Traditional and Modern pairings

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by lobodelanoche, Aug 5, 2012.

1. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Double tap oops :eek:

2. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
  3. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    mnandiscout.jpg
    CRK Mnandi in Box Elder Burl and Case Jr. Scout in amber jigged bone

4. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Wow! You really dressed that Spyderco up nicely. :cool::thumbsup:

Can't beat a Delica, I carried one for years and years when I was roping and working on ranches.

6. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks John.:) Yeah the Caribbean's been a great knife. LC200N is quite similar to a good carbon steel in terms of ease of sharpening and ability to take a very fine edge, with the bonus of being rustproof. I had to dye the bumblebee scales though. I'm sure they work well for maximising underwater visibility, but I didn't need that colour scheme for my uses.

That's interesting about the Delica. I'm always keen to hear about the knife choices of people who really have to use them a lot for their work.

I carried a Delica for a couple of years - excellent knife, an all time classic.:thumbsup::cool:

Leslie Tomville and redsparrow like this.
  7. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    We are talking quite a few years back.
    I needed a one hand opening knife for those roping emergencies or grabbing horses with one hand and cutting them loose with the other. The Spyderco Delica was quite common in a lot of cowboys' pockets for just that reason.

Leslie Tomville, Lee D and redsparrow like this.
  8. matfox

matfox Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Pair of micarta today.

[​IMG]

9. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I don't carry a modern knife very often, but I do carry one every-once-in-a-while.
    Mostly I carry them on occasions where most of the traditional guys would carry a fixed blade.
    Those times when you know you might need something more secure than your typical pocket knife.
    For instance, when I go four wheeling or camping, and I might run into chores where a locking blade would be handy.
    Because these knives are mostly carried and seldom used, their main priority is to go un-noticed while riding in the pocket.
    For this type of duty, I have really been in love with the Benchmade Bugout. It is absolutely invisible in the pocket until it may be needed.
    The one thing that bugged me (pun intended) was the shiny gold thumb stud. I cured that with some black paint. It now looks like worn brass.

[​IMG]

10. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
  11. Spaten

Spaten Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Quality tools all around in that picture!

12. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Not a pairing but a Bill Duff (RIP) tripling:No dot Buck 110 from early 70s when Bill was a foreman at Buck; Bill left Buck along with Don Collum to start Rigid Knives, Rigid Apache from late 70s/early 80s; Bill sold his stake in Rigid in late 80s to focus on custom work, a lovely little liner lock gentleman’s knife with mosaic Damascus bolster and incredible file work on spine...all three in 440C upload_2020-6-4_10-26-50.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  13. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Really digging this pairing...perfect for my Friday:D

[​IMG]

14. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Two-handed knife? :D

WValtakis likes this.
  15. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    And that's the mid-size one:eek:

16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    :D:thumbsup:

17. mitch13

mitch13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Basic black
    [​IMG]

18. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
  19. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    sgcase.jpg
    Southern Grind Spider Monkey and Case Medium Stockman CV with punch

-Brett

jwb01, Bastler, Crazy Canuck and 8 others like this.