Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

GEC #15 and Colt Detective Special
Fancy stuff here.
S&W 15 and a S&M checkered pearl split back whittler.
Crappy picture, cant see the beautiful checkering on that pearl..
Gotta love k frames with magna grips and Tyler T grip adapters.

Last edited:
GEC #15 and Colt Detective Special

HG5ln5Q.jpg
Those two go well together

Hey what does that boomstick weigh? Have toyed with the idea of picking up something similar to hunt with but am afraid to commit to carrying anything too heavy in the high country…nice piece. Very nice. I’ve wanted to dump some money on a long term deposit for a custom sharps for years but have yet to pull the trigger. Love the knife too.

This is a modern Shilo Sharps 45/70 Made right down the road a piece!
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg
Hey what does that boomstick weigh? Have toyed with the idea of picking up something similar to hunt with but am afraid to commit to carrying anything too heavy in the high country…nice piece. Very nice. I’ve wanted to dump some money on a long term deposit for a custom sharps for years but have yet to pull the trigger. Love the knife too.
The Shilo comes in at 11 pounds according to my bathroom scale! 😏 The Original comes in at 8 pounds!

Dave

I'm a big fan of Uberti reproductions, made in Italy! Both rifles and handguns. When I go up in the mountains both firearms I pack are .45 LC that way I just need one size ammunition! 😊
This 1866 model was the 1st Uberti that I acquired, 15 rounds in the tube and one chambered!
When they 1st came out with this model it only came in the original caliber.... 44/40 which i didn't want at ALL! But after a few months Uberti produced this caliber! 😎
IMG_3091.jpg
IMG_3092.jpg

Dave

This 1866 model was the 1st Uberti that I acquired, 15 rounds in the tube and one chambered!
When they 1st came out with this model it only came in the original caliber.... 44/40
Original caliber of the Henry and the improved Model 66/1866 was .44 Henry Rimfire.

.44-40 came out in November or December, 1873, a few months after the .47-70. (best I've been able to narrow down the .45-70 for Civilian sale/use is sometime between March and May, 1873.)

Both the .44-40 and .45-70 are the longest continuously produced center-fire handgun and rifle cartridges respectively.
Neither have been dropped from production since they were introduced.
.45-70 cartridges were made even during the 60-70 year period when the only new rifles for it were custom rifles, which includes the WW1 and WW2 years, when hundreds of cartridges were dropped from production during each war. (Most, if not all of which, are still not made.)

The first Winchester chambered at the factory for .44-40 was the model 73/1873, that first shipped from the warehouse in late December, 1873/Early January, 1874. That's the earliest I've found that Winchester had "warehouse stock" of the model 73.
Post 1873/1874 manufactur Model 66/1866 Winchester were available in .44-40 and the original .44 Rimfire.
The Henry was dropped from production in 1866. None of the original Henry's were made in .44-40. Only the modern reproductions.
(So if anyone tries to sell you an "original" 1860's Henry rifle that's chambered for .44-40, it's a modern reproduction. You can "take that to the bank" and save a few bucks.)

Last edited:
Kind of hokey cover but I have found this a great source of researched data on both the arms and the cartridges used in the west between the Gold Rush and WWI.View attachment 1653957
I'm not 100% sure, but Mr. Markham may be one of the gentlemen I exchanged letters with, when I researched the cartridges back in the dark pre-Internet days.
Name sounds very familiar, at any rate. I know I reached out to at least 30 authorities over the years back then.

Jer, the barrel and cylinder rotate to the right to expose the chamber.
The Buck was introduced in 2017 and only offered for a few years.
Ruger made the similar Hawkeye back in the 60s, single shot with rotating “cylinder” chambered in .256 Win Mag that looked to the world like a single action revolver (i.e., six shooter).

Original caliber of the Henry and the improved Model 66/1866 was .44 Henry Rimfire.

.44-40 came out in November or December, 1873, a few months after the .47-70. (best I've been able to narrow down the .45-70 for Civilian sale/use is sometime between March and May, 1873.)

Both the .44-40 and .45-70 are the longest continuously produced center-fire handgun and rifle cartridges respectively.
Neither have been dropped from production since they were introduced.
.45-70 cartridges were made even during the 60-70 year period when the only new rifles for it were custom rifles, which includes the WW1 and WW2 years, when hundreds of cartridges were dropped from production during each war. (Most, if not all of which, are still not made.)

The first Winchester chambered at the factory for .44-40 was the model 73/1873, that first shipped from the warehouse in late December, 1873/Early January, 1874. That's the earliest I've found that Winchester had "warehouse stock" of the model 73.
Post 1873/1874 manufactur Model 66/1866 Winchester were available in .44-40 and the original .44 Rimfire.
The Henry was dropped from production in 1866. None of the original Henry's were made in .44-40. Only the modern reproductions.
(So if anyone tries to sell you an "original" 1860's Henry rifle that's chambered for .44-40, it's a modern reproduction. You can "take that to the bank" and save a few bucks.)

Good info. :thumbsup:

The .44 henry rimfire was a 200 or 216 grain bullet that went around 1100 FPS out of a henry, ballistics easily obtained (and easily superseded) out of a handgun these days. It had the usual rainbow shaped trajectory like other large and slow moving black powder cartridges. The scene in lonesome dove where Gus shoots one of the scalpers from a couple hundred yards away with his henry is a really good example of how the rifle and cartridge worked, and was an impressive shot.

Back