Traditional folders and watches/timepieces

My great-great grandfather, Pleasant Calloway Ferguson, 1826 - 1907, was a private in the CSA during the Civil War. Hint … never name your child after an emotion as they will sure turn out the opposite. "Meaner than a junk yard dog" according to neighbors. After serving two years he came home on a furlough at which time my great-great grandmother got pregnant with their seventh child. He returned to war. She died one month after giving birth, more than likely complications of childbirth. Pleasant wasn't allowed to come home for the death of his wife as he had recently been home. Six months later Pleasant was captured during the battle of Hatcher's Run VA 3/31/1865 and confined 4/3/1865 at Point Lookout, MD until he took the Oath of Allegiance 6/26/1865 at Point Lookout, MD. Pleasant was then allowed to return home. During this time, my 13-15 year old great-grandfather John Franklin Ferguson (the oldest of seven), ran the farm, family, and oversaw 100 sharecroppers. Pleasant came home screwed up from the war, POW, loss of wife, etc. John Franklin had gotten sweet on a neighbor, Clarentine, 10 years his senior, who helped John Franklin with the kids and other "things". But when Pleasant returned, he decided he wanted Clarentine for himself. During a fight in the corn bin over Clarentine, John Franklin wacked Pleasant with an ear of corn. That was the last straw, Pleasant promptly kicked John Franklin off the property with nothing but the clothes on his back and forbade him to ever return. He left and never returned. 15 year old John Franklin Ferguson traveled from North Carolina to Texas, the trip took him a full year. The Civil War had torn apart another family. John Franklin was disowned, left $1 in Pleasant's will, as was his sister for simply helping John Franklin when he left. John's first winter in Texas he lived in his wagon turned upside down. How he survived can only be a testament to his toughness. Plowed cotton crops with an ox and bartered that cotton for this Waltham pocket watch and case in 1893. Later he became a Baptist preacher and Mason, owned a small country store that went under during the depression, then reopened a few years later when the economy would support it. John Franklin passed before I was born but somehow I became the caretaker of his pride and joy. Among the six children he had, can only speculate why my grandfather inherited it. My grandfather was blinded in one eye during an at home birth, and John Franklin probably felt sorry for him, more than the others. Why my Dad got it over his two older brothers is not a mystery, my grandparents felt like they never did much to help him as he lived in the next state. The day they gave it to my Dad is documented by a one page note written that day by my mother. The note sounds like my Grandmother talks, can still hear her voice when I read it. True they didn't help my dad, they couldn't. They defined poor, if they didn't grow it, they didn't eat it. My Dad got his first pair of hand me down shoes when he went to first grade, got an eighth grade education, then lied about his age to get in the Navy in WWII. This is his dog tag. The TC is my main squeeze, the submariner goes on in the morning and off at bedtime, yardwork, gym, swimming, etc. Surprising how I can beat on a 13K watch but take great care when using a hundred dollar knife. Guess I know the watch is only headed to my son someday, wearing my patina, to go along with great-grandfather's pride and joy.

Peregrin Peregrin thanks for inspiring me to share this.

familywatches1.jpg

Great story; thanks for sharing. Beautiful watches and gorgeous knife - and awesome picture.

A Hamilton mechanical wind that LL Bean used to sell, given to me when I was in college in the early 70's. I've had the crystal replaced twice and had it cleaned once. Still keeps reasonably fair time.

txbMpuP.jpg

Last edited:
A Hamilton mechanical wind that LL Bean used to sell, given to me when I was in college in the early 70's. I've had the crystal replaced twice and had it cleaned once. Still keeps reasonably fair time.

txbMpuP.jpg

I have a similar pocket watch. I got mine at an antique store in Franklin TN. Got it for a great price and after a professional cleaning, it keeps time like a champ (when i wind it, that is).

View attachment 956382

neat! i love pocket watches, ive always loved tiny mechanical machines. i even take mine apart sometimes and have built and restored some pocketwatches. some would call it cobbling and frankenwatches tho

I had this Wenger 095-0674 Swiss Military diver for years, putting it through the salt water wringer with fishing, duck hunting, and swimming. One day, a spring bar gave way and I lost part of the metal link band. I put it in my dresser and forgot about it until looking for some knives in that drawer recently. Put in a new battery, new spring bars, and a new nylon NATO/G10 strap (right color for deer and upland bird hunting, also got a tan one). I've reversed the direction of the band since taking this picture this morning (after trying both directions to see which I liked). I feel better about bringing an unused watch back into use. About time, right?

s5pOLvg.jpg

- Stuart

I like "good" cheap watches. I only have 2. My Seiko 5 I've had for about 7 years and has kept great time. Lately, it started running a little fast every once in a while, maybe 5 minutes fast a week. Started to look at other watches and then it started keeping great time again so I quit looking. I think it was around $50 when I bought it new. My other watch is a Casio g-shock that I use for running. Started running a couple of 5k s year to stay in shape(space them out every 6 months to give me a goal to stay in shape all year)and between the digital watch and my step counter, I can roughly figure out my pace and know about where I am at for a given time. I think they have watches that figure all of that out, but the g- shock and step counter combo are about as high tech as I can get. OP Gary, I like the looks of your Casio.

I had this Wenger 095-0674 Swiss Military diver for years, putting it through the salt water wringer with fishing, duck hunting, and swimming. One day, a spring bar gave way and I lost part of the metal link band. I put it in my dresser and forgot about it until looking for some knives in that drawer recently. Put in a new battery, new spring bars, and a new nylon NATO/G10 strap (right color for deer and upland bird hunting, also got a tan one). I've reversed the direction of the band since taking this picture this morning (after trying both directions to see which I liked). I feel better about bringing an unused watch back into use. About time, right?

s5pOLvg.jpg

- Stuart
I just wanna say I love everything this picture! and orange isn’t even my favorite color.

Diamond Edge and Benrus chronograph

14340751877_95c3c425f4_b.jpg

Wonderful Chrono there Gev, beautiful piece. Can you say how old it is please?

Treasure trove of stuff on this thread, not surprising! I like watches but never had anything posh. I have my father's watch which is a modest Swiss Roamer, he never wore a watch until he was over 50. My grandfather never had a watch either but could tell the time within 2 minutes at any time, apparently. I have an early Seiko quartz that is 40 years old, unfashionably thin and minimalist, had the glass replaced and it keeps absolutely amazing time - the Japanese really do make stuff that lasts, like a Casio solar powered calculator I have, the only one I've ever had to own and that's near 40 too :D:cool:

Wonderful Chrono there Gev, beautiful piece. Can you say how old it is please?

Treasure trove of stuff on this thread, not surprising! I like watches but never had anything posh. I have my father's watch which is a modest Swiss Roamer, he never wore a watch until he was over 50. My grandfather never had a watch either but could tell the time within 2 minutes at any time, apparently. I have an early Seiko quartz that is 40 years old, unfashionably thin and minimalist, had the glass replaced and it keeps absolutely amazing time - the Japanese really do make stuff that lasts, like a Casio solar powered calculator I have, the only one I've ever had to own and that's near 40 too :D:cool:

It's from the late 1940s to 1950's. It was one of or the most complicated pieces Benrus made. 17 jewels CE- 13 movement. I think they were made from late 1940s - 59.

It's time you got one ! Watch the big auction site. I think I paid 20 dollars for that one :eek: I don't pay much for them cause you never know how long they will run. I got really lucky with that one...still running strong and like a top ten years later. I put a new band on it and it looks so fine !!!

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/BENRUS.html

Last edited:
Back