Tourniquets

I was thinking: if I'm in a car accident or something and my leg gets ripped open and I'm still conscious (but not for long), a pressure dressing won't do it. I have a belt, but I'm not confident I could tighten it adequately under those circumstances.

So my question is, what makes the best tourniquet? Is there a commercially available, reasonably priced tourniquet that can be easily and effectively applied quickly with one hand? Can it be reproduced? If so, how?

i have found that the best tourniquet is a blood pressure cuff, although i use it ina diferent way than you are suggesting, it is easily applied, and inflated with one hand.

alex

I wouldn't use a tourniquet, especially if you're going to pass out. Direct pressure is the only way to help contol bleeding and not lose your leg in the process.

I've read that they use air pressure in cases of severe trauma, but havn't seen it used and don't really know anything about it other than once in place, is inflated to help stabilize the individual until they can reach the trauma center. Are you using the cuff in addition to a pressure bandage to help control bleeding? Or, does the inflated cuff stop the bleeding like a tourniquet?

Do you use the disposable cuffs? One site I saw sells them in packs of (5) for just over 40.00 and I'm sure they're available for less.

Check out Quikclot and the Z-Medica sites for an interesting alternative. It's usable even where a tourniquet wouldn't be (such as the femoral artery too high on the leg to fit a tourniquet)

They used to have a video of testing of this stuff on a pig (sedated pig in medical conditions, slashed the femoral artery and poured a pack on, just about instant stabalization) but I can't seem to find it on their site. I'd bet that they got too many complaints. All the same, I bought a pack of this stuff for my bag and pray I never need it.

Hope you don't have to use it either. Thanks for the site. Gonna see if our Doc can supply us with that and a couple of other items. Otherwise, we'll be looking to add a couple to our kit as well.

A blood pressure cuff is a pretty good idea, thanks. I'll see if I can find one cheaply. Still open to other suggestions, in the meantime.

I wouldn't use a tourniquet, especially if you're going to pass out. Direct pressure is the only way to help contol bleeding and not lose your leg in the process.

You're probably not going to lose your leg from a tourniquet if help isn't that far away. The limbs can go for a pretty long time with very little blood flow. For example, the legs can survive 4-5 hours with NO blood supply.

If you're alone and you pass out, you won't be maintaining direct pressure. Then you're dead.

If you do use a tourniquet on yourself, be sure to mark your forehead with a "T" (using marker or your own blood if you have to) to make it more likely that any rescuers and ER doctors are aware that you have a tourniquet in place.

The admonishment not to use a tourniquet really only applies authoritatively to situations in which help is far enough away that limb loss is very likely. And as was mentioned in the active first aid thread in the Practical Tactical section, a tourniquet can be very helpful in stopping bleeding until an effective pressure dressing can be applied, and then the tourniquet is slowly loosened.

Check out Quikclot and the Z-Medica sites for an interesting alternative. It's usable even where a tourniquet wouldn't be (such as the femoral artery too high on the leg to fit a tourniquet)

They used to have a video of testing of this stuff on a pig (sedated pig in medical conditions, slashed the femoral artery and poured a pack on, just about instant stabalization) but I can't seem to find it on their site. I'd bet that they got too many complaints. All the same, I bought a pack of this stuff for my bag and pray I never need it.

I am aware of QuikClot. I've been meaning to order some. It does have a couple problems with it, though. It can generate a lot of heat in the reaction (hot enough to easily cause 2nd-degree burns). It can also give one a tendency to think it's going to work like magic, which can be a dangerous mentality if it doesn't work. There have been cases in Iraq that I've read about in which QuikClot did not always stop bleeding. Keep in mind that they dump a bucket of the stuff into the pig in the video, but the packet contains only a little bit. [Edit: Actually, I was thinking of the tiny little packets they were talking about for regular civilian sale. It actually is a military packet they pour into the wound. I hadn't watched the video in quite awhile.] But it's a wonderful product and is definitely worth using on a serious wound.

I have the video you're talking about. If you like, I can upload it to my website for whoever wants it.

If they haven't changed it the recommended use of a tourniquet is to apply and release every 15min to a half hour no longer(I am getting old and memmory does fade).
Lets look at the belt in a different use though depending on the gash and availbale items what would be wrong with removing a piece of clothing and folding it up creating a pressure dressing then applying the belt to hold the pressure dressing in place. I carry a first aid kit in the car but in the evernt if an accident there is no saying you will make it to it an sometimes you have cuts where the special supplies are not available.
How about a long sleeve shirt take the shirt off fold the body around the yoke sectione between the sleeves and use the sleeve to tie off. The fel frre to pass out with the number of your doctor and dry cleaner in your hand for the rescuers to find.

Bodyhammer,

Hemostats are very useful little things... ;)

Cheers,

David

Hemostats are very useful little things...

They certainly are. I always carry one in a cargo pocket. It's not sterile, and it gets a fair amount of utility use, but it's another option.

They take some dexterity to use, though, especially on a wound you can't see into. I still want to be able to put a tourniquet on first.

Ok, I've uploaded the demonstration video for QuikClot here. This file is about 50mb, and I probably don't have to tell you that there's a lot of blood.

Back