Traditional Knives and Toys

In honor of my Siamese cat Buster that passed December 8 2016 at the age of 16 gone but never forgotten.
A good friend gave me this a few years prior to his passing and it has so much more meaning now .
fu73lMp.jpg
Beautiful. I know your pain. We lost our Blue Heeler dog of 14 years and out cat of about 10 years all in the same week. That was a bad week. Now we have a 9 week old Blue Heeler puppy that is making a pin cushion out of my arms but our other loyal cat is putting her in her place.

Kevin, the Hornet is lookin' good!

I think these are as close to toys as I get these days. The GREAT Bob Gibson and a repro of the 2004 World Series ring.

STjXLTs.jpg

P.S. If you're not familiar with greatness, look up Gibby's 1968 stats. Other-worldly!
Wasn't Gibson one of the reasons they lowered the mound?

Wasn't Gibson one of the reasons they lowered the mound?
MLB lowered the mound by 5" AND reduced the size of the strike zone in 1969 after several years of declining offense. The offensive decline culminated in 1968 with Gibson and his 1.12 ERA, 28 complete games including 13 shoutouts in 34 starts, and .184 opponents BA. In the AL, Denny McClain won 31 games, the first pitcher with 30 wins in decades. Gibson and McClain were league MVPs. Carl Yastrzemski was the only AL player to hit at least .300 in 1968, winning the batting average title with his .301 BA.

- GT

MLB lowered the mound by 5" AND reduced the size of the strike zone in 1969 after several years of declining offense. The offensive decline culminated in 1968 with Gibson and his 1.12 ERA, 28 complete games including 13 shoutouts in 34 starts, and .184 opponents BA. In the AL, Denny McClain won 31 games, the first pitcher with 30 wins in decades. Gibson and McClain were league MVPs. Carl Yastrzemski was the only AL player to hit at least .300 in 1968, winning the batting average title with his .301 BA.

- GT
And the Tigers, who McClain pitched for, beat the Cards, who Gibson pitched for,
in the 1968 Series.

Gibby lost game 7 to the eventual MVP of the series, Mickey Lolich, when a ball hit to center field was misplayed by the usually great fielder Curt Flood, scoring the game winning runs. Gibson pitched in the 1964 and '67 World Series also, with a combined record of 7-2 in his 9 starts, 8 of which were complete games. He only gave up 55 hits in 81 innings pitched for a cumulative World Series era of 1.89. He also hit 2 homers in those 9 games.

This Tiger fan, 16 years old at the time, was thrilled and felt very fortunate that "we" beat Gibson in that Game 7. It was the first World Series Detroit had been in in my lifetime.

I like to play around with a slide rule sometimes, so I guess it's a toy! :rolleyes:
cadet2.mark.openpen.jpg

- GT

This Tiger fan, 16 years old at the time, was thrilled and felt very fortunate that "we" beat Gibson in that Game 7. It was the first World Series Detroit had been in in my lifetime.

I like to play around with a slide rule sometimes, so I guess it's a toy! :rolleyes:
View attachment 1179313

- GT
Bet you loved the 1984 season too, when the Tigers had a great Gibson too.

Many years ago I tried my hand at building balsa and tissue airplanes. Had a lot of fun with it and did a fair amount of flying (rubber powered), but haven't done it in quite a while. I gave the Schrade (USA) 885UH to my father about 30 years ago after he lost the knife that he had carried for a many years, and I inherited it after he passed away. The blades are a bit scratched up but otherwise it's still in great shape. (I did have to peen out a bend in the tip of the clip blade. My father was very good with his hands and his tools, but sometimes used whatever was handy rather than taking the time to go get the right one.)

48545782282_523457940e_b.jpg

Went digging in the box of memories and treasures from my childhood.
I have this truck since about 7 years old ( more than 4 decades ago ).
I clearly remember pulling it with a string during a long wait at a bus terminal in a northern Argentinian province.
( knife won JohnDF JohnDF GAW :thumbsup: )
Npngmiy.jpg

HkIO3en.jpg

Last edited:
Back