Traditional pocket knives in premium stainless?

At the moment, the A.G. Russell catalog is the only place where I have seen traditional pocket knives in ATS34, and only in the last several months. All other brands, including Camillus, tend to be either 440A (American) or Mystery Stainless (German) or 1095 or some other high carbon steel that will "develop character" if you think damp thoughts around it.

Has Camillus thought about making some traditional folders, like a Stockman or a Barlow, etcetera, in ATS34 or some other premium cutlery stainless steel?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Pretty good idea James!
Although it would be a pretty heavy price incraese over 440A there just might be a market for it.
What type of handle material do you think these high end folders should have?

Here's a sample of what A.G. Russell is having done up in ATS34:
www.agrussell.com/agrussell/ag-116.html

It's a "Muskrat" pattern, $75 in wood or bone, $95 in stag. Nickel-silver bolters.

I like amber bone or stag. Stabilized maple is nice stuff too. And there's nothing wrong with micarta - black or burgundy linen. A stockman in linen micarta and no bolsters and ATS34 would be a nice modern variant.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Hmm if ATS costs too much how about at least stepping up to say AUS8 or even 440C. I will not buy any of the knives from the old guard for the simple reason that the steel used in the blades does not hold an edge. I suspect sales would increase if knives with blades made from higher grades of steel were used. How about a test batch just to see how they sell?

Regards,

Tom Carey

I would be more than willing to shell out the extra$$ for a traditional knife with better steel.someone needs to fill the gap that exhists between the run of the mill case,camillus,schrade and tony bose.

I agree with what has been said above. I do not buy traditional knives because of the mystery or low quality stainless steels available.

I would, for one, love a whittler pattern in some high grade steel. I'm sick of sharpening it every 15 minutes while carving.
Aaron

I have recently acquired an AG Russell Arkansas Toothpick Folder in stag.....been looking for something in that pattern for years. And to find one in ATS34.....wow
Gonna get one of those Muskrats, one day.
Lately ,I have been disposing of most of my tacticals and am looking for quality traditional stuff. Anyone who makes a large whittler in decent materials has got me.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343

Phil, Count my vote in for utilizing premium stainless steels in upcoming Camillus products. Discerning knife buyers ,IMO,willingly pay extra for the performance increase premium steels offer.
I would like to see a 2 bladed Trapper/Stockman style lockback pocket knife(or Spyderco's MiniDyad dual lockback style) in premium stainless. One blade having a saw with double cut teeth as are on my 20 year old Swiss Army knife. That saw will go through a 1 1/2" sapling in seconds. Just what a lost woodsman /soldier would need to cut down for emergency shelter. Short of a large bowie or similar blade, I believe few knives would prove as useful,versatile and compact as the aforementioned 2 blade trapper/stockman lockback (Saw/main blade) in premium stainless and scales (Micarta/G-10/Titanium).Now if ya can get the powers that be at Camillus to consider it before Sal G. reads this.
smile.gif

Stay safe and all the best, Phil <----<

[This message has been edited by Phil Squire (edited 05 February 1999).]

If Camillus made a knife in a 420V or even a ATS-34 for a blade steel, my opinion would change about Camillus. Real sambar stag or
linen micarta scales would be a very good
selection of materials. They would make for super nice, non-threatening knives; perfect for gift giving. I personally would like a
stockman, canoe, or a barlow style pocket knife. My only problem is that 440V won't
be made anymore, as I would prefer this steel to be used. Use stainless steel bolsters and liners. Save titanium and G-10 for the Cuda or something else, they would be overkill and a turnoff. Make them sturdy and make'm slim. I would pay any price to see the above happen.
My $.02
PR

[This message has been edited by prigger (edited 06 February 1999).]

Prigger,

Upon reflection, I agree with ya relative to titanium/g-10 possibly being overkill for a new series as an opener,although I don't see how the scale material renders an edged tool like a 2 blade pocket knife "threatening". Stainless steel bolsters and liners are fine. G-10 /titanium could be offered as an option, as on Bucks new Odyssey line,I and II,the former with thermoplastic handles, and the latter with premium g-10 scales for a good deal more. Let's see some more blades by Camillus in premium steels, I think it's a great idea.
Stay safe and all the best, Phil <----<

[This message has been edited by Phil Squire (edited 06 February 1999).]

Back