Traditional vs. Turkish/California/Muskrat Clip Blades - What's Yer Pleasure?

Howdy Y'all,

I'm interested to know who prefers which type of clip blade, and why. Personally, I've always just loved the look of a muskrat clip (or Turkish, California, I know there are subtle differences with each). Not to mention that it slices like crazy. But, I can also see how it might not be quite robust enough for some heavy cutting tasks.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Y'all have a good 'urn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the long clips, mostly for looks and they all look good. The standard clips by Case look good but the clip on the current BUck 301 for example is too abrupt.

I prefer a long clip, for pretty much the same reason. A short clip makes the blade look stubby and clumsy. Of course, the long clip is not as strong, so you can't use it as a prybar, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Long clips like on a slim stockman are wonderfully nimble to use. However I think broad classic clips like on most large stockmans are the best overall. The gec 81 stockman is the most ideal example of a clip blade to me, that's partly why I'm so ate up with the 81's. Case 6375 long pull clips are also fantastic.

To my eye, the clip blade on this S&M is about as good as it gets. Medium slender with a good long clip, long pull behind the cut swedge, and not too abrupt of a belly.

SeriesIXopen_zpspuh0v0am.jpg~original

The full clip blades that Camillus made are my favorites.

100_2856.jpg

I usually prefer them a little more broad, and prefer that the "clipped" part of the blade not be longer than half the blade length. Mostly just an aesthetic preference. Here are some that I really like.

8A48681E-B7BE-44D6-908C-93897CA05BC1.jpg

B503EA32-9F03-4BBD-B3D0-F52D48A8433C.jpg

B017AD2A-2356-443A-B626-9535D3A13106.jpg

E2E327FE-5BAB-4007-979A-3AD926321081.jpg

721BB6B7-4C85-43F5-9B6E-7A540F6811C7.jpg

219A09CC-624D-43EA-BEE4-E7CBD0606B83.jpg

I took this photo a while back while considering the similarities and differences between these two knives. Obviously they're different patterns, but the blade combination is the same, other than the fact that the clip on the Case is slim and muskrat-like, while the GEC has a broader clip. I much prefer the blade on the GEC simply because there's more to it. It looks better (to me, of course), I like the placement of the nail nick better than the Case, and if you were looking for a knife you last you a lifetime, it seems to me that you'd get a lot more life out of the broader clip than the slim one.

2CFDCA88-288C-43D2-AB51-F133A4E915D1.jpg

That said, there are certainly knives with slimmer muskrat clips that I like perfectly well. :D

248699F1-3483-4BC9-9FE4-C52F579B10A1.jpg

I think this one is a nice compromise. :D

C29F1949-07CC-4694-B5BB-6340ED0E0A85.jpg

Barrett, I do like the long clip and wider blade (but not too wide) of the Mustangs, but for a wider blade, the one on the #72s has always been my favorite.

54a7f123-92f1-4fdc-a077-dd3f56123bd3_zpsqifqqzgp.jpg~original

And no offense, Case, I like your knives, but the muskrat clip they use on the mini-trapper is my least favorite clip of all time. Just way out of proportion.

I prefer long pulls, but for a standard nick, or even better, one with the match striker, I like it centered in the peak of the clip, right in the middle of the blade.

a537b3fb-67ed-42e3-91d5-31bedc976f56_zpsc9394b86.jpg~original

Last edited:
For it's purely eye-pleasing lines, I love the full clip on the GEC 76 frame pocketknives - it is a practical width too. That said, I am also a lover of California and Turkish Clips; two beautiful variations in my view are the ones on the older Case 18 SS pattern Medium Stockman (before they began polishing the stainless steel blades). Finally I love the Sabre style Turkish Clip on this vintage Schrade 294. OH

Krack-A-Jack_jackknife_opt.jpg

IMG_98541.JPG

Schrade-Walden_294_Mark_.JPG

Clip blades are my default favorites, although I often get more day-to-day mileage (use) out of my sheepsfoot and wharncliffe blades.

IMG_9204.jpg:original

I do not prefer California/Turkish clips, to the point that I don't prefer knives that sport those types of clip blades over others.

A couple favorite favorites:

IMG_5276.jpg~original

SharpThings.jpg~original

~ P.

Lot depends on the kind of frame it's housed in. On Barlows for some reason I've never liked a Clip blade, must be Spear. Turkish Clips work well in slimmer frames or if you want to avoid a high riding hump like on some Stockman knives. Consider the GEC Dixie, it has what I regard as a brilliant selection of blades: Turkish Clip, Wharncliffe, Drop-Point resulting in a sleek profile and handling comfort. Just wish they'd do a smaller version!

I like the Yattagan Clip on Laguiole knives, streamlined and effective. Here's an old David Lag, note the stamped blade, and forward nick for ease of opening.

IMG_2132_1.jpg

Long clips like on a slim stockman are wonderfully nimble to use. However I think broad classic clips like on most large stockmans are the best overall. The gec 81 stockman is the most ideal example of a clip blade to me, that's partly why I'm so ate up with the 81's. Case 6375 long pull clips are also fantastic.

Same here I grew up with an OT8.

In comparing the standard Clip blades on this Case 6347 and 06247 PEN to the Turkish Clip on the 63047, the width is nearly the same, the difference being where the clip cut was begun and how that repositioned the nail nick (and required a frame notch as well). The Turkish has much more belly towards the tip; I like both style blades! OH

From top to bottom:
Case 6347 HP, 3-Dot (1977)
Case 63047 2-Dot (1978)
Case 06247 PEN 5-Dot (1975)

IMG_023512.JPG

For me it depends how they are executed, as well as a good match between the handle and blade.

The turkish clip on these Schrades is a personal favourite.

but it doesn't work so well on this 66

I like it on this 81

But a wide handle necessitates a wider blade

Guess I'm in the minority but for looks AND using, I greatly prefer a long, slender Turkish/California clip.

-- Mark

This, for me it's all about the aesthetic compatibility with the frame. But broad=theoretically better slicer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I strongly prefer a nice broad clip point blade with a long pull. I find the aesthetics to be most pleasing.

nqfN2F7h.jpg

0p7r3tph.jpg

ZizwhDjh.jpg

I'm generally not a fan of skinny clips, but I do make exceptions for knives that I clean fish with, and patterns that are otherwise exceptional.

UqeXOcQh.jpg

SnpdgfGh.jpg

S4ErKjdh.jpg

I love a good clip blade. Not a HUGE fan of the looooong skinny clip like on my Case Trapper THO it is proving itself to be super useful so I guess its only aesthetically that I dont care for it. My favorite by a long shot is a good long pull clip blade and numerous manufacturers over time have gotten it right in my eye!

Matt

Back