Toxic Axe Personality Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is plenty of room on the forums for all kinds of users. But I don't believe in any sacred cows.

Pretty much had my fill of the political correctness in todays society and I would hate to see this forum get to the point where folks can't speak their mind. I would much rather have some heated debates on occasion.

Most of use that have been around here for a while have butted heads on occasion with different opinions. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Man up, put it behind you and move forward.

Some folks are taking it personally when there favorite user gets criticized. The boutique axes from Sweden come to mind. I have a couple that I really love and have had them for a long time. But they are not the best choice for everything. Nothing wrong with pointing that out.

I think there is plenty of room on the forums for all kinds of users. But I don't believe in any sacred cows.

Pretty much had my fill of the political correctness in todays society and I would hate to see this forum get to the point where folks can't speak their mind. I would much rather have some heated debates on occasion.

Most of use that have been around here for a while have butted heads on occasion with different opinions. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Man up, put it behind you and move forward.

Some folks are taking it personally when there favorite user gets criticized. The boutique axes from Sweden come to mind. I have a couple that I really love and have had them for a long time. But they are not the best choice for everything. Nothing wrong with pointing that out.
I'm on board with all of that. I can only speak for myself, but I was personally only referring to the nastiness and taunting insults that were spawned by disagreement.

While I think it's important respect the preferences of others, this forum also has an obligation to educate those who would become educated.

We have frequently seen the newbie arrive all starry-eyed for some expensive import or some tacti-cool breaching tool when what they are really looking for (when questioned) is a small camp axe.

If said newbie is an actual first responder or military member than the breaching tool is what he/she needs advice about. But their real needs aren't always clear from their first post - that's the flaw in the internet. Questioning their actual needs is not disrespectful in any way.

When a new forum member comes asking for advice we need to know if the axe will be used primarily for bushcraft or chopping and splitting. If they are pre-disposed to the incorrect axe for their purposes then they need to be informed of the pros and cons of the various options. To do less is doing them a disservice. The advice just needs to be offered in a constructive way.

Six years ago this forum was primarily about people tying doilies onto their Cold Steel hawks and thinking themselves bladesmiths for the effort. I think this forum is a much more interesting place now.

Last edited:
When offering contrasting opinions it's best not to quote another user and refute their post point by point. That's useless and boring as hell. Just state your own opinion and add whatever facts you have to the discussion.

Post contradicting opinions all you want. Just don't let it get personal. That's never helpful.

I'm on board with all of that. I can only speak for myself, but I was personally only referring to the nastiness and taunting insults that were spawned by disagreement.
I have also been guilty of that on occasion. Its not a good look and you know what they say about an arrow once sent. I am less than perfect and I know it.

I guess things will on occasion get out of hand when guys are talking about subjects they are passionate about. Hopefully all parties can put that behind them and not carry it on to the next thread and pollute the board with vendetta's, get backs and personal attacks that no one is here to read.

I get a kick out of the personalities here. For the most part I get the vibe of regular posters and enjoy the banter. I even like being told I could be wrong and someone showing me how they do something – often better/more efficient than I could have realized even through trial and error – and that is cool. Might sometimes be the other way around but I keep in mind I didn’t invent it…

I’m also under the impression that Bladeforums is read by a larger group than just the people that post here.

I get links back here when I google even remotely axe related stuff. Now multiply that times the huge number of blade-related queries coming from others.

Our last forum set-up had a running tab at the bottom that showed exactly where members were. You could maybe account for another third of that being members with their status turned off/logged out but viewing. The largest portion of the numbers weren’t even members I imagine. Regardless of the algebra, I haven’t really come across anywhere else that has the collection of axe nuts, resources, and volume of pictures. Have you?

The Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet forum is located at the top when you at the forum home page.

When, whatever the current argument it is, takes over the forum and two guys just keep coming at each other and you, or a driveby drop-in, lands here you see it as detectable spattered across the top ten posts.

That qualifies as self-centered. I guess there are other ways to look at it... right?

http://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/

3. Don't register gimmick or troll accounts

If your purpose is to troll the forums or otherwise post as a gimmick, we'll ban both the offending profile & your main one.

4. Restrict flamewars & bad behavior to W&C and other "approved" areas

Those forums are the only "anything goes" areas of this site, so don't let the behavior leak out. Conversely, if you don't want to be offended or insulted, stay out of there.

One of those is straight forward and one isn’t up to you to define.

So, as far as supervisors go,

You don’t need one until you do.

This is the "Axe, Hatchet, and Tomahawk" sub-forum. That covers a tremendous amount of territory in history, usage, and design. My own little segment of the ax world these days (because I have forged light camp axes with hickory handles in the past, and grew up using an ax for brush clearing and processing fuel for the wood stove that kept me warm in the winter time) is tactical tomahawks, particularly full tang 'hawks, intended for actual carry by military, LEO, and first responders.

Surely what would help here is a sub sub-forum or a split into two or even three seperate sections, and one being for tactical stuff?

Imagine if all the knife sub forums were merged in a single forum like this one, that'd make for some interesting reading.

Last edited:
I’m also under the impression that Bladeforums is read by a larger group than just the people that post here.
I get links back here when I google even remotely axe related stuff. Now multiply that times the huge number of blade-related queries coming from others.

It wasn't very long ago that forum queries and discussion exposed the existence of rafting/miner/construction-specific hard poll axes. Used to be the general public was unaware of these gems but good luck trying to find one (that isn't identified as such) cheap on fleabay now. It was only a couple of years ago that Plumb nationals were referred to as cedar axes. Thanks to BF that's been fixed too.

1. You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.
  2. You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
  3. You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
  4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
~Daniel Dennett, "Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking"

Good advice, but difficult to implement even partially.
A good example is Dennett himself. ;)
One should still try though...

When offering contrasting opinions it's best not to quote another user and refute their post point by point. That's useless and boring as hell. Just state your own opinion and add whatever facts you have to the discussion.

Post contradicting opinions all you want. Just don't let it get personal. That's never helpful.

I have been guilty of the point-by-point responses quite a few times (too many times?).:D

Still, on the Axe Forum there is nothing recently here even approaching that "meticulous" debating "style" compared to what was quite widespread about 12-15 years ago (the posts of Cliff Stamp and Sharp Phil come to my mind as prime examples). I can't say I myself miss those point-by-point, back-and-forth debates, but they were quite frequently entertaining, and one could learn a lot even from those threads.
The nastiness for sure would pop up in those threads, since not everyone likes the "baroque" mega-threads and mega-answers, and many members preferring it "short and succinct" would get ticked off and turned off. Thankfully, this is quite rare here nowadays...

Last edited:
Six years ago this forum was primarily about people tying doilies onto their Cold Steel hawks and thinking themselves bladesmiths for the effort. I think this forum is a much more interesting place now.

This forums is a very interesting place now, in the last 5 years or so.
Maybe this is the best period in the history of this forum so far, thanks to the great gathering of people with knowledge and experience. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :)

There were good periods in the past too, around 2002-2004 with enthusiastic and nice members setting the tone (Old Jimbo for example).

I feel lucky that I have been and am still around and feel like an awed child sitting at the feet of wise adults. :)

Surely what would help here is a sub sub-forum or a split into two or even three seperate sections, and one being for tactical stuff?

Imagine if all the knife sub forums were merged in a single forum like this one, that'd make for some interesting reading.

Until now I wouldn't have thought it was necessary. Honestly, ISS - wait that doesn't work... I'mSoSharp, that really is a pro-active approach to conflict resolution.

That isn't a bad idea but doesn't solve the "jerk" factor that comes through though..

Until then we have to address Storm Crow's post because he spoke up not only for himself but for quite a few others as well. I've contacted and been contacted by several Tomahawk guys who have posted and feel the same thing. Guys who create stuff you and I can't/haven't/or maybe even couldn't with tenacity, practice, or developed to create should think the same thing..

Tomahawk guys are run out and no matter how you regard the tool/weapon - it is a brother to the axe and has validity. That really is enough right there to save our "traditional is best" posts for us.

We know what "we" like - I'm addressing the regular posters. Some of you- I think of as experts in the subject and your back stories and the one's of your tools are fascinating, by the way. I personally can't equal the skill of the fore fathers but I really strive to work towards it in my own way.

@Storm Crow isn't the only one to think this and voice this. I don't care if you hand forge or run a CNC machine.

There is a place designated for all three of these in BladeForums - this sub-forum.

How would you define a group of people making sure (intentionally or not) that a subset of a subset of interests/people were met with belittlement and subsequently feel like they can't post? This is, of course, as intentional in some cases, and not in others. You "Intentionals"? Explain your reasoning or just stick to what you (and me) like - traditional patterns. If you need to twist open a combo lock or take a steel door - I personally don't thing my TT boy's axe will match up to the task.

You can complain if you want, in fact, call me out if I am wrong.

Think about the people you intentionally interact with in real life. Anyone keen to stand around a fire with someone who can easily find others to trash your take on something and gang on ya? How many of you would stand and watch it happen? No? Maybe once, but the next time?

There is no back strong enough or advice "safe" enough to dismiss another guy's questions or interests.

If that is you? Then post whatever garbage you want but remember that "stick" you are jabbing with?*

*It might just be sharpened on both ends.

Last edited:
This forums is a very interesting place now, in the last 5 years or so.
Maybe this is the best period in the history of this forum so far, thanks to the great gathering of people with knowledge and experience. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :)

There were good periods in the past too, around 2002-2004 with enthusiastic and nice members setting the tone (Old Jimbo for example).

I feel lucky that I have been and am still around and feel like an awed child sitting at the feet of wise adults. :)

Likewise.

I came to this forum thinking i was hot shit. I wasn't. I joined axe junkies thinking i was hot shit. I wasn't. Probably almost got banned from this site and did get banned from axe junkies.

At this point i realized I'm terrible at this craft.

I humbled myself and begged roster for forgiveness. I went back to cutting handles from factory junk and realized that my arrogance prevented me from learning how to cut real profiles. Now i quietly perfect my craft.

I came to this forum thinking i was hot shit. I wasn't. I joined axe junkies thinking i was hot shit. I wasn't. Probably almost got banned from this site and did get banned from axe junkies.

At this point i realized I'm terrible at this craft.

I humbled myself and begged roster for forgiveness. I went back to cutting handles from factory junk and realized that my arrogance prevented me from learning how to cut real profiles. Now i quietly perfect my craft.
Takes a real Man to admit that. We all have to take a slice of humbleberry pie every once in while.
Much respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back