sheep horn and red liners:

Vb5EudJ.jpg

zeclRI7.jpg

Sunday morning came and they went at it. Woody has this one headed and Logan comes in for the heels:

TKEsoUy.jpg

zn9ED0h.jpg

Then Easton whips out crazy smart and ropes both front feet. Very difficult shot, easy to get one or to miss altogether. Extra points but counts as a miss if ya only get one. So he pulls out the foundation and the cow goes down and Woody jumps down and does the groundwork as his head rope now doesn't matter. Great run but they ended up 36th out of 50. OH well, next year.

mG3Cp9H.jpg

Saturday and Sunday business was very brisk and we sold a lot. This one is a Cowboy with cocobolo. The Cowboy and my Buckaroo are the same pattern. The Cowboy is in AEB-L and the Buckaroo in high carbon damascus:

eQPTCBL.jpg

DF3ombI.jpg

Keep following along. Almost done with the tale. Questions and comments always welcome and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
So Sunday we kept on selling and did quite well. Here my friend Stan is manning the booth:

9hjhq1e.jpg

Thursday this table was full. There are some on the other table as well. We took 42 knives and brought back 14! Dang cool.

ejbNGT0.jpg

rPKRHzI.jpg

Some old guy at work. What was cool was we didn't sell just knives but a wide variety of our products, wildrags, purses, belts, holsters etc. We make everything we sell too by the way.

X1njPBB.jpg

Towards the end of the day these two cute college gals from Montana State dropped by, both wearing my knives. They had been part of the crew helping to put on the show.

raEga9v.jpg

2CPslMj.jpg

Both were carrying Coyotes one in mesquite and the other in sheephorn:

KG2FFaW.jpg

Well that was pretty much it except for tearing down the booth, saying goodbyes, tearing down camp and driving home. Got home about midnight Sunday. Collapsed Monday and started in at the ranch on Tuesday through Saturday. But thats another story. Thanks agian for watching and questions and comments are most welcome.

Jack, keep working on those legs buddy. I got that deal going on. Nichole and I on the catwalk this past Saturday helping to push cattle up into the squeeze chute for processing.

LuIsuKA.jpg

I got em this a way:

leQ8wEx.jpg

Know that song well Bill. Look up Pedro Marquez's version, played often in my shop.

Well Logan and Easton had a good second and third run. They made the finals going in as team 26 out of 50. Scoring was extremely close this year. Logan was on another team too and came in 67 so missed the finals by 17 teams. However, there was only 3 points difference between team 50 and his team 67! Sunday morning the finals start and its a clean slate on four head.

Logan and Easton on one of their runs Saturday afternoon:

C9LBsJE.jpg

Always cool when your pro has to get down and do the groundwork. Means ya didn't miss:

VQpPFoA.jpg

A Compadre with blue jigged bone handle and a Horizontal sheath:

jhl3v9D.jpg

i4JwhkY.jpg

My ranching partner Steve might be ready for a new one, but he likes rusticity a word he coined:

frZeRzm.jpg

CcU2ZoU.jpg

An older Buckaroo in Sambar Stag. I haven't used Sambar in some years:

VGwJQxe.jpg

x7ZVvY3.jpg

This guy bought this one Saturday. Buckaroo with sheep horn and red liners:

Vb5EudJ.jpg

zeclRI7.jpg

Sunday morning came and they went at it. Woody has this one headed and Logan comes in for the heels:

TKEsoUy.jpg

zn9ED0h.jpg

Then Easton whips out crazy smart and ropes both front feet. Very difficult shot, easy to get one or to miss altogether. Extra points but counts as a miss if ya only get one. So he pulls out the foundation and the cow goes down and Woody jumps down and does the groundwork as his head rope now doesn't matter. Great run but they ended up 36th out of 50. OH well, next year.

mG3Cp9H.jpg

Saturday and Sunday business was very brisk and we sold a lot. This one is a Cowboy with cocobolo. The Cowboy and my Buckaroo are the same pattern. The Cowboy is in AEB-L and the Buckaroo in high carbon damascus:

eQPTCBL.jpg

DF3ombI.jpg

Keep following along. Almost done with the tale. Questions and comments always welcome and thanks for looking.

The way the sciatica has me this week, I'm practically bow-legged already Dave! :eek: :D Incredible pics my friend (that shot of Logan coming in with the rope is a GREAT action shot), and the stall looks fantastic, must have been something to see all those well-dressed folks carrying your beautiful knives :) Did Janine and Nichole get into the final (sorry if I'm not keeping up!)?

Thanks Jack! Hope that gets to feeling better for ya! The secret to taking good roping pics is to be a roper. Then you know where things is gonna happen at. No the girls didn't make it. Next year for them too. So the plan is I'll rope with Nichole and then Logan on another team, Nichole will rope with Janine, and Stan will rope with Janine. So all we'll need is lots of $$ for entry fees and someone to run the store. Whacha doing next October?

Thanks Jack! Hope that gets to feeling better for ya! The secret to taking good roping pics is to be a roper. Then you know where things is gonna happen at. No the girls didn't make it. Next year for them too. So the plan is I'll rope with Nichole and then Logan on another team, Nichole will rope with Janine, and Stan will rope with Janine. So all we'll need is lots of $$ for entry fees and someone to run the store. Whacha doing next October?

Thanks pal :) You've certainly got a knack my friend :) Sorry to hear that, but I will be rooting for you all over the next 12 months. I'm not sure what all those cowboys would make of an old Yorkshire feller in a flat-cap, but I would love to make it over sometime Dave! :D :) :thumbsup:

Back