Traditionals by Country

Mexico - Handmade Saca Tripas.

If you are going to collect flint knives then prepare yourself for an even greater addiction. When the point searching fever strikes the world stops turning till you find something.
I should know... AARRRROOOO!

U.S.A. -- Congress

CV 4 1/8" Case 6488 Congress
case6488congress1.jpg

This thread begs pictures!!

Beautiful Congress!

You're right Ed, I should have put up a pic of my Le Thiers:

thiers.jpg

but is the peasant knife a traditional new zealand pattern? were shepherds using them in the 1800s? are there 'heirloom' peasant knives in new zealander families? did new zealand troops storm the beaches of normandy with them? lol

interesting stuff in here!
/thread delivers!
We didnt have farmers too established as such..the 1800's was a tough time for New Zealand, if there was ever a farm or plantation built it was soon vandalised by the Maori anyway-a lot of ill feeling with the wars going on etc.
Svord is recognised as being a NZ brand of knife-such as other brands being mentioned here for other countries..Svord of course make many different knives-if you wanted something to relate to New Zealand, you could try and get hold of a Von Tempsky Bowie ( rep ) made by Svord, NZ.

We didnt have farmers too established as such..the 1800's was a tough time for New Zealand, if there was ever a farm or plantation built it was soon vandalised by the Maori anyway-a lot of ill feeling with the wars going on etc.
Svord is recognised as being a NZ brand of knife-such as other brands being mentioned here for other countries..Svord of course make many different knives-if you wanted something to relate to New Zealand, you could try and get hold of a Von Tempsky Bowie ( rep ) made by Svord, NZ.

thanks for the reply. sounds like a representative new zealand knife that would fit with the topic though not 'steeped in centuries of tradition' as some of the older patterns of europe might be.
i have a svord peasant knife that looks like it will be a terrific worker though i havent made an opportunity to use it yet. it has the loud orange plastic handle that should be difficult to lose in the field. lol
thanks again for the reply.

A kiwi "knife" would probably be a bat covered in shark teeth. I've heard that the Maori used shark teeth as a pre-made blade both for utility and weapons. The Svord Peasant is based off of a Bavarian design I think.
Canada's north would have to be the Ulu, Some were made from metorite! The "south" would be either a flint blade, or a trade knife, something simple. The Grohmann great, but I think the hudson bay knife would be more "traditional" most North american indians were still using stone when the europeans arrived.
Very cool idea!

Bowie Knife-USA Can't believe this one wasn't thought of by any Americans yet.
Douk Douk-France

That's all I got,
Connor

This Norwegian Tollekniv is currently winging its way to poster Briantheblade who won it in my 1000 posts giveaway :)

tolleknivsmall2.jpg
[/URL]

Norway: Helle.
Canada: Grohmann
DSC_1774.jpg

Sweden: Frosts Mora
Finland: Lapin Puukko or similar
USA: an original Schrade Old Timer, and a Buck
PrimbleCraftsmanOldTimer.jpg

Switzerland: Swiss Army Knife of course. Either Wenger or Victorinox.
ClimberMatterhorn.jpg

France: Opinel.
DSC_1230.jpg

Germany: Boker, or vintage Bruckmann, or similar
SilverBruckmann.jpg

England: something from Sheffield, like this Needham:
Needhamsmallsenator.jpg

Back