Traditional and Modern pairings

Here is the emerson I gave him about a bunch of years back. Of course I reprofiled it and gave it a V cutting edge. Couldn't give dad a knife that didn't cut well :)

SU1HLTIwMTIwMjE0LTAwNzk2LmpwZw.jpg

His 85 he keeps in his truck that he works out of everyday and it looks just like mine but new. He coats it with RenWax about once a month. I have only had to sharpen it for him once so far.

Since it looks just like mine did new I will use this pic as a reference

SU1HLTIwMTIwMjIxLTAwODI2LmpwZw-1.jpg

Cheers.

Those are both lovely, Gary.

Thanks Doug.

Thanks Gary. You kept saying button lock and I always wondered what it was.

Its funny, my dad who is also 62 carries the ebony 85 I gave him and also an Emerson 13. He likes to have both and he beats on the Emerson a lot and keeps the 85 nicer. I gave him both so cost didn't have an impact :)

Us old guys know what works. ;)

Gary, what's the significance of Tom Brown?

Ben

Ben,
The knife was a collaboration between William Henry and Tom Brown, who ran or runs a fairly well known tracking and survival school. The coyote paw print is his logo. They called the knife the Quest. It's a pretty substantial knife and has served me well.

The Joel Chamblin WT is just the tool for the lighter duty tasks and in situations where a 7 1/2" OAL folder might raise eyebrows. Plus I love the stag ....

I always carry my Vic Executive. I consider it a traditional knife, since it's a 'lobster pattern' pen knife.

For my one-hander, at work I use a Tasman Salt. Other times, I often carry my Umnumzaan.

At home, I get a lot of use out of my Vic Soldier.

*edit to add:
My fave non-SAK traditional is my Case Pocketworn Canoe. Not only does it cut extremely well, but it carries nicely with rounded corners and slim profile.

Jim

Last edited:
I just started carrying an izula and case scout knife together. Ive had the Case since I was 12, but just fell in love with it again and it replaced a berretta oho folder in my pocket. The Izzy just arrived yesterday.

My CRKT M16 was a bit too tacticool for me so I took the corner off of the tanto and had the blade bead blasted. The GEC congress is my most carried slipjoint.

IMG_20120911_111942.jpg

I actually never carry a modern and traditional. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I just feels weird to me. Lol. I guess part of the reason I don't is because I usually don't carry more than one knife.

Just yesterday I was cleaning a very sharp modern and I was distracted and stabbed my thumb to the bone. Anyhow, I couldn't use my thumb much and I decided there is another reason for a lockback.

I have decided to keep my traditional for EDC use, just prefer it, easier to sharpen, love it

Weekend.jpg

BUT, I decided to add my "mountain biking camelbak knife" as a sidekick. Only for emergencies.

SU1HLTIwMTIxMDE0LTAwMTA3LmpwZw.jpg

Kevin

My most common pairing:
a pair of Bucks in 420HC and S30V, the best of both worlds.

011.jpg

Thanks Gevonovich. Its fine. It went deep into the part of ur thumb that looks like a drumbstick of chicken near the palm. Hit bone hard. Its getting better. Didn't want to throw the thread off topic, but I did want to give my reason for the decision. I'm all good my friend :)

My most common pairing:
a pair of Bucks in 420HC and S30V, the best of both worlds.

011.jpg
Frank, I've been eyeballing the traditional Bucks lately. Have you found it a solid performer as a smaller pocket knife? I am more inclined towawrds the medium sized pocketknives, similar in size and weight to the GEC 62 I have.

This is my current set up. The slipjoint gets switched out. Sometimes for a #72 lockback, other times for a Tim Britton handmade.

Today it's my Queen Gunstock with engraved bolsters. This gets carried in the nice Pocketknife sheath that I bought from Al here on the forums. (love that sheath)
It's modern companion is a Mcusta Tactility with black Micarta scales. Best edge I've seen on a factory knife so far from the box.

2012-10-17160733_zpsdc3fc65b.jpg

My first post was not along thread lines, so I will get off my duff tomorrow and update it again with a pairing I sometimes use. Don't have a picture tonight though.

Ed J

Last edited:
I know the original question was about carrying both a traditional and modern knife, which I rarely do, as I noted in my previous response. Looking back over the various responses got me thinking about the different approaches a traditional and a modern implement take to basically the same task.

The blades on my modern Kershaw Leek and my quite old Camillus equal end do the same thing, they cut.

traditionalmodernb.jpg

The packaging and materials are certainly different, and the way the blades are deployed is different. But when it comes right down to it, they are both cutting implements, and they both perform that task admirably.

traditionalmoderna.jpg

This is not unlike my 1927 Sheaffer Flat Top and my recent production Visconti Skeleton fountain pens. Different design approach, different materials and packaging, different method for holding ink and getting it from the bottle into the pen. But when it comes right down to it, they are both writing implements, and they both perform that task admirably.

traditionalmodernc.jpg

There is something to be said for the historical value, and the longevity of the Camillus and Sheaffer. Who knows? The Kershaw and Visconti may be working generations after my body is dust in the ground, but I do enjoy using knives and pens that have been in the hands of others for several decades. The Sheaffer was purchased new by the grandfather of a friend of mine, and it is one of the finest writing pens I have ever used.

And there is that intangible aesthetic feel that accompanies the Camillus and Sheaffer when I use them that the Kershaw and Visconti simply cannot match. Nothing quite like holding old jigged bone in your hand while cutting, or an ebonite grip section while writing!

Back