traditional knife sightings in the city....

Nope, sorry. I have an Ulster scout and a Camillus cub sitting below my monitor at work. The two big bosses were looking at them one day and asked about them. I just said people give knives to me occasionally and that was it.There was one guy in the department that thought I was a sicko or something.Asked me if I was going to go postal or something. I told him they were scout knives and try not to be afraid. He shut up after that.

Living in Mass myself I have found that I always have to be careful about using even the smallest and most innocent looking knives. A Vic classic is considered a "concealed weapon".

Back to the main topic, I have often heard that the trapper pattern was and is very highly regarded by those who work aroud cattle and horses. In fact, in the first Case catalog (1967) that had names or purposes shown for some of the pocket knife patterns, both the classic 54 pattern full size trapper and the 048 slim trapper were shown as "stockman's" knives.

As to belt sheaths even for the smaller stockman patterns, it would seem that if a guy is riding a horse, any bulk in a pocket would be uncomfortable, as would trying to dig into a pocket while on a horse...just speculating.

In Massachussetts everyone seems to have a Wave strapped to their belt. There's not many sheeple around and the people that carry knives are usuallly stockmans or some sort of modern linerlock with a clip. There was one insident where a guy in my department who carries a 110 got stopped by the security guard because someone complained he was carrying a big weapon. The guard took it out, looked at the blade and thanked him and gave it back. The blade was smaller than the palm of her hand, hence it was legal to carry.

I was fishing with my buddy at the State Pier in Gloucester Mass. a couple of years ago. I would say that just about everybody on the pier had a locking folder in their pants pocket, including me and my buddy. I know Mass. has alot of knife lovers there.

Last edited:
I was fishing with my buddy at the State Pier in Gloucester Mass. a couple of years ago. I would say that just about everybody on the pier had a locking folder in their pants pocket, including me and my buddy. For a place(Mass.) where alot of people think everyone is a liberal gun/knife hater, I sure wouldn't know it that day. I know Mass. has alot of hunters too. There are just a bunch of nit wit liberals who get laws passed, that are not generally enforced. I do not know why this is, because many people don't support these foolish ideas.

In the early 1980's a friend and I from Florida took a trip to visit another mutual pal from our military days for an early Thanksgiving Holiday with his family, and we spent some time in a very cool Wildlife Management Area. All the folks in our camp(and others too) back then were carrying all kinds of knives, and firearms of all types, and we had a grand time up there with them all!:thumbup:

I was fishing with my buddy at the State Pier in Gloucester Mass. a couple of years ago. I would say that just about everybody on the pier had a locking folder in their pants pocket, including me and my buddy. For a place(Mass.) where alot of people think everyone is a liberal gun/knife hater, I sure wouldn't know it that day. I know Mass. has alot of hunters too. There are just a bunch of nit wit liberals who get laws passed, that are not generally enforced. I do not know why this is, because many people don't support these foolish ideas.

If I had a sheath knife I would probably use it camping whe we go up in N.H.
There's two guys in my department of around 70 who collect knives, and a few others scattered about the company.All techs and a few engineers carry waves. Many people carry pocketknives from small saks to regular stockmans to Buck 110's.
In manufacturing there are quite a few portugese people and the men and women pull out knives to eat theit fruit at lunch.Maybe it's area or company politics?

I designed a mini trapper, and had Al Crenshaw from Oklahoma, make it for me in his style. It is made with ats-34 steel. It has black lip pearl scales and nickle silver fittings. I have a two blade large muskrat with stag handle, also made by him. I did not design that one though. I love traditional slipjoint knives. They are so beautiful in function and design. There is nothing better, in my opinion than a finely made jacknife.

This is in the suburbs rather than the city, but still made me think of this thread when it happened. I was in the drugstore yesterday and saw one of the employees using a stockman while opening up some boxes to stock the shelves. I glanced at it quickly when he laid it down to grab another box. Had a matchstriker pull on the main blade, looked like a Bulldog or maybe an Eye Brand. So much nicer to use that than some cheap, faceless boxcutter.

This is in the suburbs rather than the city, but still made me think of this thread when it happened. I was in the drugstore yesterday and saw one of the employees using a stockman while opening up some boxes to stock the shelves. I glanced at it quickly when he laid it down to grab another box. Had a matchstriker pull on the main blade, looked like a Bulldog or maybe an Eye Brand. So much nicer to use that than some cheap, faceless boxcutter.

You should have (perhaps) approached him. You'd have found out what knife it was and he'd learn that he had knife brethren locally who appreciated his choice in cutlery. Nice to hear. :thumbup: :cool:

You should have (perhaps) approached him. You'd have found out what knife it was and he'd learn that he had knife brethren locally who appreciated his choice in cutlery. Nice to hear. :thumbup: :cool:

I might have done that if I hadn't been a bit rushed to get to the PO before it closed. Agreed that it is nice to receive compliments on one's choice of knife. Made my day once when a hostess at a restaurant said she liked my neck knife. :D

Personally, I carry a Trapper in a belt sheath along with a Stockman most every day. I recon I always knew I had a little cowboy in me.. :cool:

000_2163.jpg

That is a sweet lookin setup ya got there Anthony..
Your cowboys in Fl. must be a lot cooler than us out here. I haven't seen anyone lately wearin fancy shades like that :D

That is a sweet lookin setup ya got there Anthony..
Your cowboys in Fl. must be a lot cooler than us out here. I haven't seen anyone lately wearin fancy shades like that :D

Thanks for the complement on my shades, partner. They are official, Bill Dance fishing glasses. Not quite what you would call designer frames and all, but got a heck of bargain on a pair at Wally mart.. :cool:

+ 1 on that, Elliot. I always do this if I have a few minutes to spare. You can find out a lot about folks by checking out their EDC's and offering up your's for them to veiw. I have made quite a few contacts by engaging Lady's and Gent's this way. Drives my wife crazy though hanging out at the local Winn Dixie blocking the whole dawg-gone grocery isle talking about, fishing, hunting, sporting goods accessories, ect.. :D

Back