Traditional and Modern pairings

^ which is the traditional and why, Frank?

My latest pair is my 1890 opinel and s110v spyderco manix 2 :)

Here's an interesting combination.

The split handle design was actually used by European cutlers in the 1800's. I've seen pictures of examples. In the 1960's/1970's Hackman produced what was marketed as a "folding Puuckko" knife. I bought one and enjoyed carrying it because it really was close to carrying a folding fixed blade. Nowadays, it counts as a "balisong" and I cannot carry it.

Enter Cold Steel. They appreciated the same strength that I did and found a way to make a split handle design which was legal to carry. They did that by putting a spring on each part of the handle. It cannot be flipped open. It can't even be opened one-handed. Behold the "Black Rock Hunter". No longer made. I think not enough people shared my appreciation for the absoluteness of the "lock". It absolutely cannot fail. But I think it makes and interesting combination of a modern adaptation of a traditional pattern.

2015-05-17%2015.21.23_zps8kyvksmc.jpg

2015-05-17%2015.20.52_zpsg5b3e2nk.jpg

2015-05-17%2015.19.46_zpsfdp6gagp.jpg
Always like seeing these!

^ which is the traditional and why, Frank?

The Hackman is actually a traditional design.
Why? Because split handle knives have been made by European cutlers for over 150 years. Not a common pattern, but I have seen them in the Levine Forum. My family had a couple of split handled knives when I was growing up which easily predated the initial release of the Buck 110 . Those knives were very similar in design to the Hackman.

The Cold Steel is the modern
Why?Because they put a spring on each handle segment to hold it closed so that it could not be opened without the use of both hands.

Edited to add:
Here is a post showing one from a 1920's KaBar catalog
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...rfly-knife-what-is-it?p=13243230#post13243230

Here is a thread from Levine's forum trying to identify a split handle knife made in ~1910
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1204053-Need-help-identifying-this-knife

Last edited:
Dave, I think the 78 is one of GEC's most under rated knives. Wow, I'd be proud to carry that pair. Very nice. Gotta love that long pull.

Why? Because split handle knives have been made by European cutlers for over 150 years. Not a common pattern, but I have seen them in the Levine Forum. My family had a couple of split handled knives when I was growing up which easily predated the initial release of the Buck 110 . Those knives were very similar in design to the Hackman.

Why?Because they put a spring on each handle segment to hold it closed so that it could not be opened without the use of both hands.

Edited to add:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...rfly-knife-what-is-it?p=13243230#post13243230

Here is a thread from Levine's forum trying to identify a split handle knife made in ~1910
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1204053-Need-help-identifying-this-knife

Fascinating

Edited to add:

And all this time I thought they came out of 1980s action movies!

Thanks for that little history lesson!

This is the group I go for if I have nasty, dirty, abusive cutting to do. The trapper has been everywhere with me, rode on my belt for months at a time, has my initials carved on the opposite bolster side, and has had the bevels considerably thinned down to straight-razors. The SAK is an older one, with the machine-finished tools and brass liners, and does everything that the trapper can't. Finally, the Spyderco is one of the best work knives I have ever encountered. Weighs nothing, has a very strong lock, one of the most wear-resistant steels on the market in S110V, and comes in around $100 or less. I am first and foremost a traditional knives enthusiast, but this Spyderco has every quality that one wants in a work knife that cannot be satisfied in the traditional world. I hope they never discontinue it.

FullSizeRender_zps5fo3haq3.jpg

I like small knives but these two pretty much cancel each other out.

JO0KOn0l.jpg

So i like to go with this pairing, there is not much the Manbug wont have a go at but when it is to much the #15 steps in.

gwwNAnfl.jpg

I recently received this book from a friend...

IMG_7935.jpg~original

... and was looking through it when this page caught my eye:

IMG_7932.jpg~original

"Ah! That's what Frank has," said I aloud.

And here it is:

-- Thank you for the interesting pairing, Frank, and the further information. :thumbup:

~ P.

Thanks for that, Sarah. As always you have gone the extra mile to dig up added interesting information.

I'd heard the rumor of the CIA buying them. (Of course, I have also heard that the rumor is not true.)
Being that the procuring agency was the CIA, I'm guessing that we will never know for sure.

Emerson CQC 12 half serrated and a Case CV Trapper. I really like the CV steel because I use my knife several times a day at work. It sharpens back up like a champ. I just ordered a GEC in 1095. I'm hoping it performs as well as the CV Case models do. I'll pair it with an Emerson Protech auto that I also just ordered. Right now the 12 just gets used when I need serrations.

Back